What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Watched the first episode of WestWorld last night, pretty good.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

My father recommended that show (West World) to me a day or two ago. I'm going to have to give it a try now.

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

It's good, but not as good as the film.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Can't it be both?

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XFF2ECZ8m1A[/ame]

Ive just started watching cosmos, its easily the best thing ive watched this year

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Homeland season 5. It's set in Berlin, where I commute to frequently for work reasons. I love the show, even more so when I see my favourite eateries in my favourite city. :)

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Just binged watched 4 eps of West World.

Didn't know the amount of talent that is in this film. Ed Harris, as this cold calculating unstoppable villain is great.
    A bit slow, but you can see where they are trying to go.

9. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Finally got Netflix and started watching Daredevil. Great film quality and cinematography. Pretty good fight choreography when you get one kind of slow though. It's long on drama and short on action and the fights can be too gymnastical/parkourish for me. Give me the early years of Arrow any day.

10. Mushroom

Series 2 gets...violenty :D

11. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I'm currently bingeing on 'Once Upon a Time' after several false starts over the years and it's actually pretty good. It'll be of interest to those familiar with the Disney versions of classic fairytales and also to fans of DC Vertigo's 'Fables' series, though a lot more adult than the former, and a lot less adult than the latter.

I'm also avidly watching 'Designated Survivor' starring Kiefer Sutherland who finds himself sworn in as POTUS after a major terrorist attack destroys pretty much the whole government. This isn't a spoiler, it the entire premise of the series. It is GRIPPING!!!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  12. aikiMac

I watched a lot of the first two seasons (not every episode) and enjoyed it. After some time, though, it got too "soap opera," but I think that happens to all shows eventually.

13. aikiMac

Fair point, but there's this one scene (I can't remember sequentially when it happens) where DD is wounded, just totally beat up to begin with, but he is absolutely going to rescue a kid no matter what -- that Batman mentality of never ever quitting, ever. So he breaks into the bad guys' hide out and beats them all up one room at a time. Parkour gymnastics, yes, completely, but gosh it was good all the same! :happy:

14. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I'm onto Season three now and I'm really enjoying it. I like how they've not just kept to traditional fairy tales but have involved literary classics such as 'Peter Pan' and 'Frankenstein', and also stories from myths and legends like 'Robin Hood' and 'Camelot'.

15. Mushroom

Like a pseudo homage to Old Boy corridor scene

16. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I recently binge watched this Brazilian show on Netflix called 3% (there are only 8 episodes). Watched part of it in Portuguese with English subtitles, and part overdubbed into English.

It is set in this distopian future, where there is an "offshore" where the special privileged few live the good life - and everyone else is "onshore" living in crime ridden slums. When someone turns 20, they get a chance to test to go to live offshore. Only 3% of the people that try pass the tests.

I have read some blurbs where people call this "Brazilian Hunger Games", but to me is much more like that movie Cube. Not much violence really, but lots of mind games, and weird tricks with the "tests".

Anyways, I liked it. ;)

17. Bozza Bostik

'Cause the Hunger Games was a new idea, right?

[​IMG]

Edit: Huzzah! It's on Nordic Netflix...and has Eng. subs (sometimes doesn't).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Only for people in the UK I'm afraid, but Black and British: A forgotten History on the BBC was really very good. I honestly can't remember the last time I learnt so much from a documentary, every ten minutes I was saying "I never knew that!". Highly recommended.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b082x0h6/episodes/player

19. aikiMac

Been slowly working through "Luke Cage." Haven't had big blocks of time to binge-watch it, unfortunately. But anyway, in the beginning I really liked the slow pace. It's not a fight-filled action show like Daredevil and Arrow, and it's not a "monster of the week" show like Flash. It's a story -- a drawn out character development story. I really liked that.

But then ... then last night I watched either #10 or #11, I'm not sure. It was the shootout in Harlem Paradise when Misty gets shot. The villain, Stryker, told his story to politician Boone and the camera, and he's nothing more than a 1-dimensional Disney villain. He has no substance. :( I am so disappointed.

20. Bozza Bostik

Season 2 of Happy Valley.

British crime/police drama that is typically not very happy, it's set in West Yorkshire though and I think there's a valley.

Nothing toooooo original about the story, but great acting, script and all that. Gets 100% on Rotten Tomatoes from the critics. Really worth watching if you like Brit crime series.