Learning guitar? Good acoustic?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by u6s68, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Seagull is nice, I have a Cordoba classical that I really like, Yamaha still makes a good guitar as well as the PRS Korean models (which are still not cheap). A guitar is one of those things that you have to try a lot of them out... the right one will speak to you though.

2. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I vote Seagull, gorgeous guitars, haven't played a bad one.

Baza

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Would ya believe...I had a Yamaha (yeah, they made electrics at one time) SG copy in 1975 - one of my first guitars. Long, long gone :cry: :cry:

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yamaha still make electrics.

I've been told by luthiers that the wood used for them is pretty good, it's the electrics they skimp on, so you can get a nice Strat copy by getting a 2nd hand Pacifica and replacing the guts.

5. Rhythmkiller

Yip i have a Yamaha Pacifia 112 that sits proudly next to Fender 69 reissue.

Also if you are buying second hand and want to make sure the product is genuine check the serial number on this website before you buy. Type the serial and presto the guitars history appears as if by magic.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/

Baza

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  6. belltoller

Yup, you're correct. I've never really thought of Yamaha as an 'Electric Guitar', though. But you are right, they make a few different series.

7. belltoller

Love Telecasters!

8. Rhythmkiller

Me too my first was a Squire Affinity, loved that guitar. The only Squire i've played that i liked. One of those when you walk in the shop for a plectrum and walk out with a guitar lol - when i played it i couldn't walk out without it. Forgot to get plactrums lol

Baza

9. belltoller

Good excuse to work on your finger-pick technique

But I thought the Affinity to be a 'Strat' style of guitar.

Anyroads...wish I could say I've ever owned an OG ( Gibson, Fender, et al ) Copies themselves have gotten outrageous these days.

10. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

rambling about Squiers follows...

I think Squiers are pretty good these days. It's funny to read the reviews where someone says they have been playing 40 years and has 50 guitars and talks about how they love something like the Squier classic vibe telecaster, and it is better than this or that expensive guitar they have. There are a lot of reviews out there like that.

I have a Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass Special, and a Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI - both made in Indonesia. Are they equal to $1000+ instruments? Not in my opinion. But they are equal to a lot of stuff that costs twice what they do, IMHO. I like a lot of things about them.

I think I probably will end up with a Squier tele or strat pretty soon too. Probably one of the Classic vibe ones. I have some pretty nice guitars, but that doesn't eliminate my desire to buy one of these Squiers!

A few months ago, I ended up joining a band, with a couple of people from Muay Thai class. So I am playing more guitar than I have been in a pretty good while. So of course I need more guitars...

Back in the '80's - Fender was making these Squiers in Japan - and I think it was a similar situation where they were a lot of bang for the buck. People still talk about those guitars, and I think they are actually pretty collectable. They seem to go fast from local used gear shops.

IMHO a new player could do a lot worse than one of these classic vibe or vintage modified Squiers, if a '50's or '60's style Fender guitar is something you want.

11. Rhythmkiller

I'd love a JV Fender Strat. They cost a fortune though, never even held one. My dad has a Tokai Les Paul though and it's gorgeous, honey burst. Absolutely beautiful.

Those classic vibe Squires, the 50's (big headstock?)models get brilliant reviews. Always wanted to grab one but never have. There's still time though. Sadly since my oldest was born 7 years ago i have gone from 15 guitars to the 5 i can't do without. The wife won't let me get anymore and made me sell or give away all my others, They had there own room but once my little girl was born they had to go :(

Baza

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I grew up on 80s shred guitars. My first proper electric was a Charvel, and I honestly think I would never have bought another one if it wasn't stolen :(

I've never really got off on playing strats, and I can't get on with the dinky scale length of Les Pauls.

I do love me a Tele though. Reckon if I ever have the cash for a nice guitar I'll get one. Probably with a custom flat oval neck...

13. Rhythmkiller

I love Ibanez guitars but just can't deal with tuning that Gibraltor bridge/Floyd Rose. Shredding isn't really my thing to be honest. I did pick up and Ibanez ART 300 though, the brown caiman one. Love it and has the stop tailpiece.

My first guitar was a Les Paul copy of a goldtop. I couldn't afford the original or even the Epiphone one at the time when i was going through college so got it from gear for music website. loved that guitar and lost it in a bet.

Baza

14. Saved_in_Blood

I'll tell you an interesting story. I have worked at PRS guitars (they are about 30 miles from me) and while the job was not for me, you can trust when they say quality control that they MEAN quality control... one little screw up and they cut it up in a band saw and it goes in the dumpster... finished or not.

Anyway, on to the story. My Uncle's niece (not my Uncle by blood) works at the bank right around the corner from PRS. One of the guys comes in to get his check cashed and while there they get to talking and she says "my dad has an old guitar, and I think he wants to sell it but doesn't know what it's worth", so he says "well bring it here and i'll take it over to work and check it over".

It turned out to be an original 59 Gibson Les Paul! It just sat under his bed and not even been played. He kept it for a little while, but the value made his insurance so high he wanted to get rid of it. IIRC it went for 150,000.00.

Never know what you might have under your bed ;)

15. Rhythmkiller

I'd kill for the original of that guitar. Where does your uncle stay?????/ ;)

Baza

16. Saved_in_Blood

I have an Ibanez Joe Satriani chrome boy. I never play it of course because it's going to go up in value since only just over 500 were made worldwide. I had a Prestige S body though and I really did like it. The lack of thickness made it's presence known though... it just didn't that quite a thick enough tone. Now I just have a Fender hot rod deluxe strat and of course a Les Paul... super heavy guitar. My friend at PRS set it up for me and everyone who held it said it was one of, if not the heaviest les paul they had ever held, but man is the tone on that thing just awesome!

17. Saved_in_Blood

He was about 20 min from me... but I don't know where they live now. His Wife had passed away years ago and I think he moved somewhere else. At least he did get some cash for it, but it would have been hard for me to sell it.

18. Rhythmkiller

God recorded that tone from an Angel crying.

Baza

19. Saved_in_Blood

I have heard many times from many people that the Epiphones are actually a better quality guitar.

20. Rhythmkiller

Like buying any guitar you have to find the one that's right for you. I don't own a gibson, my dad has one though and his balck beauty blows mine out of the water. The Korean made Epi's are rediculously good. The Chinese ones like the one i have are not so good, you have to make them good really.

Baza