Lower back discomfort when trying the front splits.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hawken, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Hawken

Hawken New Member

Hello! I am 20 years old and I have started going to Karate classes a few months ago. Unfortunately I have below average flexibility and so, my kicks are pretty bad. That is why I started doing a stretching routine (the one posted here by Redcoat Ninja). Everything is going okay, except the fact that when I am trying the front splits, I feel a sort of tension in my lower back, a tightness where the spine ends. I am pretty sure I could go even lower into the stretch if it weren't for this. Is this normal? If so, I am sorry for troubling you over nothing.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Your lower back may be tight, keep stretching, try some yoga etc

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Your back pain could be caused by a number of reasons.

Have you experienced injury to that region before?

Do you regularly perform strength exercises for that region?

Are you keeping your chest and shoulders facing forward during the stretch?

4. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

Thought I'd highlight this in particular. I think a lot of people in any physical discipline overlook this when it comes to overall flexibility (and when the words 'core training' pop up). If you've never done any focused strength work on the lower back or you overwork it, you will likely struggle with progress in flexibility training.

Also have you got a very pronounced curve in your back or do you lean when doing the stretch? There's always the possibility you could be compensating for tight hip flexors (a problem I still have to work vigorously to combat after 14 years of training).

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

To add to VoidKarateka's excellent post, if tight hip flexors are the culprit then you'll definitely struggle doing front splits (which stretch the hip flexors of the back leg).

Splits are often seen as a display of leg flexibility, so people are quite surprised they need nearly total body strength and flexibility.

6. Hawken

Hawken New Member

First of all, thank you for responding. I will answer your questions now.
    I have never sustained any injuries to that region before.
    I do not perform any strength exercises for that region.
    I find it somewhat difficult to keep my chest and shoulders facing forward while in the stretch. Also, is it wrong if I do the splits with the rear leg bent to the outside instead of it facing the floor?
    Yes, I do lean a slightly bit when I'm doing the stretch.
    I would also like to mention that what I feel is not pain but some sort of tightness.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My guess -- and it is just a guess without being able to treat you personally -- is you may have a strength deficit (possibly throughout the entire posterior chain, as your pain might be a symptom of weakness elsewhere).

A regular diet of deadlifts (standard and Romanian), rows, pull-ups and back hyperextensions will probably resolve it in time. I can write you a program or recommend several which are available on the Internet. We also have a goldmine of strength and conditioning information here at Martial Arts Planet, with many knowledgeable lifters including Mascarenhas, Fish of Doom, Gary (MOD), Frodocioud (MOD), and several others whose names I forgot due to absence (my apologies).

I use keeping the upper body facing forward as a training cue for my athletes and clients, to prevent excessive twisting of the back (particularly in the thoracic and lumbar spine). As long as there's no distinctive twist in your back and your symptoms get better (not worse), I suppose facing off-centre might not be a bad thing. After all, not everyone's knees and toes point out at the same angle when squatting. Still, pay attention to your issues and consider consulting a therapist if you don't get better.

8. Hawken

Hawken New Member

I see. It would be really nice if you could recommend me a training program. Also, is it okay if I do the full stretching routine everyday? (including the isometric stretches). Or is it better to have resting days between the workouts?

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If you want to build overall strength (with some muscle gains), StrongLifts 5 x 5 is a great beginner program. You can read about it here:

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I strongly (get it?) recommend hiring a strength coach/personal trainer to teach you proper form. It will lead to less regrets later.

If it's just back work you want to do, here's the program I'm currently using:

Deadlift: 5 x 5
    Bent over row: 5 x 5
    Weighted pull-up (wide grip): 3 x 8-12
    Weighted dips (chest variation) 3 x 8-12

If I'm short on time, I'll drop the pulls and dips and opt for hyperextensions over a Swiss ball while holding a weight plate against my chest.

10. Hawken

Hawken New Member

Ok, thank you very much for all the help. I will post weekly my results in this thread.

11. Hawken

Hawken New Member

Hello! I have been stretching for around 2 weeks and I am 16 inches away from the floor when doing the side split. I know it is nothing much, but for me, it's definitely an improvement. Now, I have a few questions:
    1. How is it better to do the front splits? With the rear knee facing the side or facing the floor? I am doing the former version.
    2. Is it enough to do the isometric exercises 3 times a week? Something like Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Or should I do them Saturday as well?

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

1. Whichever feels most comfortable for you.

2. Isometrics are strength exercises - don't do the same muscles on consecutive days.

13. Hawken

Hawken New Member

Hey! I am 13 inches away from the floor when doing the front splits. Also, my lower back doesn't feel tight anymore when doing the stretches. I have a problem with the side split though, as I seem to have given back around 3 inches. Would it be a good idea to do more exercises aimed at the side split? If so, could you please recommend me some?

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No.

Give it a few months, see what happens and then come back here.

15. dariodariodario

dariodariodario Valued Member

problem with my back when i slide down into the splits

Good evening i have the same problem of this guy and as this guy i don't have any injuriesc can i have the same help for my problem ? thanks

16. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Over development of some muscles can lead to under development of others, problems with tendons and/or restricted range of movement these can, in turn, combine to make it difficult for you to perform front splits with good posture. Poor posture could well place strain on your back resulting in pain.

you mention that you are new - possibly you are jumping in too far with the stretching. Better results are gained by doing less difficult stretches with good posture and good form than buy doing a more extreme stretch with poor form.

Find postures and stretches that you can do well and build up from there.

Also call for the wise fish.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016