Slothosaurus Training Log!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by LemonSloth, Aug 28, 2013.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

'Murican weights and measures are based loosely on the English sort, you know. Silly sloth!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_units#Length

And the Rothschilds effectively own 'Murica, so the rebel alliance has long been absorbed by the Evil Empire in all but name. Our right wing hyper-nationalists are certainly glad that your regime allows us to maintain all delusions of independence, though.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Great level of activity here Slothy! And more swimming! Keep it up mate

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Yeah, but you use them, so it's no longer cool. Obviously :p.

It's all part of the plan, you know. You'll want us back one day, then you can pay the 200 odd years of unpaid taxes you owe us :p

Cheers buddy. Your absence from MAP has been noticed, young man!

4. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Thanks! Been busy and I have to sleep sometime... Not so young any more...

5. LemonSloth

31/10/14:

Not much today. Feeling sore and stiff from the past few days and my lung capacity has gone down horribly today.

Since the oldest is out tonight I've basically spent the night watching movies an' such with the missus and doing stretches and mobility work (band assisted).

EDIT: HarryF - you're not old yet! :p

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Ha! Older than yesterday, younger than tomorrow... #zen, or something. I'm still learning about Twitter

7. matveimediaarts

LOL!!! :D Y'all got more than your pound of flesh via international bankers (in y'all's case, the Bank Of England-working in cahoots with the Nogoodniki at the Federal Reserve like Comrades Bernanke and Greenspan)

8. LemonSloth

01/11/14:

Took the day off conventional training. Did some other stuff I'm not logging (except to mention that my shoulders hurt like hell when I was done). A little disappointed but since I'm not sleeping properly at the moment, that shouldn't be a surprise. I did use the CoC gripper a bit more today though and yesterday.

02/11/14:

Jeez, my shoulders today are aching like I've gone for a record set of sledgehammer swings. They're really bad :(.

Again, not much sleep. This makes Sloth cranky. Also means I'M MISSIN' MAH GAINZ, BRAH!!! :p

Gym time:
    Bench press:
    w/ bar @ 1 x 10
    w/ 25kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 30kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 35kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 40kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 45kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 55kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 65kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 70kg @ 5 x 3*

* Possibly 6 x 3, I lost count and assumed I'd done fewer sets than I thought I did. Every set up to and including 50kg was done paused & with a slow decline. Doing sets of 3 reps always sucks but considering how little bench pressing I've done and with both shoulders kaput today, I was just happy to add an extra 5kg.

Deadlift:
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 70kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 80kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 90kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 100kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 110kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 120kg @ 5 x 3

I'd forgotten how to deadlift, it seems :p. More weight than last time though and completely strap free this time, so that's something. Did have to switch to mixed grip at 120kg mind which was a touch disappointing. Deadlifts. Made of love, rage and calluses.

Ab wheel:
    1 x 8

Trololololol. :p

Chin ups and pull ups:
    2 x 1 & 1 (4 in total)

Crappy performance but given aforementioned state of general wellbeing, it's good I'm starting to be able to do them again even before I'm feeling back at 100%.

OHP:
    w/ 45kg @ 2 x 10
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 4

Had planned to do the usual volume but having left them until last, my shoulders were knackered.

9. matveimediaarts

Have you tried using those nifty gloves made for deadlifts and general weight lifting? I've thought about it, but I'd rather earn the calluses and save the $'s for something else.

10. LemonSloth

Nah, I thought about it too but ended up using cheap, crappy hand wrap/padding stuff I first used when I started kickboxing instead. Makes things a touch harder to grip but no blisters or callouses from the sledgehammer and what-not is worth it.

=====

03/11/14:

Trap bar farmer's walk:
    w/ 45kg @ 1 x 40m
    w/ 85kg @ 1 x 20m
    w/ 115kg @ 3 x 20m

115kg is the max weight I have at the moment to load onto the trap bar. This was just a brief try out as I only had a few minutes earlier in the day. Zaad recommended this more than once so I figured I would finally give it a try. Got rained off before long (the rain makes the trap bar too slippery to hold) but holy bat poop, I like these ones. Next time I'm finding a better spot so I have more than 10 metres of shuffling room though :).

