become a fighting machine

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Moller18, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Moller18

Moller18 New Member

Hey Guys! first off sorry for the silly topic name, and sorry if posted in wrong section!

Im just got started to MMA ( focus on striking, wrestling and jiu jitsu ) i do mma twice a week, and then im in the gym 4 for strength and look, for 45 -60 minutes only. I have some questions for you. The ONLY reason why i do workout beside keeping myself healthy is self defense. I have been attacked twice by a group, and stabbed one of the times. Not because of my attitude, once because i stood up for my girlfriend and the other, because i was at the wrong place at the wrong place. So now i have decide i wanna be able to defend myself, IF talking or running, aint the option. So do you guys think that mma is a good thing, together with strength training. For this purpose?

The otherside i know a important thing, of getting stronger, bigger and faster, is the diet. I eat a lot of beef and veggies, and water. Dont eat to many carbs, only around working out, im mostly eating to get my proteins.

Viking

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yes.

3. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

MMA is awesome for street fighting

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Training hard and sincerely is good, especially when it keeps you off the streets because you don't have time to go out.

Also, if you do go out, having a dozens of your MMA brothers and sisters with you gives some strength in numbers.

None of this is about becoming a fighting machine... it is more about building good bonds with others. Self-protection is a community effort.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

MMA is as good as anything for learning to fight well. However more importantly it builds bonds of friendship, and confidence.

I've lived and travelled to rough areas all my life. Since I started training I've been in one altercation which I admittedly started.

If you are truly wanting to keep yourself safe I highly recommend reading up on the subject of "self defence". Geoff Thompson and Iain Abernathy should be good authors to get you started.

Also, just curious, is it the same group that has attacked you or different people?

6. Moller18

Moller18 New Member

It has been different people, i live in a bad area. My first thought was to learn Krav Maga, but there arent any gym around here. So next year im gonna find one, when i move to a new city. But another thing is i have been in contact with Lior Offenbach, krav maga expert and we talked about my situation, he told me to talk with my instructor, and tell him im not here for competition ( mma ) and that i wanna have focus on the striking aspects and jiu jitsu, and leave out the wrestling. So im gonna do that next week when i start. So i can do that until im gonna hit an Krav maga gym.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Defensive wrestling is more important than Jujuitsu in the context of fighting in the street.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

MMA > Krav for "fighting" despite what anyone else tries and spins

Don't focus on any one thing - just turn up and train and let the rest take care of itself - you don't know what you are doing so don't get to tell the instructor what you will and will not be focusing on, and doing so will not endear you

Just train, have fun and get fit

9. Moller18

Moller18 New Member

Okay guys i will remember that :)

10. BigMotor

BigMotor New Member

Yes, MMA is good for that situation, it pays to learn how to fight hard.
    Now, I have been attacked a few times myself, and so I carry a stick and a knife, as a normal part of living life.

Do not think to yourself --"He won't use them." I will, and I have, and it was bloody. I went to a jury trial over it, and was acquitted.
    Whatever school of thought that you choose, it is pointless to practice an art, and think that it will impress the thugs.
    Just be prepared in your mind, if you ever have to defend yourself.:) And if I sound blunt, I am, but I have my reasons.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I wouldn't do that straight off, learn the basics first, and then optimize them later.
    Most MMA gyms will have separate lessons in striking, wrestling and BJJ and then also combined MMA classes as well.

Exactly.

12. ned

ned Valued Member

Not good advice despite your claims. Carrying a knife is a sure fire way to escalate an incident , to end up possibly stabbed by your own weapon or taking someone's life unnecessarily .
    Quite apart from the obvious legal implications.
    At 61 you're no spring chicken (no offence,neither am I !)
    and should count yourself lucky .
    Of course it's your personal choice but not a high percentage option to recommend to others.

13. BigMotor

BigMotor New Member

What Is "Good Advice" Ned?

Those claims are accurate, and as recently as last summer, I had to rely on a stick, to make an emphatic statement to some thug 14 year old, pre-gang types.
    I am not here to engage in endless wrangling, and if you don't believe me, then that is your prerogative. But nooo..., a micro-lecture is needed from you.:bang:
    And, the legal implications are self-evident, don't you think?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  14. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

OP: how is your training going?

15. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

MMA training is a great idea. If you have a solid grounding in MMA, then when you learn some more SD-oriented stuff, you'll be able to apply it very well. I can't see how you could do better.

16. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

aikido for the win!

/s