Matvei's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by matveimediaarts, Apr 19, 2013.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

same circuit as 22 August. I am strong like ox! RAAWWRRR!!! :D Started trying to do multiple pirouettes with very short stoppage in between. Not too shabby. :) I have to do my ballet homework later. I left my notes at home. :/

2. matveimediaarts

Some basic arm stuff with barbells in the back yard. I miss my gym. :( :'( Also, bo basics.

3. matveimediaarts

So far, 1 hour ballet. Pique turns improving a lot, but still embarrassing a bit. :/ Introduction of some new steps which threw me through a loop. :eek: Hopefully I'll get it eventually.
    Kissed Julia after class. My heart's all a-flutter. :D <3

Found a gym down the street which looks good. :) Going in for a free trial Monday.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. matveimediaarts

Today I begin training at a new gym. :) No mini-session shenannigans and enough weights and equipment to give one a mental orgasm. :D Just did my usual gym business. :)

I'll have you know I also did staff and sword kata yesterday. :cool:

5. matveimediaarts

9/3
    usual gym routine in the morning. Continuing to experiment with unfamiliar equipment. Kobudo class in the evening.
    9/4
    Staff in the morning, 1 hour sword in the evening. Basics, batta-ho, Toyama-ryu-all iaito stff.

9/5
    same as 9/3, except no classes today. Growing ever-stronger...RAAAWWRRRR!!! I did do more cardio, though. Still experimenting around with new toys and learning the layout...occasionally staring rudely at the cute gals. :D ETA: also using various equipment as improvised barre for ballet stretches now. Can't do turns and such because the surface is too rough and there are no sliders. :( ETA2: Also more experimenting with kettlebell madness.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  6. matveimediaarts

So far, 1 hour ballet. The soles of my new shoes are unusually sticky today...required a lot of chalk rubbing just to get a decent surface for turns. :p Lots of stretching. Then standing and jumping in various manners en releve. Tendus and such things. Then floor exercises; chasse, pabourre, etc. Teacher says it's evident that I've been practicing. :) I'm definitely feeling more comfortable with the forms and routines now. Nice to see the ever-lovely and charming Julia again. ~heart flutters~

7. matveimediaarts

Tonight-30-40 minutes of sword. All iaito, all the time. Happo giri and the batta ho patterns a bunch of times. gtg to sleep early for ballet class in the morning. Taking my new strength training book with me to the gym to try out one of the routines designed for MMA, with a few additions for dance.

Squats, split squats and lunges, bent leg deadlifts,standing rows, "pressing movements" (it seems to mean benchpress and such), OHP, shoulder rotations,cable chops/rotation, olympic lifts, jump squats. I reckon I'll add bicep curls and tricep pulldown/press, leg press/leg curl, and ankle flexion and see how it works out. :)

8. matveimediaarts

Messing around with a routine from a training book. Didn't really do much for me, but it has some interesting variations in it.
    squats
    split squats and lunges
    bent leg deadlifts
    standing rows
    "pressing movements" (benchpress, etc)
    OHP, barbell and dumbell, also some in zen kutsu
    shoulder rotation
    cable chops/rotation
    jump squats
    Then some stuff I'm used to...
    Bicep curls, dumbell/barbell
    Tricep pulldown/press
    leg press/curl
    ankle flexion

9. matveimediaarts

In the AM, first full day of PVCC ballet this semester. Tendus, ronde de jambs, barre stuff, and then a lot of scary floor exercises. :eek: Hoping my new teacher continues the pace all semester because it's very helpful. There's no chalk in the studio though. WTF? My shoes are new and still need breaking in, people! :/ I'm getting myself some damn chalk!
    Gym stuff- stretch
    legpress
    leg curl
    leg extension
    hips
    abs,
    chest flyes
    shrugs, dumbell standing and in zen. barbell-160 lbs+bar
    bicep curls, dumbells and barbie
    tricep madness
    deadlifts
    squats
    lat pull down
    bench press
    OHP
    machines

Kobudo in the evening, 1 hour of basics and kata and kumi bo

10. matveimediaarts

9/11-Swordiness. The others were doing their exams (Shinkendo bokken and iaito, Toyama Ryu iaito), but I was allowed to follow along to prepare for my exam later this year. Class ran really long and late, but good practice. Shihan said I've improved a lot. :) I reckon I'll make ichimonji rank when I test. Not so sure about Toyama Ryu, but I hope to gain some rank. It's actually a more interesting/challenging/flashy iaito style.