Kickboxing stuff:
    2 min shadow sparring, 1 min rest
    2 min bob & weave, 1 min rest
    Repeat x 5

Gentle stretches.

That's it tonight.

11. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I was going to make some comment along the line of 'make sure your gloves match your handbag', but then I remembered that I agree blisters on your hands suck major monkey scrota, so dead on for wearing them when sledgehammering... Providing that they don't make the blisters worse due to the extra fabric folding over as you grip... :D

Epic trap bar walks though! You know what it means you have to do now though, right? Buy more plates!

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

put it do at the end of each length and turn around and piick it up = more deadlifts.

where the heck did you get a trap bar?!

13. LemonSloth

[​IMG]

So instead of mocking me, you give me something to be paranoid over? Thanks buddy, you know how to make a gal feel special... :p :D

It's pretty good with the sledgehammer though, I've managed to go a few hundred swings at a time and not get any friction burns or anything thus far so I think I'm ok.

Ha! You should see my shed right now, it just looks like a dumping ground for all my kit. The wife will kill me if I buy more plates. :eek:

I do have an extra 70kg worth of plates for an (EDIT: should have been EZ, not EX) grip bar though, the hole is too small to fit on the ends but I might be able to use a bit of strong wire or something similar to tie them onto a loop that can just slip on and off the end.

First things first though, make sure I can do it for a reasonable distance and volume :).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  14. LemonSloth

I did, hence how I got 20m from a 10m distance :p. It's knackering to keep picking it up over and over though so part of it is me being a bit of a wuss. :eek:

eBay. I've had it for a couple of months or so but forgot I had it :D.

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

man i want one.

try working up in 10kg increments from 85kg and then after 115kg work back down like a pyramid - its fun!

you wont want to deadlift or carry for months after

16. LemonSloth

That sounds pretty cool actually Zaad, I'll have to try that next time I have a decent amount of time with the trap bar :).

=====

04/11/14:

Feeling a touch lethargic today, between man-flu that refuses to leave and a lack of appetite, I'm not the most energetic today :p.

Gym time:
    25 minutes walking in total to and from (weightless).

OHP:
    w/ bar @ 1 x 10
    w/ 25kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 30kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 35kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 40kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 45kg @ 3 x 10, 2 x 5
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 6

Up to and including 40kg was BTN. Sticking with the slow progression stuff I did previously that led to my 70kg strict press pre-shoulder injury, just a little more sped up. Pressed ( :D ) for time though so stopped there and moved quickly to squats.

Squats:
    w/ bar @ 1 x10
    w/ 30kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 40kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 70kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 80kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 90kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 100kg @ 1 x 5, 1 x 1

Yeesh, just wasn't feeling it today. Did one squat for the second set and just went "nope" in my head. But then I suppose with deadlifts on Sunday, trap bar farmers' walks yesterday and then squats today, that shouldn't be a surprise.

Ab wheel:
    1 x 9

Moar slow progressions.

Did a few curls w/ 35kg with the EZ curl bar just before I headed home but again, didn't really feel up to much.

Gentle stretches

A bit of light technique work as well tonight but that's it. Plan for tomorrow is to squeeze in a swim, a weighted walk and eat a crap ton of food and sleep for kickboxing the day after.

17. LemonSloth

05/11/14:

I have a new word of the day. "Natty". Thank you, Greg Nuckolls. It's even better when you sing it to the tune of "Everything is awesome". :D

Swimming:
    1k in all.
    200m breaststroke
    700m front crawl/breaststroke alternating every 25m.
    50m front crawl w/ just legs.
    50m front crawl w/ just arms.

Took a lot longer than it should have done because I kept having to swim between people with my mad ninja skills. But I got there :p. Did mean I had to cut the last 100m out as I had shopping to do mind but hey ho, he was ploughing a troll. The gods only know how the key fits the hole. :dunno:

Weighted walk:
    1.5 miles, +40kg.

