Fish's log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Nirvana potato...interesting...Now you need a Kurt Cobain and Nirvana potato-full of angst and rage, with tinges of sublime and mellow.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

a whole bag of potatoes:

back squat:
    20kg 1x5
    30kg 1x5
    40kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    60kg 5/10/15/20/25/20/15/10/5
    no class with pedro tonight (will see if i can do one tomorrow morning), so went in late and did some light squats.

chin-up:
    17/5/5/5/5/5
    egged on by one of the locals. wasn't sure i'd even make it to 15 :p

3. Fish Of Doom

@matvei: 1kg = 2.2 lbs, so 100kg = 220lbs

also the kurt cobain potato would probably end up with me killing myself by dropping a loaded barbell on my head.

4. matveimediaarts

May I ask the reason you start at low weights and progressively add more? When I do this sort of thing, I start at a heavy weight (sometimes max, sometimes not) and progress downwards. Thanks! Nice work, btw. :)

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Woah! 17 chins! Cool!

Matvei - if Fishy does it for the same reason add I do, starting light and adding more counts as a great warm up, you get to use the muscles you'll be using for the heavier sets, practice the movement, and switch your nervous system 'on' in the right way...

So do you just walk in to the gym and deadlift your max from cold then pyramid down?

6. Fish Of Doom

regular potato:

1h weightlifting
    training with pedro again. only thing worth mentioning is 55kg hang snatch from the hip (and several close fails with 60), and a whole bunch of volume on the clean (think it was something like 75kg 3x3, 80kg 2x2)

7. Fish Of Doom

another pic from dima's seminar (spoilered because of resolution):

10479890_1529221597293118_1270912588545363457_o.jpg
    i get a little veiny sometimes :p

8. matveimediaarts

I have a warmup routine that includes barre stretching work and a bunch of other stuff. Thanks for the reply. I'll try it your way next week. :) It sounds like a good idea.

9. Fish Of Doom

improvement potato:

1h weightlifting:
    MOAR weightlifting with pedro. hip's A-ok so my snatch bottom position seems to be less homicide inducing to him (today he say my snatch would be a struggle instead of outright calling it poo-poo :D). he also seems to like sets of 4, which is bizarre. did ramping sets of 4 on the clean, and 3/3/4 with 80kg where the 3s were failed sets of 4 that he had me repeat. last thing he had me do was 4x4 on back squat with 90kg, which was a breeze.

BTN ohp:
    40kg 10/10/5/5/5/5/5
    awwww yisss. overhead volume up to 11 in da house. need more endurance.

BTN push press:
    50kg 3x10
    where possible, trying to use as little leg drive as possible.

two-arm kb swing:
    32kg 3x20
    this is where i got bored and did random stuff, wanting to save the grindy slow lifts for another day (also i officially declare fridays my high-volume squat days. will try to repeat the thingy with 65). calluses were bothering me and i get bored with too many sets so switched to chins.

chin-up:
    10/10/5/5
    just for shiggles. afterwards did some noob-ish (but fun) bar and parallette isometric stuff (parallette elbow levers are fun) and went home.

10. Fish Of Doom

potatus rex:

snatch:
    40kg 3/4
    45kg 4/3
    50kg 2x3
    55kg 3x2
    60kg 1x1
    warmed up with snatch balances and hang snatches from 40 to 50, then did snatches from the floor. i THINK my snatches are getting better. was too fatigued to do much with 60 though (did a second and third attempt and lost both rather badly).

power clean + 2x ohp
    40kg 1x3 (6 presses)
    50kg 1x3 (6 presses)
    60kg 11x1 (22 presses)
    10 minutes for the 60s.

deadlift:
    60kg 1x5
    80kg 1x5
    100kg 1x5
    120kg 5/5/5/5/3/3/3/3/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1
    the 120 was: 5 minutes of sets of 5, 5-6 minutes rest, 5 minutes of sets of 3, 5 minutes rest, untimed 10x1. first two 5s double over + chalk, rest of the 5s and all the 3s mixed grip, and straps for all the singles, as several calluses were threatening to tear. afterwards i asked the box's head coach for a pair of scissors to cut them off while they were freshly raised and stiff from the chalk, and then i taped them over so i could row.