Today so far-lots of stretches, cardio-ing and lifting heavy things. And gawking at the pretty ladies, of course. :D

Added power clean and power snatch to the routine. Started with empty bar and then added a few plates.

Kettlebell madness
    Legpress, both varieties
    leg crul
    leg extension
    hip induction/adduction
    pushups of all sorts
    pullups
    ab stuff of all sorts
    shrugs, barbell and dumbell
    biceps
    triceps
    deadlifts
    squats
    forward/side raises
    lat pulldown
    OHP, dumbell-standing and in zen; regular barbie OHP

That's all she wrote.

11. matveimediaarts

ended the day with batta ho patterns and happo giri. Yay, swordyness!

12. matveimediaarts

So far-1.5 hours ballet. Pique turns, Grand battement, a lot of other exercises. One of them (IDR the name) made my calves cry for mercy. It involved a lot of standing high on one foot in arabesque. :O Weird, as I can leg press a lot more than my body weight. Must be the unusual angle.

Julia showed up today. :) It was such a cute scene after class. y'all would've gone "awwwww"-especially the Sloth. I said "see you next week", and then took her hand and kissed it. She says "see you next week". "It's a date," sayeth I. :) ~warm and fuzzy~

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Leg presses don't hit the calves.

At the end of a leg press session I suggest putting your toes on the bottom edge of the leg press machine, keep your legs straight and press forward and backwards with the ball of the feet to work the calves.

14. matveimediaarts

Yes, this is what I meant to say. Beg your pardon. :eek: I call it "calf raises", only done on the press. I consider it a variation of calf raises (which are done on a step of some sort, with or without weights), though I'm sure someone will come in and tell me how terribly wrong I am. :D

Another good thing to do (which I should be doing more often!) is to hold the press at a right angle, make an ankle press (much like releve) and hold it. Perhaps I'll try su-su on the press too. :D You have given me good ideas, Simon. Thanks! :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  15. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQj7q5Z8_mM"]studio audience awwww sound FX - YouTube[/ame]

You flirt, you :p

16. matveimediaarts

17. matveimediaarts

Batta ho 1-5 a few times, basic and advanced; happo giri. Day is done. :cool:

18. matveimediaarts

Ballet, 1.5 hour. Grand battement, pique, pirouettes, etc. Better cardio than most ballet classes I've been to so far. :) Lots of things that make my calves burn and ankles quake-y. Balance is in front of me, not behind! Hate it when I fall out of a turn or stance. :p

gym: stretch
    kettlebell fun
    legpress-still 500 lbs
    leg curl
    leg extension
    hip induction/adduction
    lots of pushups and pullups
    all the ab exercises and toys
    shrugs, DB and BB
    lots of bicep curls, DB and BB
    tricep stuff-press, kickbacks, skull crushers, etc
    flyes and forward raises
    deadlifts
    still squatting 180 lbs
    lat pulldown
    smth machine benchpress
    unloaded barbie for staff and sword exercises
    power clean and snatch
    played with the machines a bit
    cool down

Evening-batta ho patterns, sword swings, happo giri.
    The End.

19. matveimediaarts

today-iaito basics and kata...staff basics, a lot. Staff stuff drives me crazy, but it's coming along.
    That's all. Busy day tomorrow.

20. matveimediaarts

Ballet, 2 hours. Less emphasis on pirouettes, more on pique turns and tricky floor routines. Fondue technique is getting better. Knee was a bit sore in the AM, but got better by class time.

Shortened sesh in the gym. Saw a former coach who trains there now, which was kinda cool. :cool:

Stretch was not necessary because I did a lot earlier in ballet.
    leg press 500
    leg curl
    leg extension
    hip induction/adduction
    abs, with and without machines
    chest flyes
    forward raises
    shrugs, dumbell and barbie.
    biceps
    triceps
    deadlifts-2 arm and 1 arm, per Fish's suggestion
    squats
    lat pulldown
    bench press
    OHP
    bunch of machine exercises

In the PM, kobudo. Basics and sunakake no kon. Basic no 15 especially drives me cRaZy, so we worked on that a lot.