Slothosaurus Training Log!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by LemonSloth, Aug 28, 2013.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Some evil concoction with spinach, flax seed, hemp seed, banana, walnuts and coconut milk with whatever else I had lying around tossed in for good measure. I think a carrot and an apple found their way in there as well. It's all baby steps as I tend to be a bit healthy phobic if I'm not careful.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Good show. :)

Did you get the small, hardback recipe book too?

3. LemonSloth

Nah. A mate found out about them recently and was adamant I had to try one so brought over his kit (the damn thing looks like a giant suppository lol) for me to try.

Gotta say I'm impressed. Bit of a faff to get ready but overall, very cool. Definitely worth trying again.

4. LemonSloth

02/09/14:

...Midway through the orgy, Ron winked at Harry. "This is better than Quidditch!" his Sloth seemed to say... - Russell Sloth.

Kigu Undo:
    Barbell pressing sexiness:
    w/ 45kg @ 3 x 10
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 55kg @ 1 x 8

Pendlay Rows:
    w/ 45kg @ 3 x 10
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 55kg @ 1 x 8

Press ups (strict & wide) @ 8 & 8
    Ab wheel rollouts @ 1 x 8
    Plank @ 55secs

Slow progression is slow but given how much stronger I've gotten in a short time while starting to change shape, I can't complain.

Bicycle ride:
    1 mile.

I think it was faster, I tried to time myself but forgot to start the timer :D :eek: :cry:. Bit more confident though which is good. My general cycling conditioning has gone down the crapper though but I'm sure I'll get it back. Rear brakes died on me tonight which was scary, but my good lady ordered a power bike for me to use today for longer trips. Hopefully it'll give me more independence...even if it is a 34 mile round trip to go kickboxing and about 26 for Aikido...

...But thinking about it, I heard a rumour there is a damn fine boxing club about 11 miles away and possibly a Judo club a touch further away...

:thinking:

Aikido stuff:
    10 minutes drilling footwork from the kihon dosa. Left this off for a few weeks after I kept getting kicked across the knee but it's feeling better.

That's it. Kept it light and short as the wife has had a horribly hectic day (bless her) and could do with the company.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  5. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Intruiging. Hopefully something will come of this.

6. LemonSloth

The boxing club definitely exists, bumped into someone recently that trains with them. Has a decent competitive record and actually offered to take me in if I was ever interested. Wouldn't mind but I have no idea who he is and haven't seen him since! :eek:

No news about any judo clubs though which is the one I was really excited about. I shall keep looking.

7. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Best of luck in finding a judo club, Slothski. That's the fun-est martial art I know of. :D :hat:

8. LemonSloth

So...the past few days have been pretty horrible on me physically. Had a lot of family stuff going on which was taken up a lot of my attention and coupled with feeling obscenely fatigued and getting much less sleep than usual, my training over the last few days has been a bit crap. Going to take the next couple of days easy and then try and get back to training properly again.

=====

There are some muscles I don’t think I need my Sloth trainer to find as I won’t be using them at my age anyway - Sloth Bishop.

Kickboxing stuff:
    Short, sharp bursts of shadow sparring throughout the night. Basically any time there was a loading screen on a game or an advert break, I was sparring. Not sure how long was in total but it was over a period of about four hours.

That's it. Felt horribly unwell and weak so trying to do what little I can where I can.

=====

Seriously, going to prison for sex is like going to Starbucks for coffee. You're gonna get it, but it's gonna be Sloth. - Adam Sloth.

Weighted walk:
    +30kg 1 mile, +45kg 1 mile.

That's it. Usually when I finish a weighted walk I feel great. Sweaty and in need of a change of clothes, but great. Got back on the usual trip and nearly keeled over. Was so weak for the rest of the day I climbed a flight of 9 stairs four hours later and was struggling to breathe. Bad enough I missed kickboxing tonight which was a kick in the teeth as I'm probably going to end up missing kickboxing next week.

=====

*Speaking to an audience Sloth* So, what do you do for a living?

'Painting and decorating'

Oh, nice of you to turn up.
    - Sloth Mack.

Aikido:
    1.5 hours.

Wasn't sure I was going to make it but I was determined to be there as I promised sensei I would be. A lot of fun tonight. Still making silly mistakes I shouldn't be making but it was also the first night in a long time where the training actually made complete sense. Hurt like hell at the end but it was well worth it.

