What's up with US executions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by David Harrison, Jul 25, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

From what I've read in the news, they're messing about with different chemicals because Europe has stopped supplying the usual ones. Requests for states to disclose where they are now sourcing chemicals have been denied.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I don't get why the US can't make these drugs themselves. So, Europe stopped selling them, why can't we make them?

I actually am against the death penalty, but not with the usual liberal sympathies towards the criminals that I often see associated with anti-death penalty stances. I have no problem with the idea of a life sentence of hard labor.

So, if we are set on doing executions, which if the overwhelming majority opinion here, I do want to see them done more efficiently.

3. aaradia

Not always true. From what I have read, sometimes the convicted has a history of drug abuse that makes their veins weak/ bad. The weak veins collapse and the drug does not go through the body the way it is supposed to and it causes problems.

4. David Harrison

The difference is that if you're found to be wrongfully convicted, you get to appreciate it.

Seeing as recent studies estimate nearly 1 in 20 death row convicts in the U.S. are innocent, that's not an insignificant number of people who potentially could carry on with their lives.

5. aaradia

Well, I would like to see those studies. That number sounds awefully high. However, I agree in principle with this post.

Wrongful convictions, all too often based on who can afford good defense lawyers, or with things like racism involved are one of the reasons I am against the death penalty.

And while in principle I believe executions should be carried out quickly, efficiently, and without suffering. I must also admit I don't feel particularly sympathetic to a rapist, murderer, child predator, torturer that feels some pain himself when he dies. (Or she in rare cases.) I don't rejoice in it, but their suffering doesn't keep me up at night worrying about them. That said, it is still very very wrong to have one suffer.

I know, it doesn't sound like I am against the death penalty but I really am. Have been since I was a kid.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

For all my patriotic trolling of our cousins in the North American British Overseas Territory, I do like the USA. But its continued use of the death penalty makes me disappointed, especially when the White House constantly criticises countries China and Iran for human rights violations. No civilised nation should employ death as punishment, in my opinion.

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Countries who executed the most people in 2012
    1. China
    2. Iran
    3. Iraq
    4. Saudi Arabia
    5. United States

If you are in a top 5 with those countries for anything then it's not something to be proud of.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The US justice system is ironically named

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

"Your country"?? lol...

Anyroads, Heroin is a Schedule I substance in the United States (scheduling is different in the UK) and yes, its 'control' is under the jurisdiction of US Agencies who are loath to draw up the complicated paperwork and internal politics if it had to share with the US Prisons B.

Remember above all, when it comes to the States, Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork, paperwork,paperwork, paperwork...

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

To me, what's even more inhumane is that by the time they get 'round to actually executing an inmate, its been so long since the presumed crime has taken place, the inmate can't even remember ( from experience events ) what they did.

11. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

QFT. I prefer to call it "just-us". The only people who genuinely benefit from it are "just us"...that is, the beaurocracy and assorted cronies. :p It's truly much more a farce than 18th century Britain's system.

12. David Harrison

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Could they not just use general anaesthetic to knock them out and then insert needles into multiple veins and bleed them to death?
    Take out like 5 pints and they'd just slowly slip away right?

14. David Harrison

I don't think you'd even need anaesthetic. Whenever I give blood I like to do a little "death meditation"; there's something very soothing about having the life drained out of you, if you think about it in the right way.

15. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

You must be a goth, right? ;)

16. David Harrison

Haha!

No, but I did used to hang out with a few.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Buddhist death meditations:

http://www.buddhanet.net/deathtib.htm

As well as the reasons for contemplating death in the link above, I find life to get a bit tiring at times, so a little taste of "the big sleep" is rejuvinating :Angel:

17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

They can choose there last supper I read somewhere that they order expensive menus and only eat a few bites at a great cost to the tax payer. They should have to pay for the meal and their choice of execution method as well.

A shot to the back of the head would probably be free in many states, and would probably be popular. It could be provided for those that couldn't pay.

A combination of heroin and cocaine, during a threesome, would be the most enjoyable way to die I imagine. Probably expensive though.

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Some folks just need killin'. Murka.

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think the last meal is a nice thing to do. My impression is that its, apart from the religious connotations, part of an idea that once you're going to be executed you're granted a degree of decency. You're going to die. Your debt is being paid, you can be granted some small courtesy.

As far as people wasting meals, I doubt its a hugely popular thing to do (I know a few famous people were refused extravegent meals after someone did that) and lets be honest, its such a pathetically negligible drop in the tax budget that it doesn't matter. Last I heard Javelin missiles cost tens of thousands a pop. I don't think buying steak and caviar that goes uneaten by someone who's facing death the next day is going to cripple the US economy.

20. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Javelin Missiles are a very specific comparison . . . . . .

I only noticed because that was one of the weapon systems I specialized in.