Best places to purchase white goods?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Sep 1, 2015.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I bought a new apartment on the 17th of August and have been thoroughly enjoying decorating it from scratch. Painting my own home for the first time was extremely satisfying, carpets were done today and I'm officially in there now. (About to spend my first night here.) I've done all new furnishings. I need help with the last bits.

Where are the best places for white goods, I need a new cooker/oven, fridge freezer and washing machine. Is online shopping OK for these places? Should I be checking out second hand places for a better deal? What would you recommend?

Also, blinds or curtains? Pros and cons? Also where from?

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I've got an Ikea fridge freezer, it was dirt cheap and it's the most functional one I've ever had.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Congrats on the purchase!

I've used online retailers for most big purchases like that, and they've been fine even when the retailer goes bust. If you're using a smaller retailer, make sure you use a credit card, as if the item costs £100 or more you get free protection from the credit card issuer against any problems the retailer would be liable to. This is called Section 75 insurance and it's well worth being aware of when making a large purchase.

I've been looking at this site for my next purchases but have no personal experience with them yet: http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/

4. CrowZer0

Thanks I'll be sure to check. That out!

5. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

When I first moved into my own home I pointed my wallet towards John Lewis and Fenwick but only during sale time. The people who delivered installed and levelled the washing machine, fridge, whatever (yes I do know it's easy to do it yourself), they ran a test cycle on the washer, took away the packaging, and left me to admire these items.

Also they chuck in 2 years guarantee as standard (or they did when I was buying).

Good luck though. The whole "furnishing a new home deal" was a total testicle ache for me...

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

We almost always use John Lewis for things like this. Their advice is excellent, they don't try to sell you the most expensive product, their delivery and installation is brilliant, as are their guarantees and they will often price match things too.

7. CrowZer0

Furnishing is done, I really enjoyed the process. All I bought with me was gadgets, (pcs, laptops, ps3, ps4, kindle etc) Kettle, Toaster, Microwave, Coffee maker, TV, Desk. Everything else is new, I just have white goods left, internet was done today I need a bathroom cabinet too... B&Q?

8. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I had to start from scratch - carpets and flooring, painting and decorating, sofa, bed, bedside cabinets, kitchen table, chairs, washing machine, fridge, etc. I did however, bring my own TV and consoles, phew!

Bathroom cabinet wise I bought an undersink thing from Argos for the en suite (also bought book shelves from there) though you don't get an awful of space in them as it sits around the sink pedestal (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8332763.htm).

In the main bathroom we have another undersink thing that is just a few baskets on a frame. I think that was from Clas Ohlson or maybe Argos... Hmmm...

9. CrowZer0

I got a Swan fridge freezer from someone on Gumtree for £55, very happy with it! In perfect condition, a guy got divorced and moved back in with his parents so had to get rid of it.

Got a belling gas cooker from a second hand place fitted, delivered everything for £100 and again in perfect condition, it was new, someone lost a door screw, through warranty got a brand new one, didn't have to send old one back, then later found the screw. Got lucky there!