What's up with US executions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by David Harrison, Jul 25, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

So, since Europe stopped selling execution chemicals to the US, they've been having problems making people dead in states that have the lethal injection.

What I don't get is why states with the death penalty don't just use cyanide, firing squads, guillotines, or any other method that guarantees a quicker death?

Is it purely for aesthetic reasons?

Is extended suffering that is not obvious to the observer thought of as better than a short amount of suffering that visibly damages the body, or causes extreme convultions and the like?

I really don't get it :confused:

2. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I don't get it either, personally i'd prefer firing squad.

Baza

3. David Harrison

Me too.

Hell, I'd prefer being drowned to the gas chamber or lethal injection!

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It's a topic that has been in the media lately.

Honestly I would prefer we shoot people in the head. Or hell, use the rod device we use to kill cattle. There really shouldn't be any suffering for a person you're going to kill.

I would rather see us do away with the death penalty though, since one mistake is too many in my opinion.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Guillotine. You don't have to buy bullets, and you don't need a doctor to pronounce the felon dead.

But back to the question -- no, I don't understand it either. The 8th Amendment says the execution can't be "cruel or unusual," and the "cruel" part is interpreted to mean that we can't give the felon prolonged suffering; in other words, death has to come quickly and without pain. So again, I say, guillotine. It's over in an instant. :dunno:

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think they should use death by mau mau.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Imagine its appearances. Since I read about all the problems with injection I'm with the firing squad preference too. But a peaceful injection comes across as more humane than bullets or axes. We're used to it with pets if nothing else.

8. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

At this point though you are merely a spiritual observer and not caring that the bullets that killed you had to be paid for lol.

Baza

9. David Harrison

Haha!

I think that might come under the banner of "cruel or unusual" :D

10. David Harrison

What about a lethal heroin or morphine injection?

Seems much simpler than fannying around with esoteric chemicals that don't always work so well.

11. David Harrison

I think this too.

But if you're going to have it, why turn it into such a rigmarole?

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think you'll find death by mau mau is both cruel AND unusual. :)

13. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Death by "snoo snoo" is my choice.

[​IMG]

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Even if the legal injection takes hours to work, the convict is still unconscious. It is by far the most humane method of execution. It's still a long way from civilised though.

15. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

The States are becoming the one place where it is assured that a hopelessly complicated, bureaucratic nightmare will be made of anything

16. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Too many agencies stepping on each other's turfs with scheduled items such as skag and whatnot. :rolleyes:

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

From I remember of my wiki reading the 2 big problems as it stands were one specific chemical used to inhibit pain possibly being bad, and that the mixtures aren't made to measure and they instead use a "one size fits all" mixture that naturally gives mixed results. I didn't get the impression the injection itself is bad as such, only the half assed way its implemented.

Course, in a country that seems to be heavily on the retribution side of the penal system I'm unsure how many cares are given to whether they suffer or not. Or I'm very jaded by facebook comments.

18. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDO6HV6xTmI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDO6HV6xTmI[/ame]

19. David Harrison

You don't need to be conscious to be decapitated, shot, or injected with heroin/morphine/cyanide.

The "lethal" bit has nothing to do with the "conscious" bit.

20. David Harrison

I just found out your country doesn't prescribe heroin. For shame. It works better at lower doses than morphine. Which makes it better for palliative care.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014