Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

So let me get this straight - you give him a black eye THEN you tap him out, and somehow you're the one getting revenge here?

Sheesh. Women. :p

2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Well.... yes. :D

But you don't get it, I gave him a black eye in partner drills when he was nice to me, because I was injured and not supposed to walk yet and I accidently hit his temple. I appologized so many times and he wasn't angry. But when we meet, he'd greet me by rubbing his eye, he'd introduce me to his wife or friends by telling them: You know how I had that huge black eye once and the girl I told you about? That's her! etc. Isn't that mean? :D :p

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

this is a good sign. you are finally becoming evil! :D

4. Nachi

Haha, perhaps it is indeed that you finally managed to brainwash me :D :p

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

it's good to be bad :evil:

6. Rand86

Nope. :D

For reference, I ain't letting Fish forget the one time he punched me in the eye any time soon either. :p

7. Nachi

Sheesh... men :D

Haha, good for him! :D but I didn't even hit his eye! It was just a temple. And he claimed to have gained a huge blackeye! And I was supposed to aim at his temple... Not really hit it, but still! :D It was an accident! And I did appologize! :D

8. Rand86

:whistle:

Oops! Reading comprehension ftw. :bang:

9. Nachi

For a change, here is a few action or other pictures from the weekend:

[​IMG]
    A birthday party. The 4 of us sitting are celebrating, I'm in the blue.

[​IMG]
    Kumite training - me against friend

[​IMG]
    The moment of triumph - my successful choke (what a rare thing!) :)

[​IMG]
    Me agianst sensei. I somehow survived this time, too :)

10. Nachi

Monday 30.11.15:

18:30-20:00 - Beginner class:
    - warm-up
    - pushing against a partner, back to back while sitting down, had a lot of trouble with mine, she first pushed me back, but then I pushed her again at the starting line and I won in the end, but after a long, long struggle :)
    - game about reflexes
    - stretching in pairs - today was the first time, when I was able to put more or less my whole body to on the floor when stretching with outstretched legs and pushing body down in the middle :) Quite a bit happy about this :)
    - Pad drills:
    - ura tsuki
    - 2x ura tsuki + ushiro geri (back kick)
    - 2x uraken uchi + ushiro geri
    - 2x tsuki + ushiro geri
    - ura-mawashi geri (hook kick) + ushiro geri - sensei encouraged my partner to hold the pads or ura-mawashi high enough, to challenge me, which definitely did work, as I had to kick perhaps slightly above my head or at the upper half of my head at least and I don't find it easy with hook kick...
    - kihon ido:
    - oi tsuki + gyaku tsuki + ushiro geri
    - 2x uraken uchi + ura-mawashi geri + ushiro geri (hook + back kick)
    - mae + mawashi + yoko + ushiro geri (front + roundhouse + side + back kick)

- short work-out

20:00-21:30 - Self-defence for women:
    - the same worm-up, pushing against a partner, game or reflexes and stretching
    - practising strikes we learned - against being hugged from behind
    - falling
    - go wild on pads for 30 s
    - short work-out

1 Sanchin

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  11. Nachi

Tuesday 1.12.15:

16:00-17:00 - Mini class:
    When I thought about the program for today's lesson, I was making a plan what to do if the original, younger students came or what to do, if, like last week, the older ones showed up. To my surprise, all of them were present - 5 young screaming, but nice kids. I think the class went well, it was fun, I tried to make it fun. The only slight problem once again was the youngest boy, who would sulk all the time, like when he was tagged in a game of tag etc. Then he would go around with a nasty face not wanting to participate in the next game because everyone is bad to him... It's hard to talk him out of it in a class with 4 other kids waiting for the game... :(

17:00-18:00 - Intermediate kids (+- yellow belts):
    Sensei came for this lesson, but blocked the door for me: "Ohoho, you're not going anywhere!" It turned out because of a night shift he hadn't slept since Monday morning and wanted to take it easy. He made the kids play games and stretch by themselves, then repeating San Dan Gi Ichi for the grading. He was going around, correcting mistakes and put me in the front as the reference for the kids who wouldn't get the stances right. And ALWAYS when it came to horse stance, he would go to like every single kid telling them how to do a proper horse stance, while the rest including me, of course, would have to stay in the stance and go "deeper, deeper!" Then sensei slowly, inconspicously handed the teaching over to me, telling me to count, he's too tired, to continue practising with them while he goes away for a while, then to teach them San Dan Gi Ni and repeat kata. By that time he was already gone somewhere :D At least I got to practise, too.

