What techniques/styles did you use to survive Black Friday?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Dec 1, 2015.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I had to use sanshin to survive the crowds however once my hands were full with xboxs and giant tv's I had to switch to Mauy Thai. Nothing says stay away from my 70% off discounted Mango Juicer like a ferocious leg sweep.

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

"Best defense - no be there"

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

^^ What Guitar Nado said. On purpose I didn't drive anywhere on Friday. Heck, I didn't even leave my house. ... Come to think of it, I didn't even get out of my pajamas, but the point is that on purpose I wasn't there. "No be there." :D

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What's it like over there on that day? In this country you here about the odd fight but nothing serious.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Not many fights in London.

ASDA (the British branch of Walmart) decided not to be part of it, due to the fights from last year.

6. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I went to Costco and everybody was fairly nice. I also was shopping for dress clothes at Macy's and people were messy, like leaving things on the floor but overall not bad.

Then again, nothing says "don't screw with me" like a half crazy smile that dares them to try.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

8. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Been to a Systema seminar where they teach a "wave movement" (not like in TKD) and breathing to help you stay calm and move quickly in a crowded situation.

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

That's one of the few things I like about Systema.

10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I like to shop in a tie chi style, relaxed, upright, breath naturally, strong legs to resist the shoving. shoulders relaxed down, elbows relaxed in and down from shoulders, ward off from the feet then hips, and repulse the monkeys till I get to the checkout. :)

11. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

I used techniques learned in a McDojo for my Black Friday shopping - I got it from the internet...

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Eskrima/Kali...

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Awareness... then Avoidance.

Actually, where I live there is never a problem. We don't have a lot of big retail stores (nor a huge population). A good crowd goes out to enjoy the sales but it has never escalated into anything like the videos show.

This year, I was in Ottawa (Ontario, Canada) on Black Friday and there was fairly little activity going on... a few sales around but not a huge shopping contingent from what I could see.

The media seems to make a lot out of a few (horrible) incidents, but those are pretty isolated.

14. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I won the battle of Black Friday using intelligence, timing, angle and mechanical advantage.

Gear and training material through online sales FTW.

Picked up some gear from Scramble and a few great downloads from Roy Dean Academy and CSW site (Cheers to Ben Gash for an excellent bit of intel).

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I used positioning. I didn't put myself in a place where conflict occurred.

I stayed home. No deal is worth the crowds and hassle to me. I never do "Black Friday." I find the whole idea of people fighting over gifts for people to celebrate a holiday just ridiculous.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I was busy being turned in to Wolverine. Roar.

17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

My wife and her friends bring a lot of kids to stand by all sales they want until the buzzer

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Particularly given that the very day before, they were celebrating being thankful for all that they have. :rolleyes: :dunno: I don't get it. I really don't.