Martial arts questions

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Music Man, Nov 21, 2015.

1. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I think that would be a tricky situation because if you're choking, you're typically in a position of control. I don't know about the laws governing your region but for me in California and going through school, if I, a martial artist (doesn't matter how good or terrible I am, I just have to have some sense of formal training), get into a position of power/control where I can de-escalate the situation, I am obligated to. At least this was the policy at my highschool, I haven't figured out the college one yet, but then again, I just take my frustrations out on the pitch.

Actually in school they told me I couldn't hit back either, I could bob and weave as well as push and block, but I couldn't hit back with intent to hurt. I guess blocking is shown as a defensive technique.

If you're in a position to choke, you're probably really close to that person already and have already failed something I used to see preached all the time when somebody came here looking for "street stuff." That was de-escalation and fleeing. If you have to fight, you already aren't doing your job in taking steps to de-escalate. If you have time to choke, you could probably have fled, or atleast flee and get in contact with the police as soon as the assailant lets go. Chokes and submission holds also put a lot of risk on the user because of your proximity to the assailant as well as your vulnerability to his buddies. You're all tangled up and you can't protect yourself from most people. Kajukenbo, which was one of those martial arts formed with the "street" aspect in mind, doesn't have too many chokes or submission holds in it's curriculum. At least in my branch the Chuan Fa, GGM Gaylord's Method, -> Pallen System (which includes some TKD and another martial art + Kajukenbo), we don't have that many chokes or submissions. Our defensive techniques do include some takedowns and sweeps but you are meant to quickly dispatch the threat, breaking something or hitting them in a vital area (groin or face) where you can switch your focus to the other guy ... if there is one.

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In the UK no, can't advise you in Virginia. As you're not attempting to kill them it shouldn't be attempted murder.

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Just a side note. Most MMA gyms train both kickboxing and boxing (mine does) so its plausible you could work just hands and grappling. Why not contact a facility, talk about your goals and concerns and see if you can form an arrangement?

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pro tip: when you pick an art, when you're training do not worry about getting injured. If you worry, it will happen. I don't know why this phenomenon occurs but I swear it's real. Don't think about injuries or anything.

5. Antonius

Antonius Valued Member

I know little of the law but I'd say a punch looks less like an attempt at murder than a choke.

As for krav maga mentioned earlier in this thread; avoid it.

I was lucky to get an instructor that was ex-IDF. Most instructors out there are guys with weekend seminar certificates. Total McDojo. Even my school went downhill as soon as it became succesful. It used to behard contact, high cardio en full resistance. These days when they post a new class video it just makes me cringe.

EDIT: I'd go for boxing unless the BJJ school also has kickboxing.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I wouldn't count the number of techniques you can use - it's more of a general body IQ you get from these things. Distance, timing, speed, the ability to stay cool with your adrenaline, etc. BJJ will get you in good shape, give you good grappling abilities and allow you the choice between a choke, joint lock or just feeding the dude his teeth.

In my opinion, I'd go for BJJ. Grappling is foundational and the only way to avoid grappling is to be good at grappling. Plus your hands yo.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Many places have separate classes, for the different ranges,/arts if your worried about hurting your hands boxing, then Thai boxing is excellent, not only are elbows, knees and shins incredibility hard to injure, but also legally kicking a mans legs out is far more legally acceptable then punching a man unconscious.

8. Dead_pool

http://crimlaw.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/castle-doctrine-and-virginia.html

it depends on context.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Short answer: no
    Long answer: No it isn't

Techniques have no inherent ethics or legality in and of themselves unless specifically designated as such; shooting someone is always lethal force option for example, although it is not always attempted murder

A choke is a high percentage success, moderate risk of injury technique - the mens rea of the individual using it dictates the majority of the follow up/Aftermath

10. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

Even with my bad left knee and bad lower back you still think muay thai is a better choice then boxing for me? Also, how do muay thai punches compare to boxing punches? Are they the same?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  11. Hannibal

Similar, but not as good in general. That said certainly more than enough for SD

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Dude, I've told you already....