18:00-20:00 - Advanced adult and children class:
    For our training he found some remaining energy it seemed. After a warm-up and stretching we practised kata: 1x Gekisai Dai Ichi, Ni, Saifa and 2x Seiyunchin (because I didn't know the next kata, I repeated the highest I knew).
    An almost 4 minute workout switching between 5 different exercises in circle, without break. I did feel my abdominal muscles...
    At the last advanced class with this sensei we went through bunkai for GKI and did oyo bunkai, too. Today was time for Gekisai Dai Ni bunkai. First we practised each in pairs, then did oyo bunkai - continue with our techniques, with taking the partner down encouraged. For the last two bunkai sensei gave us some inspiration how to go for several joint locks or a throw from those bunkai, then we got to practise. I struggled with some joing locks and I as usually lacked creativity. But I'd love to get better at this. Then we went through the people, who would randomly attack while we were supposed to answer with one of the bunkai and finish somehow, taking them down if possible. The bunkai took about an hour.
    Contrary to our expectations sensei found some energy for his usually quite tough work out. First we made a circle and were doing squats for the whole lenght of some song. Then he played another, 5-minute song while we were supposed to do calf raises. Calves felt like on fire and refused to obey after some time, I was loosing control, but sensei finally said to switch to crunches...
    Then sensei found the "Bring Sally up, bring Sally down" song (I should have never showed it to him). The push-up challenge is way too much for me. I tried today, but shoulder hurt, I rearranged hands and tried again, but didn't do very well, took a short break and tried once more, but didn't feel too well about it...

1 Sanchin

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  12. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

In my mind, even if you didn't connect with the spinning backfist it sounds like it kept your sensei from being able to capitalize on having your back turned. I know from experience that being attacked from behind sucks, so that's a successful technique in my books.

13. Nachi

Well, yeah, from that point of view it was, thanks :) I'm also happy I thought of doing something instead of just waiting to be hit... I never thought a strike like that would actually come to my mind, but what sensei told me sounded a bit like a praise, so I'll try to add the spinning back fist to my arsenal of techniques :) Though I'm not really planning to be turning my back to my sparring partners voluntarily :)

14. Nachi

Wednesday 2.12.15:

17:30-18:30 - Beginner class at uni:
    - Practising various kicks to the pads - knee strike, front kick, roundhouse kick, back kick, flying front kick, side kick, kin geri = groin kick?
    - Then hands: tsuki, hooks, uppercuts for the last 10 mins, but I was holding the small pads so the students could practise

18:30-19:30 - Beginner class at uni II:
    - Most people stayed form the first lesson, only two new came so we didn't do the exact same thing, but practised the same kicks in the air, then in the pads, more drills for hands (I was again holding the pads for that)
    - 30 secs hit the big pad, then kick it, then do what the pad holder hints
    - around 100 crunches

1 Sanchin

15. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Yup, from personal experience this is not the most effective strategy in a fight.