Nice to feel like 40kg is perfectly manageable again, if fairly challenging :).

Gentle stretches.

That's it today. I plan on playing on some form of console, watching more of the Desolation of Smaug extended DVD and going to bed early tonight. I am happy. Also possibly a touch hyper :).

18. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

:banana: awesome

19. LemonSloth

06/11/14:

Kickboxing:
    1 Hour.

Oh hell, probably the best session I've had in a long time. Because it was the worst I've had in a long time. I literally couldn't breathe properly at points (man flu isn't clearing, my chest is tight and I'm struggling to breathe properly), had no power in my punches or kicks compared to usual, foot work was terrible, felt really slow, got winded because I lost focus for a second and genuinely thought I was going to hurl towards the end. Misjudged my state of health and in hindsight, probably should have left it another week.

But because of all that I loved it. Every single moment of it. The progress I've made since I started is huge and now a horrendous performance from me now outstrips anything I could have managed when I first started. My sparring has also improved drastically over time. So although the session was hell, I came away really happy.

Also I bought tickets to go watch our guys fight in some full contact matches as well as watching some K-1 matches live for the first time ever at the end of the month. And I got a discount! Woop!

=====

07/11/14:

Aikido:
    1.5 hours.

Loved it. It wasn't hugely demanding on the cardio, wasn't the hardest technical session I've ever had, wasn't full on...but the atmosphere was great, I actually felt like I knew what I was doing, my locks came on a treat in a way they haven't done for a few years now and the guys were fantastic. Had a wrist locked slapped on me so hard by one of the brown belts I dropped to the floor laughing hysterically (I have a weird thing that when people cause me pain in large enough quantities I burst out laughing instead of saying ow. Go figure.). Always come away feeling relaxed and happy from Aikido no matter how hard the session is though, it's such a nice change from the kickboxing.

Sensei asked me if I wanted to grade this time round though which was a huge compliment for me. I said no though as some of the techniques I have to learn aren't sticking properly. But still, I be flattered.

=====

08/11/14:

Technically a rest day. I have to leave home with the kids for a couple of days to go kickboxing and Aikido so when I come back I want to spend time with the wife. Done a fair few press ups today though and I might sneak in some resistance band based sparring work maybe, I don't know.

20. LemonSloth

09/11/14:

Had planned on some sledgehammer work but it was not meant to be today. Didn't squeeze in resistance band work either last night as I had a lazy night. :whistle:

I keep meaning to sort out a routine that includes sledgehammer work each week and I keep failing to. I really must crack on with that.

Gym time:

25 minute walk to and from the gym, no extra weight.

BTN OHP:
    w/ bar @ 1 x 10
    w/ 25kg @ 1 x 6
    w/ 30kg @ 1 x 6
    w/ 35kg @ 1 x 6
    w/ 40kg @ 1 x 5

Quick warm up is quick.

OHP:
    w/ 45kg @ 4 x 10
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 6
    w/ 55kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 3

Immediately after the BTNs. Nice to see the 60kg press already creeping back in and the 45kg presses are already getting lighter again.

Front squats:
    w/ bar @ 1 x 10
    w/ 30kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 40kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 65kg @ 1 x 5

Gradual progression is cool. Warm up for back squats. The weight isn't an issue with these and I think I could go a fair bit heavier but something keeps bugging me about this. Might be my hand position. :dunno:

Back squats:
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 70kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 80kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 90kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 100kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 110kg @ 5 x 3

Done immediately after front squats. Finally after all this time got 1 x BW squats for sets & reps. Granted it's only 5 x 3 but hell, it's a start. :)

Pull ups and chin ups:
    3 x 1 & 1

One more of each than last time! :p. I don't mind the slow progression with these now I can finally do them in very small quantities.

Ab wheel:
    1 x 9

Quick roll out to finish. I prefer doing more volume in one set than lots of smaller sets & reps with these (not that 9 reps is a lot of volume admittedly but you get the point :p).

Gentle stretches.