Also it turns out there's a seminar that might actually be over a week after the kickboxing competition after all so I might be able to go to both :D.

So goes the theory. Either way, the club is holding a seminar/grading next week I should be able to go to. Not grading this time round but the extra three hours of training should be good whatever happens.

9. LemonSloth

Thanks buddy :). The bit I did at the MAP meet really grabbed my interest and I'd love to explore it further.

10. matveimediaarts

How many techniques did you learn? I only learned a few before I quit the club. Sweeps and other basics, some randori.

11. matveimediaarts

Sounds mighty unpleasant. :bang: Rest up and get sloth soon. I'll raise a toast to your sloth this evening. :hat:

12. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I find it amazing how elusive MA clubs can be to find. Best of luck in your quest!

Given all of the things we've learned that "sloth" can mean, I find that mildly disturbing. :wow:

13. matveimediaarts

If it helps, just imagine the least disturbing of the various meanings you can. :hat: Confuscious say-man or sloth with dirty mind often soil himself.

14. LemonSloth

06/09/14 & 07/09/14:

I said "Anyone Jewish here?" and someone goes "I'm Jewish!" and I said ... "And what year is this now in the Jewish calendar?" And she goes, "Er, I wasn't expecting questions, to be honest ..."—and then turned to her presumably gentile friend and had a bit of a natter—and then came back with the single finest Sloth I have ever heard from a member of an audience, where, without any shame at all, she just went, "Yeah, it's the Jewish Year of the Rat. - Sloth O'Briain.

Moar rest needed.

=====

08/09/14:

Suddenly, cute Sloth invasion!

[​IMG]

Kigu Undo:
    OHP:
    w/ 45kg @ 3 x 10
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 55kg @ 1 x 10

Pendlay Rows:
    w/ 45kg @ 3 x 10
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 55kg @ 1 x 10

Press ups (strict knuckle & wide) @ 9 x 9
    Ab wheel reps @ 1 x 9
    Plank @ 1min.

Resistance band stretches:
    40 minutes of band work w/ 32lbs of resistance. Mountain climbers, leg raises, upper body twists, shoulder dislocations, etc.

Gentle stretches.

My strength is starting to return, huzzah!

=====

09/09/14:

Admit it, you d'awwed at this one:

[​IMG]

Weighted walk:
    1.5 miles, +30kg.

My bag came undone part way round and the plates fell out :(. Thinking it might be time to trade up my weighted jacket and replace my 10kg with a 20kg again so I can start doing 40kg walks more consistently.

Makiwara:
    11 minutes.

Need to ease myself back into doing it consistently again. It's actually easier to use than it used to be :dunno:. Also surprisingly easy to work up a sweat using it.

Kickboxing stuff:
    10 minutes drilling evasion and footwork w/ 32lbs of resistance bands. Including kicks and checking movements as well.

Gentle stretches.

That's it. Slow and steady. Looking forward to feeling well enough to use my rope again.

15. matveimediaarts

Hope you're stretching enough to at least be able to touch your slothy toes. Don't pull a sloth muscle if you can't do it yet. If you put the soles of your feet together and bend down as far as possible (ideally touching your ankles with your forehead), you'll warm up your slothy hips and get slothier stretches. :cool:

16. LemonSloth

A-yup :). Slowly working on my side splits too. 'Cos being as heavy as I am and being able to do a full side splits would be a hell of a party trick :p

That's either a sensible comment of the most hilariously inappropriate and offensive post on this log :D :p :Angel:

17. LemonSloth

010/09/14:

Don'cha wish your girlfriend was sloth like this?:

[​IMG]

Enforced rest day. Had a chronic pain flare up that hit me like a truck. Hit me worst in my hands and feet but the rest of my joints, back, pelvis and legs were pretty damn painful as well (enough that it made me feel a bit sick). So I decided it wasn't worth pushing it.

=====

11/09/14:

Sloth be sleepin':

[​IMG]

Kickboxing stuff:
    20 minutes continuous technique work.

Hurt my knee about seven minutes in with an over pivot on a mawashi geri which wasn't great but I managed to finish it.

Gentle stretches.

Thats's it. After yesterdays' flare up I wasn't willing to push it too much. Though I did walk round for a few hours carrying my youngest in my arms (he's 15kg) across a beach, not sure if that counts as training :p.