16. Nachi

Thursday 3.12.15:

18:40-20:15 - Beginner to intermediate class:
    - Warm up with kihon - basic techniques - practising for grading again
    - stretching
    - 120 "half sit-ups"
    - 2 minute plank while sensei testing our knowledge about our karate by asking about the late masters and basic info
    - Basic techniques and combinations practised in pairs for us more advanced, in front of the mirror for the beginners
    - On of the exercises was that both partners stand in horse stance, one strikes, the other blocks. Sensei would always leave us in the horse stance and go around correcting mistakes. Too much horse stance for my liking... :)
    - Belly work-out that was the focus of today's training:
    - Lay on back, swing legs up into the candle position and back - 60x I think
    - Hold stretched legs a bit above floor untl six people count to ten (certainly more then a minute)
    - Legs up, bend one and always go with one elbow to the other knee (60x? or perhaps 120x?)
    - Balance on butt and leaning on hands, stretch legs out and bend them back, don't put them down - 120x - I couldn't do it without putting then down, I probably still hadn't recovered from Tuesday's workout...
    - Maybe some other exercise I forgot about, not sure
    - 1x Saifa

- Then for a while after a looong time I would do a little bit of ground fighting with a friend and review a couple of techniques he taught me.
    - Reviewed a few more advanced kihon and kihon ido we'll need for our grading. Checked with sensei what techniques hide under some of those names. I think I'll find at least a bit of time to practise this weekend...

- 1 Sanchin

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  17. Nachi

Friday + Saturday 4.-5.12.15: 1x Sanchin each day. I completely forgot about Sanchin on Sunday D:

Monday 7.12.15:

16:30-17:30 - Beginner children class:

- Warm-up with a game and push-of-war that I participated in to be a partner for the olders boy. Who's taller than me and managed to tire me out quite a bit before I pushed him to the wall! :)
    - Same body-weight exercises and mostly going quickly through most of the techniques they'll need for the first grading. Also some footwork and reminder of what some of the basic stances look like.

18:30-20:00 - Beginner adult class:
    After a while today again 16 people came, 2 were actually new (from the uni course and self-defence).
    - Warm up in pairs in seiza trying to slap the other person - 3 rounds
    - 2 rounds of the same + hitting the stomach also allowed
    - One person lies down, on the front side, the other has to turn them, putting their back on the floor
    - Junbi Undo
    - cca 40 knuckle-push-ups (on mats today, though) with sensei continuously and rather quickly counting. And 'cause I can't do them that well and especially that fast, I managed maybe only a half, maybe a little more (?) :( Good and surprising thing was that my shoulder didn't hurt! Apparently knuckle push-ups work, too :)
    - 5 knuckle push-ups where you stay low for a while - I think I did 3 or 4 and couldn't go nearly as low as sensei
    - Stay in the push-ups position, but lift one arm, then the other
    - Quick, but relatively exhausting belly work-out
    - Practising some easy combinations - partner drills with turning in a circle and quickly changing partners after each rep
    - Repeating basic techniques till the end. Beginners and more advanced students in separate groups practising strikes + three basic block. For us the same, but more quickly and also open-handed strikes and open-handed equivalent blocks.
    - all people in circle holding each others shoulders - 5 squats going up and down slowly, then 20 jumping squats :cry: I don't know why, but I have a feeling that the bigger the circle - the more people there are, the more difficult this exercise is. I was totally reaching my limits with only 20 squats, which seems almost embarrasing, when I just write it down :D And a few people gave up after a few or in the middle, so it wasn't only my feeling, at least :)

20:10-21:50 - Self-defence for women:
    - Same slapping and turning games for a warm-up and Junbi Undo

- Circuit training with gloves to sharpen reactions and to exhaust us a bit: :)
    - As a note I have to say I had to take bigger gloves that were pretty uncomfortable, because I would hit partly with my thumbs. And since I managed to hit the one I hurt a few weeks back today, I tended to compromise the strikes and had a terrible technique. Especially after today I really do dislike hitting pads with gloves on...
    - 3 posts were about sitting an a punching bag, pretending it's a lying aggressor and attack in whatever way
    - 2x heavy bag - do whatever
    - 2x spar or hit a guy with body padding and small pads in hands
    - 1x escape sensei's wrist/neck/T-shirt or whatever grabs using what we learned. There sensei also tried on me the same takedown one of my sparring partners used on me at the sparring session last Sunday (going after my legs, pushing head to belly to make me fall over). I "hugged" his back and was going for the same choke (guillotine, I think). I squeezed and squeezed, but as expected, sensei didn't care much, lifted me up, I still tried to squeeze, but to no avail :( Kicking him didn't look easy, either, as he would squeeze my legs in turn and I couldn't think of any effective defence. And there I thought I was able to use a new nice technique since the guy from last week tapped out quicky... :( Sensei only indicated that now he could easily smash me down. Dang, I need to think or probably ask him how to avoid this... Perhaps I should have forced his head into an angle now that I think about it, but I'm not sure if I could do that when he lifted me up... Yeah, I should really ask or try with someone.
    - last post for precision in hitting small target