one-arm row:
    30kg 1x5
    32kg (2x16) 1x5
    36kg (20+16) 1x5
    52kg (32+20) 1x5
    40kg (2x20) 2x10
    30 was DB, the rest was done with two KBs (tip them so the handles touch, pass hand through one, grab the other). didn't cheat as much as i thought i'd do on the back-off sets, but the 52 had so much body english that my nipples had a tea break. also i just realized i could have just used the 32kg kb for the second set :p

11. Fish Of Doom

vaginoplasty potato:

1h weightlifting:
    weightlifting with pedro. my snatch IS improving! huzzah! (inb4 i completely fail to reproduce this on following sessions). also 65kg 2x2 overhead squat.

plank:
    +20kg 1min
    +40kg 1min
    +60kg 1min
    PR!

one-arm KB row:
    32kg 1x5
    48kg 1x5
    32kg 3x5
    32, 32+16, 32. my abs were borked from the planks, so not a whole lot of oomph here.

one-arm DL:
    80kg 1/3
    100kg 1x2
    in between a lot of screwing around, bantering, helping another regular with his clean and jerk before he gave the grace WOD a try (did it while fatigued in 5:08.5), and doing random crap with parallettes, clubbells, the parallel handles on the GHD, etc. first rep chalked with hook, the rest all with straps. we also have a BJJ guy come in on mon, wed, fri with classes starting at 21:00 (hour and a half after pedro leaves, so plenty of time for extra lifts and then rest), so i'll see about tagging along as it's been a while since i did any grappling.

12. Fish Of Doom

rushed potato:

derping around with PCNJ:
    ~30min
    thursdays are going to be a pain time-wise, as at best (ie if public transportation doesn't screw me over) i have an hour or so to train before it closes (and there's no way in hell i'm getting up early and going before going to uni). was kinda sorta maybe thinking about trying my hand at a properly done grace, so basically started doing 1 plate power clean and jerks to test the waters, but i was a tad weak today so that didn't go much beyond random bursts of 3-6 reps for about half an hour, then some quick OHPs before they closed.

ohp:
    5x10
    not sure if i've done 5x10 before. endurance work is annoying (except on squats. hell yeah high-rep squats)

13. Fish Of Doom

shrimping potato:

1h weightlifting:
    liftan! highlights: i can now jerk 90kg btn with no problem, and am very near 100 (missed 3 attempts due to insufficient hate). also finally cleaned 85. putting 100 overhead is going to be SO satisfying... then begins the very long road to doing it with a strict press :p

chin-up;
    4x10
    done while waiting for my digestive system to deal with some epic timing fails i did with returning from uni and putting food in mah belleh. plenty of rest between sets, but almost no slowdown until the very last few reps.

BTN ohp:
    20kg 1x5
    25kg 1x5
    30kg 1x5
    35kg 1x5
    40kg 1x5
    45kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    shoulders were a bit pooped from the oly lifting apparently, as 50 was more grindy than usual, but all in all not bad.

BTN push press:
    55kg 1x2
    60kg 1x2
    65kg 1x2
    70kg 1x2
    75kg 1x2
    failed 80 a couple of times and went on to BTN jerks

BTN split jerk:
    70kg 1x2
    80kg 1x2
    85kg 1x2
    90kg 1x2
    behind the neck. really starting to get a feel for pedro's jerk technique, i think.

1h BJJ:
    the box has brought in a bjj guy, so figured i might as well try my hand at grappling again. did some shrimping, some locks, one escape, and continued my excellent track record of failing miserably to close guard because i'm so short my legs can't reach each other around a normal-sized human being :p

14. Fish Of Doom

potaturday:

back squat:
    20kg 1x5
    25kg 1x5
    30kg 1x5
    35kg 1x5
    40kg 1x5
    45kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    55kg 1x5
    60kg 1x5
    65kg 5/10/15/20/25/20/15/10/5
    spent a farily long while training and bantering with two of the local CF coaches. found out that one of them is doing the entry course to study the same thing i study, at the same uni. this keeps getting better and better :p. also, this was atrociously hard, but i feel up for 70 next week.

parallel bar dip:
    2x20
    and then my arms fell off.

15. matveimediaarts

Hope you manage to get those arms super-glued back on, amigo. :hat:

16. Fish Of Doom

experimental potato:

1h weightlifting:
    weightlifting with pedro. we held a mock snatch-only competition between another trainee and me, and i got a PR :D (65kg after having missed 60). imma log it just for the lulz.

plank:
    +20kg 0:30
    +40kg 0:30
    +60kg 0:30
    post weightlifting ab work

ohp:
    20kg 1x5
    25kg 1x5
    30kg 1x5
    35kg 1x5
    40kg 1x5
    45kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    55kg 1x5
    60kg 4/3/1/3
    50kg 4x5
    40kg 3x10
    after weightlifting it was bantering time, while we tried to help one of the regulars with his handstand pushup, and succeeded in confusing him further because i have the opposite approach to the other guy who was trying to help him (since i always press with internal rotation and shrug, and he's a KB guy and is used to packing the shoulder) :p. meanwhile, i did some pressing (thumbless grip too, for a change). 60, 50, 40 was 5 minutes each with plenty rest in between.

one-arm row:
    32kg 1x5
    40kg 1x5
    turns out nahuel (the bjj guy) wasn't coming in today, so i went to do some rows, and then one of the other guys who teaches stuff invited me over to try out the stuff he teaches, which i did (this, specifically: http://www.rmaxi.com/tacfit/about.php)

20min tacfit:
    tacfit is interesting. i find the heart rate monitoring and logging to be quite a neat aspect to it. basically did 20 EMOM rounds of a ring knee pushup variant, a twisty thing on the ground, and KB squat, 5x of each (per side on the latter two). heart rate went somewhere around 175, which is absurdly high :p (then again my cardio is nonexistent and half the reason i have survived to the ripe old age of 23 is because martial arts taught me how to breathe properly :p)

17. Fish Of Doom

late potato:

snatch:
    30kg 5x1
    40kg 5x1
    50kg 5x1
    60kg 2x1
    went in late, did a bunch of hip loosening stuff and foam rolling (my quads are absolutely dead from all those tacfit squats :p), then snatches. failed a lot of 60s down in the hole, which was annoying, but i've had almost nothing nutritious the whole day (by which i mean i'd only had a lot of cookies and a big coffee), so beggars can't be choosers :p

deadlift:
    60kg 1x5
    80kg 1x5
    100kg 1x5
    110kg 1x4
    120kg 1x3
    130kg 1x2
    140kg 1x1
    150kg 1x1
    140kg 1x5
    chalk on 120 i think, mixed on the second 130, straps on the back-off set. tried 160 but just barely got it off the ground. not bad for a cookies and coffee day, i'd say :p

18. Fish Of Doom

even later potater:

0.5h weightlifting:
    got delayed on my way to pedro's class. did cleans and front squats.

front squat:
    20kg 1x3
    40kg 1x3
    60kg 1x3
    80kg 1x3
    90kg 1x2
    95kg 1x1
    80kg 3/3/2
    instructions were to go as heavy as i could. managed 95, got stuck with 100, then did some half-assed back-offs by myself.

btn ohp:
    40kg 1x5
    45kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    prolly still kinda derpy from yesterday's deadlifts, no not much oomph. 50 went up though.

btn pp:
    60kg 1x2
    65kg 1x2
    70kg 1x2
    75, on the other hand, didn't :p also, no BJJ because for some reason they're gonna change the BJJ guy. we'll see...

19. matveimediaarts

Tell me about this 1 arm deadlift you spoke of a while back. Is this a dumbell or fancy barbell exercise? Sounds like something I'd like to try. :)

20. Fish Of Doom

it's a deadlift. with one arm :p

grip like a mofo to keep it stable, and if necessary grab slightly towards the inside (ie towards the other arm) rather than dead center, so that'll side will tilt up and you can keep it in place with the other hand (like so)