Tongbeiquan and Lung Ying

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Nykout, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Hello
    Would it create a good synergy to combine Tongbeiquan with Lung Ying? From what I know the former one is more internal, while the latter is more external, if that matters. Anyway, what do you think?
    Thanks

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Neither one is more internal than the other. It depends on how well you compartmentalise, but likely to just end up confusing you, and you're making assumptions about Tong Bei's close range elements that may not be true.

3. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

So it's a bad idea to combine those two? I mean, are there elements that would compose well together, or is it generally not worth?

4. Ben Gash CLF

It may well not be worth it, because you may not get anything from the one that you don't get from the other.

5. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

I see, thank you. I would also like to ask, knowing that you are very experienced in Chinese martial arts (as opposed to me), which one would seem like a better choice. I have 5 years experience in Capoeira and Kyokushin Karate, so the things I lack most are standing joint locks and ground fighting. With this information, could you please give me an advice on which of the Kung Fu styles would it be more reasonable to choose?

6. Ben Gash CLF

Well neither one is going to teach you much about ground fighting, but also having known and trained with Kyokushin guys there's a lot for you to learn about punching and handfighting.
    They're equally decent choices, and any decent Kung Fu school should teach punching, kicking, wrestling and locks/holds.
    Probably worth bearing in mind that the Lung Ying school is in Hemel Hempstead, which may not be that accessible for you.

7. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Not knowing that much about Tongbei, I would like to ask what are its characteristics except from the fact that a great deal of attention is paid to transfering energy through the back?

8. Ben Gash CLF

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=145AZIBAhZ0"]Strider Clark Combat / Tongbei Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwaK6zDrWEk"]Strider Clark Combat / Tongbei Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp95oSZDUDo"]tongbei - YouTube[/ame]

9. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Thank you very much, the videos are very informative. One last question though, a thing that I couldn't quite tell from the videos. Which of the 2 styles, Tongbei and Lung Ying, focuses more on Qin Na elements?

10. Ben Gash CLF

Very much depends on who's teaching it.

11. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  12. Ben Gash CLF

No, judging by their lineage chart they teach Qi style Wuxing Tongbei, this means that the two lineages diverged at the first generation of students (mid 19th century)

13. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Well, I kind of hoped for the Shi style to be honest. It is known to focus more on the martial aspect of Tongbei. I will probably choose Lung Ying then.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Says who????

15. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

16. Ben Gash CLF

Where does it say it on the Wikipedia article???
    The first site is a Shi style site ;)

17. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

As for the wikipedia: "The old style emphasizes simplicity and power whereas the new style concentrates on exquisiteness and suppleness." The old style being the Shi style. Unless I misinterpreted something, in that case, my bad.

18. Ben Gash CLF

Lao Qi Pai is the old style, Also that doesn't really say anything about combativeness.

19. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

So, in other words, there is no difference in the focus on the martial aspect between Qi and Shi styles?

20. Ben Gash CLF

They appear very similar to me. Teacher is typically more important than system anyway.