What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Alan Dean Foster also wrote what was initially supposed to be the sequel to A New Hope, Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I even have that book here, but only in German so far and I prefer the books in English.

I should give it a try anyway.
    In case I manage to concentrate for longer than 2 pages a session, I might be done.... so time in three years...

EDIT: Or did I read it already?
    I#d need to check, to be honest.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  3. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

A few. "Le Suicide Français" by Eric Zemmour, "À la recherche du temps perdu" by Proust and "the Big Short" by Michael Lewis. I had started "Vers La Feminisation" by Alain Soral but the guy is an atrocious writer. Totally unreadable.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What did you expect? French isn't a proper language. :D

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I just finished the third of the Ryria Chronicles. It was a good story but a little short.

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

That's next on my reading list! Glad to hear it's good.

Do you think the Chronicles had a much darker tone than the revelations? I enjoyed the series much more than Revelations because of that.

7. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Binging on Bernard Cornwell's Saxon stories, currently on book 5. Fun stuff.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The Iliad by Homer. Translated by Robert Fagles. So far so good.

9. Ben Gash CLF

I don't know, there's some pretty dark stuff in the Revelations, I think it's just a bit more diluted by the stories being bigger.

10. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff. I've read 180 pages of it in two days, which is much faster than my usual reading pace. I guess I must be enjoying it.

11. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

After much insistence from a friend I've started on Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes. He was right I should have read this long ago!

12. philosoraptor

Anyone else finding themselves rereading the Origins of Totalitarianism?

13. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Gut by Giulie Enders I am listening to it on audible. I'm only on the first chapter book so far it's very informative. Been on a health things this past month or so and I'm looking into gut health. Seems there's definitely a connection between a healthy gut and a healthy brain.

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Wow, I'm feeling silly. I'm reading Percy Jackson for the second time. :jester:

15. philosoraptor

I picked up Dhalgren for funsie reading. :3

16. AndrewTheAndroid

Currently listening to change your brain change your life it's a very informative book and I like it a lot. It's helping me come up with strategies to deal with depression through behavioural changes and nutrition and exercise.

17. AndrewTheAndroid

Should be done my book tonight. Next one up is Buddha Brain

18. philosoraptor

Just finished Peter Pomerantsev's "Nothing is True, Everything is Possible." Really fun book, really strange society, and world that he reveals. The guy worked as a media and television producer in Russia who talks about the interactions between the oligarchs, the Kremlin, and the media.

Next up is Rorty's "Achieving our Country," thus far really fun and not too dry reading for a philosopher; I squeed a bit when he mentioned Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" and Pynchon's "Vineland" as fictional projections of our current culture.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

"Nothing Changes Until You Do" by Mike Robbins. Great little book on cutting yourself some slack and accepting things as they happen without worrying so much.

20. Ben Gash CLF

Having another stab at Elric of Melinbone. I found Corum and Hawkmoon accessible despite their weirder aspects, but for some reason I can never get into Elric.