I HAVE USED BJJ IN STREET FIGHT SITUATIONS.

There are standing chokes, standing arm locks/shoulder locks and throws. All of those can end a fight. And I know you're a noob, but going to the ground in a street fight is NOT a bad thing. I'm experienced in this and I'm telling you the truth.

13. Hannibal

It has it's place certainly, but would not and should not be a first strategic choice. Far more sensibly it should be practiced to enable the ground to be a place of comfort and not a place of disadvantage or inexperience

One on one - the "square go" situation - is a different matter of course.

14. Dead_pool

If you have a bad back /knee etc the very first thing is to get them rehabed.

And yes Muay thai punches are pretty much the same.

Currently your massively over thinking this.

15. Hannibal

+1 !!!

16. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Hey Music Man, have skimmed through this thread and thought you might find this useful:
    http://www.geoffthompsoninspired.com/questions-to-geoff-thompson/
    This guy really knows his stuff when it comes to reality based SD in street. I was going to do boxing 3 times a week then I found out the Judo club within 10 mins walk from me has BILLY CUSACK as the head coach! Can't believe my luck so it'll be 2x boxing and 1x Judo. If you can find a good Judo club, I would seriously consider it. Judo guys and girls are HARD AS NAILS as they get thrown around and throw other people around. Having muscles and strength help too so you should be lifting :)

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  17. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

My back and knee are life long issues. I've had rehab for them so now it's just maintenance on those issues.

I do tend to over think things! :)

18. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Given your profession...one would think Arnis/Escrima would be right up your alley.

Just carry a pair of Vic Firth Magnums in yer back pocket and bob's your uncle. Carry two pair and you can play "Four Sticks" as well as fight off the bad guys. :D

19. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Going to go the classic, dodge the question route.

The best style for you isn't necessarily going to be the best style that we think. When going about this, think these things.

1. What's close to me?
    2. How's the instruction?
    2b. Can I take free trial classes?
    3. Does this style work best with my physical ability?
    4. What does it focus on? Competition, Self Defense, Traditions, Practicality?
    5. Why am I sitting here still thinking about it?

The best style for you to use to protect yourself is the style that fits best with you, something you, (Insert Name Here), can use efficiently. Part of that comes with a lack of hesitation, or rather, uncomfortableness with your style. If you aren't comfortable with what you are doing, and in no way shape or form can you perform, then you're not going to use it "instinctively." You'll hesitate, and in those split second decisions, you could get injured. None of us on here are perfect, and all of us have different opinions on styles that we think work best. That is from our own experience in those styles using our bodies, minds, and natural "talents." You'll make your style work if you use the one that works for you.

Personally, I have a problem with these style vs style things, even though it is a great way to pitch Kajukenbo. This is because we all have our little quirks that work best for us. We can point you in the direction we THINK you'll excel in, but the only person who can really determine your success is you and maybe a very well trained/certified instructor.
    Ex: You get surprised and you're confronted and get into a fight. Your initial inclination is to kick ... (for example's purposes). You get into punching range, and you're thinking, "uhhh I don't like this" and back away quickly to get more space to kick. You CAN punch, but it could feel awkward for you. Why are you going to force yourself to punch in a situation where you're uncomfortable doing it? I'm not saying, never take boxing or never learn how to go toe to toe, but build on your strengths.

For me, I'm not much of a puncher. I can block really well with my arms/hands and protect myself, but I always find myself reverting back to kicking range. I CAN go toe to toe but it doesn't flow as well for me as throwing some light punches to build space then throw a hard leg or body kick. I don't suck at punching and I can certainly punch hard, fast, and accurate, but if worse came to worse, and I had a choice of my range, I would definitely go for kicking the life out of their legs.

tl;dr, go with your strengths but have sufficient training to get your backup defenses/striking game up to par.

I just found this interesting video about Jiu Jitsu and stuff like that in general so ... I'll just post it here as an edit so I don't double post.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STAqTwaojOM"]Jiu Jitsu Perspective - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  20. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter