It's All About the Strength

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

you're misreading his posts. his initial statement was about psychological effects, which you addressed by talking about physiological changes. zaad stated that using YOUR arguments (ie you're accusing him of saying what he accused you of saying), creatine should be dismissed, etc. you then addressed neither his reasoning nor his information.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Jesus your actually arguing for steriod use?
    As i said before, enjoy the endocrine side effects and liver cancers.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

explain where i did that.

4. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi all,

and lest I be accused of default trolling, this is a genuine bit of curiosity on my part. While no one here seems to be actively advocating the use of steroids, there seems to be a bit of sympathy at the very least for some of the people that are using them. The level playing field thing, etc.

My question is, do folks think that there should be any limitations on this? Should there be a line or are we better off legalising the lot and regulating for the sake of health?

paul

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm sure you can see how these two statements could be seen as contradictory?

I happen to agree with you in as much as correct body mechanics would make a movement less demanding. If I utilise my legs, hips and upper body correctly in a turning kick I can perform it with a lot of power but minimal effort. One of the senior TKD guys I train with who I have huge respect for talks about this on occasion.

But that does not alter the fact that a strong person performing the same biomechanically efficient movement will do it with more power than a weak person performing it.

Martial arts let you make the most of the laws of physics, not ignore them.

Mitch

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Despite your claims of having a lot more experience than others on here, this ignorant opinion sure isn't helping those claims.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Re: steroid abuse, a good example to look at is Craig Titus in terms of how quickly they shrink when they don't have their special supplementation.

Craig for a show was always huge, pushing 280 or more at a height of 5'8".

[​IMG]

When he and his wife were arrested for murder, you first saw him at his preliminary hearing where he was still fairly big.

[​IMG]

By the time he was sentenced, he shrunk considerably.

[​IMG]

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I have presented a Chinese wrestling skill "leg lift" (or Judo "Uchi Mata") that require strength to execute. Could you show us a skill that doesn't require strength?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  9. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Sigged!

10. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Robinhood.... STRENGTH RULES

but in the rare case in a lot of skill over little strength, look at all of Nick Diaz fights. He wears opponents down with pitter patter tip tap boxing punches and wins by KO if not totally messes his opponents face up.

11. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

jeez, Triceps... GONE

its that low protein soy jail food...

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

One of my students he is not very big. he could lift a V8 engine with his arms (A Buick V8 engine weight 450 lb. A Chevy V8 engine weight 575 lb). Oneday in wrestling, he lift a 250 lb guy over his head. My teacher saw it and told me that if I could bring him back to Taiwan, He could give a lot of trouble in Taiwan SC/Judo/wrestling world.

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

No im not. im suggesting the studies on creatine use proper cycling and do not look at continuous use. hence the recommendation by many medical professional to stop using creatine for a couple weeks after every cycle to flush it out of your system as they are unsure whether your body becomes unable to produce creatine or not, none of the studies i've seen look at prolonged use which many athletes do.
    If steroids had no side effects would it be okay?
    With the logic that creatine is a PED and PEDs are bad and have a psychological addiction (your argument in a previous post), creatine should be banned too - which was what FoD was trying to explain..

*Sigh*
    Fusen, you're a cool guy and i agree with many of your posts but it seems that you;re on a bit of a rant and not even trying to read what FoD posted. he was discussing the lack of understanding of my previous post.

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

if we do legalise certain PEDs, i think that they should not be available to by in store and should be medically/state prescribed to athletes, i also think that the cycling of PEDs should be monitored and that even legal ones should be monitored like creatine.
    when i was in thailand i found a number of illegal PEDs available over the counter that even kids could buy (e.g. not even from pharmacies) but i did not find any creatine there.

im not saying that the east german doping system worked great, but i'm saying it had a decent model for everything (even talent selection was great) except doping kids and monitoring cycling and informing athletes.

15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I think I figured out that Robinhood is not talking about technique when he means skill. He is talking tactics.

For example, you could have a perfect leg lift technique, using all the best leverage points. Now let's say you are applying the leg lift on someone more than twice your size. Due to the fact that you have such good leverage, you are still able to apply the technique. However, you are still forcing the technique to work due to it being a one-dimensional attack.

On the other hand, say that you get your opponent to tense up and straighten their legs, making it much easier to apply the technique because the opponent has already put themselves off balance and made it easier for you to move them. Now you use the same exact leg lift technique but this time it takes a lot less effort.

Because your leg lift technique is perfect in both cases above, there is no way to equate skill to how well you perform the technique. The only thing left is to equate skill to how much effort it took to perform the technique successfully. More skilled, less effort needed.

The big issue with equating skill with how much effort is required is that skill is an artificial term. You cannot measure it. You have to break things down into factors such as timing, environment, etc.

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I just did some research. My conclusion about Robinhood is

- an internal guy.
    - a standing stuff guy (may be Yi Chuan guy).
    - a Qi guy.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Robinhood
    Internal can be applied to running, did you ever see the RemoWilliams movie where he was running on the beach and the master was saying "float float". Same thing.

Almost everyone that practices Tai-Chi sets has no idea of the internal, the internal comes from doing the standing stuff, not Tai-Chi sets.

What does two guys wrestling have to do with internal.?

I don't know why you are always talking about movements and techniques, INTERNAL comes before the movement.

just because you cannot use Chi does not mean other people can't.

So tell me of your years of standing experience.?

You need to stop worrying about what I can do, and figure out why you can't do it.

Take the time and do some steady standing and maybe you will realize something.

There is a very clear difference between internal application and external application, if you don't think there is, then you are external person only thinking you have some internal.

This is another clue that you are not doing internal, if you were doing internal you would continue to improve, and as you continue to improve your view changes and since your view does not change...

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I had mentioned that in order to make anything work (such as tactics), you will need:

- catch the right timing,
    - be able to detect the opportunity,
    - enter through a right angle,
    - know how to apply your strength, and
    - have proper balance when you execute your move.

For some unknown reason, Robinhood just ignored that strength is 1 of the 5 major requirements in order to make anything work.

18. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

You use the other guys strength, he starts you finish.

Cheers

19. Man, you don't want to be caught in a fight with another weakling! :cool:
    If no-one has strength, it must be bloody! :evil:

:zzz:

Osu!

20. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

The amount of strength you use, is inversely related to your degree of skill.

You can always apply more than is needed, but that seems like a waste of energy. I don't think tactics is another name for skill, but if that makes more sense for you, maybe MA's could be called martial tactics.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.