BJJ too complicated?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Prizewriter, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I think the biggest difference is grips and friction/pace. Obviously no collar choke too haha.

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Chokes would probably be the weakest part of my game as it is, i'd end up being the white belt asking why i couldn't knee bar everyone.

3. Knee Rider

You a SAMBO guy?

Edit - just chwcked. You are! Nice. Always liked the look of SAMBO/SOMBO.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Yeah, granted, i spent more time training for combat sambo, so i'm probably at my best when i'm trying to ground and pound someone, either that or trying to use a punch to set up a throw or vice versa.

I'm much the same with BJJ, like the look of it, and it would probably correct some of my less practical habits, at the minute it's not a really feasible idea though.

5. Knee Rider

I train MMA so I am mindful of strikes and train with strikes in my Jitz very frequently. It's a real game changer!

6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Sounds like my best bet would be to find an MMA gym, although, i'm pretty sure the wife would murder me if i started up training striking again, she gets jealous if other people hit me in the head.

7. Knee Rider

Haha.

My girlfriend isn't a big fan of me cuddling half naked sweaty men either... she's OK with my martial arts training though :p

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Yeah, i messed up marrying a hippie, she'd be way happier if i cuddled sweaty half naked men than lace up a pair of gloves again, i have tried to ask her why she is so against violence, but she usually clips me behind the ear and tells me not to ask questions, her views on her pacifism are rather exceptional...i'm unfortunately the exception.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Haha, my girlfriend knows straight up if it came to it it wouldn't end well for her. She makes loads of sacrifices for me and I'm grateful for it though :3

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I'm fortunate the my girlfriend likes MMA, boxing, BJJ etc and she's boxed and done BJJ herself. thing is I'm no longer interested in them. I'd get laughed at if I wanted to do...other arts. She wasn't impressed when I took up capoeira.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Women, amirite?

12. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I'm kind of ok with it, she's so obviously not a match it's kind of funny when she tries, that and she couldn't bring herself to do anything more than slap, i've been bit worse by mosquitoes, besides, she's probably just worried if i got any more punchy i'd drive her insane...well, moreso.