- Then the three guys took the small pads and we would try a few combinations on them
    - stretching in pairs

...I'm really tired after today

1 Sanchin

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  18. Nachi

Tuesday 8.12.15:

16:00-17:00 - Mini class:
    Only two small boys today, played some games, I made them run or go acros obstacles and tried to incorporate some techniques, then pull-of war and a game with the older kids waiting for their class.

18:15-20:00 - Advanced class:
    - Warm-up with kihon - punches and open-handed strikes in the air, then lie down on your back, quickly get up without using hands, do three strikes, quickly lie down 10x
    - 3 basic blocks (age, yoko, harai uke), then lie on your belly, quickly get up, do all 3 block, quickly lie down, 10x
    - 3 open-handed blocks (ko, haishu, kaishu uke), then lie on the back, sit-up and lie on the belly, get up, do three blocks, lie down, 10x
    - stretching
    - I think there was some belly work-out here, probably
    - In six pairs we practised bunkai. One partner attacks on both sides, slowly, then moves to the next partner, after finishing the round, do one more with full power; then the other partner attacks and does the same
    - After completing one bunkai in this way, 20 push-ups, 20 crunches, 20 (shiko dachi) squats
    - We did all the bunkai for Gekisai Dai Ichi and Gekisai Dai Ni - 9 altogether
    - After the last bunkai, we did double the bodyweight exercises to reach a nice number of 200 push-ups, 200 crunches and 200 squats per training
    - And I think my shoulder is actually getting better :)
    - Stretching

- Social evening till early morning - I didn't do my Sanchin :(

19. Nachi

Wednesday 9.12.15:

17:30-18:30 - Beginner class at uni:
    - Light "slapping" sparring (slap the partner's head, then slap him or hit his stomach)
    - Stretching
    - Related drills - I didn't participate, but helped correcting
    - Same type of sparring again
    - Plank - each of the 14 people counts to ten. I think most people counted more slowly then seconds, so it was 140+ second plank

18:30-19:30 - Beginner class at uni:
    - again short "slapping" sparring
    - Kicking drills in pairs - practising various kicks - roundhouse, front and hook kick, changing directions with kicks (hint front kick, do a roundhouse; hint roundhouse to chest, but go head-height), etc.
    - Light sparring - no gear on; only 4 rounds - no time for the last one, so I didn't get to spar with sensei :(
    - seems short but we did a lot of the kicking and I can't remember if there was something else, probably not...

1 Sanchin

20. Nachi

Thursday 10.12.15:

18:50-20:30 - Beginner to advanced class:
    Today was probably my last class before grading and the class was again about practising for it. We were divided into groups of beginners, yellow belts and orange belts and each group chose what we wanted to practise. I wanted basic techniques for our grade - kihon and kihon ido and we practised them most of the time, which was great. Then we did some kakie (pushing hands) and kakie kumite - with techniques of our choice, which is something we didn't practise lately but should appear in the grading. Then sensei told us to go through bunkai for GDI and GDN (first two katas) and at the end we did one Saifa, our highest kata, excluding Sanchin.
    Sensei reminded us not to be nervous, but well, that's easier said then done. I'm pretty sure my energy will run at the first block of basic techniques, when we'll be required to go full power.
    Another sensei told me I and others should have no problem, that we're not higher belts just because of the time requirements, but I'm still afraid I'll mess up... And if I do, I'll only feel even worse :D

Keep your fingers crossed for me on Tuesday! :)

1 Sanchin