Looking for a Judo Club

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Pretty In Pink, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Basically after watching Rhonda tear it up with all the judo I want that too, because wrestling just isn't working out for me

These are the videos I've been seeing:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFM-y7HrEug"]UFC 170 Open Workout Ronda Rousey Judo Throws - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOV3qVIEFng"]Judo / Wrestling Throws and Trips in MMA - Volumes 1-5 - YouTube[/ame]

Got a few places on the list, gonna phone them as soon as I can :)

2. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Try to find one that does Freestyle Judo. You don't want to get in the habit of ignoring the legs, or becoming dependent on the Gi to throw people.

Why is wrestling not working out if I might ask? Is it wrestling itself or the club you are working with?

3. Pretty In Pink

I'm naturally very tall and lazy. The wrestling I learn is solid, but I just think Judo would work better because it requires less driving, which I'm just terrible at. I also want to learn judo for the advantage in BJJ competitions.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There's nowt so beautiful as a high amplitude judo throw. Love it.

5. Pretty In Pink

*Dances around*

I found a place they are EXTREMELY accommodating as they are willing to let me cut into their three hour class an hour late! I'M SO EXCITED!

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Judo is awesome! But...to apply it in MMA will take years of training. Do it because Judo is awesome, not because you think it will make your MMA better in the short/medium term.

7. Pretty In Pink

True, but at the same time it will not diminish it at all. I'm very comfortable thai clinching, I want to improve my over/under clinch and also learn some throws. I do not think that it will take more than a year before I start applying it regularly to my current sparring partners.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm thinking someone of chadderz build would favour a nice uchi mata?

9. Pretty In Pink

That's the other thing. I really should learn the names in Japanese :(

10. Combat Sports

Well, you arguably could get around the need for wrestling but there is one thing you cannot turn your back on. SPRAWLING which they are likely never to teach you in judo. Judo practioners tend to stand straight up. (They have no reason not to, as contact with the legs is illegal now.) When my daughter went back to Judo after eight months of wrestling when they sparred freestyle she was able to takedown the girl who outranked her with every single and double she tried as the girl didn't know how to sprawl at all.

If you do Gi BJJ Judo will absolutely help with that.

Another thing, make sure you are going to get in live sparring, a lot of Judo clubs don't let you throw people. You get to lift people a lot but they ask you not to finish the throw. Some of this is just due to the facility. I got lucky that my Judo club practices in a gymnastics room with the springboard floor.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  11. Pretty In Pink

Yeah man I can sprawl fine in pure grappling, but when I do MMA my sprawling goes out the window and I rely on my fists and footwork.

12. Pretty In Pink

Quick update:

It doesn't start until September, however one of the members has offered to come out and teach me until the classes start! In exchange he would like to know a few things about kickboxing and MMA :)

13. Combat Sports

Some people can make that work. You will have to adapt somehow if you end up against a good wrestler. :)

14. Pretty In Pink

Having a good guard at this level beats most wrestlers tbh. If they're good at BJJ to then I'm screwed :p

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

A Judo club that doesn't do randori isn't a Judo club.

It would be like a baseball club that doesn't have a pitcher.

16. Pretty In Pink

I'm sure they will have randori, hopefully a little newaza too >:D

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It probably will actually your stance will change, the distance you start and end throws will change, how you do upper body throws will change, (wrestling upper throws are rotational in nature, judo you pull in and project away, big difference) and it will take away from time you can be spending learning single and doubles and bodylock takedowns (which are the three highest percentage moves in MMA and not taught in most judo clubs) Case in point you want to improve your over and under hook throws, you wont learn that directly in judo, you will have to modify what you do which means you will have to have a very good understanding of the throw first, and then of no gi work, why not ask your wrestling coach to simply work your upper body throws more? Not to mention as a newbie your injuries might keep you out of your other training for a while lol!

As holy said learn judo because its well…judo and to help your standing BJJ, don’t expect it to help with your MMA much, the people able to make the transition to MMA well from judo are all high level guys and girls, and even they have trouble when meeting a similar high level wrestler, its just there is no one at Rondas level anywhere, female wrestling simply isnt at the same level as women judo If you check out the guys in the UK with a very good judo background, like jimmy wallhead, they are not known for their takedowns, they are known for using their skills to stay standing

18. Pretty In Pink

My stance will only change if I let it. I don't believe it will do ish my current skill level. I have seen blue belts in judo or those with judo experience from childhood throw people in the MMA class. I think it will be fine.

19. Combat Sports

Blue belts in Judo? I know there is blue belt in BJJ but Judo is White,Green,Brown, Black. I suppose individual instructors can put more colors in there.

The techniques that Icefield is talking about was some of the things I was referring to that are getting to be key to the MMA game. The game is evolving again. Wrestlers are slowly taking it over as submissions are on the decline. (Someone pointed out there were only 4 in the UFC so far this year.)

I am not saying don't take Judo. (I take Judo and love it. My kids take Judo and use some of it in their wrestling.) But there are some wrestling fundamentals that I strongly recommend.

Eddie Bravo made some good points in his book I read about the current state of MMA ground game and how we have guys getting taken down, pulling guard and lying there getting ground and pounded doing their best to fend off punches but finding themselves unable to do much else for multiple reasons.

1. Sweat.
    2. Being trained to rely on the Gi, means all of their go to set ups for submissions are gone. (This applies to Judo Newaza too.)
    3. The "voodoo" of submissions from the bottom is faded as fighters know what to expect. Even a novice in BJJ can posture and otherwise defend submissions. It was easy when nobody knew what an Armbar, Triangle, Kimura etc were.

A wrestler learns how to move their opponent where they want them and rain down pain. While they are doing this they are getting points for being on top and when they are up there it's very difficult to get them off you. If they hold you and beat you up for the whole round you will lose that round no matter how impressive your ground game is on the bottom.

I guess you did say "at this level" you might be fighting some opponents who are not well trained.

I love Judo and I think you will learn great things from it. But wrestling is the foundation at this stage of evolution.

If you are still set on giving up on wrestling, another point I would make is to read Eddie Bravo's arguments about anything involving the Gi and taking it into the ring and the problems with that. See if your Judo club will help you emphasize throws that work without the Gi. I got lucky that our Judo club will teach my kids no-gi.

Final Note: I understand you reviewed some great videos of Judo players and their success in MMA. I would counter by watching some Randy Couture, Matt Hughes, Frankie Edgar, Daniel Cornier, GSP, Jon Jones, etc. The list of Judo players who made the transition is far shorter.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  20. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member