18. matveimediaarts

If I manage to be sensible and hilariously inappropriate at once, it's a job well done from my perspective. :) :D:cool:

ETA: Got yoga blocks? My ballet teacher has me use them to practice forward and side splits. It's helped me quite a bit.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  19. LemonSloth

Nope, not at all.

====

12/09/14:

Sloth in a onesie!

[​IMG]

Kigu Undo:
    Rope work:
    1 round of Tabata sprinting, only doing alternating undulations.

Good to get the heart rate up.

Hindu squats @ 1 x 50

Tried these as a warm down. Man...my knee started to complain around 45 so I stopped at 50. Shocked how quickly they fatigue your legs and get you puffing. Gotta do these more.

Kickboxing stuff:
    6 x 2 minutes bob & weave into shadow sparring, 1 minute rest between rounds (so 3 rounds of bob & weave and 3 rounds of shadow sparring in all).

Should've left it longer after eating, thought I might lose my dinner. Felt like other than that, I wanted to try another round of each. Might do next time.

Makiwara:
    11 minutes continuous striking including forearms and elbows. 6 minutes without gloves or anything, 5 minutes with 7oz gloves working combinations.

Still miss my heavy bag and the makiwara isn't quite the same but hey, gotta take advantage of what I have. My punches feel a bit sluggish lately but my kicks seem to be a touch faster. Go figure.

Gentle stretches.

20. LemonSloth

13/09/14 & 14/09/14:

It's a bucket of Sloths!:

[​IMG]

Sloth be charming:

[​IMG]

Rest days. Well, Sunday I spent half an hour doing basic yoga stuff as I was just utterly worn out still.

==========

We're the Wright Brothers and there can be no other!
    We don't wanna cause trouble, are you looking for your lover?
    'Cos your Sloth is in our castle now! Yeah, she's gone.
    We stayed up all night, playing Donkey Kong.

The Wright Brothers vs the Mario Brothers, Epic Sloth Battles of History.

Kickboxing stuff:
    20 minutes continuous technique work.

Hooked my heavy bag up against the hook used for my makiwara so it stayed standing and used that to gauge impact and distance.

Resistance band work:
    10 minutes continuous technique work.

Work on mah speed.

Walking shenanigans:
    +5kg f/ 3 miles, + 25kg f/ 1 mile.

Until my new weighted jacket turns up and I get my bag fixed, heavier weighted walks are off the cards.

Gym time:
    OHP:
    w/ bar @ 1 x 10
    w/ 30kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 45kg @ 2 x 10
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 55kg @ 1 x 10*
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 4
    w/ 65kg @ 1 x 1

* The last rep was a push :cry:. Working on mah volume.

Push Press:
    w/ 70kg @ 1 x 1
    w/ 80kg @ 8 x 1

Didn't feel up to trying 85kg so I just did more singletons. Around the 7th & 8th attempts the bar started to get stuck 2/3rds of the way up and required a fair bit of grunting to get it to go up so I left it there.

Back squats!:
    w/ bar @ 1 x 10*
    w/ 40kg @ 1 x 5*
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 5*
    w/ 80kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 90kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 100kg @ 5 x 5

* Started from ATG position as part of the warm up. Damn...makes it a hell of a lot harder. But strangely the difficulty felt more mental than physical.

I could count the number of times I've squatted in the gym on one hand over the last 5 months due to constant niggling injuries and general lack of enthusiasm. My squats are still obviously crappy for obvious reasons but I'm just glad my back and knees are finally strong enough that these didn't hurt.

EDIT: Life troll moment - I managed to add 30kg on my 5 x 5 reps compared to last time.

Doesn't squat. Squatting improves.

:D

Chin up/Pull up:
    1 @ 1 x 4

Get there my Sloth!

I have never been able to do chin ups or pull ups before, it's always bugged me that I couldn't do them even though I could do ring dips and the like. It's only a couple but I can finally lift all 112kg of me off the ground without resistance bands or a little cheating. WOOOOP!

Ab wheel:
    1 x 10

Part of the progression stuff I've been doing. The ab wheel was there and so was a sticky yoga mat making it harder to roll.

Bench Press:
    w/ 60kg @ 3 x 5

Not done these before and wasn't going to do them except my curiosity got me just as I was about to leave. Think I might do them more often.

Quick bit of derping around with dumbbell curls (20kg) and lat pull downs with the rope (didn't pay attention to the weight) and went home.

The kids are back at school at last so I'm probably going to look to go to the gym a consistant 1/2 times a week at least now.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014