Karate in Birmingham, UK

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dillinger, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hi all. I've been reading this site over the last few days as I'm trying to nail down a decent Karate school in Birmingham. I've been all over Google over the last few days, learning about what to look out for in a decent school. As such, I have become very aware, possibly to the point of paranoia, about being ripped off by some awful McDojo.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good Karate school in the on the south side of Birmingham if possible. Can anyone suggest anything, and who to avoid please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Hi Dillinger and welcome to MAP. :)

I've removed the link from your post as it didn't seem relevant to your post and we're particularly vigilant on first time posters posting links to school so as to avoid spam. I hope you understand.

As for Karate in Brum, Bassai may well be able to point you in the right direction. Have you a particular style in mind?

Mitch

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

http://www.birminghamshotokan.com/ have been around for ever , last I heard the chief instructor had been quite ill , but I'm sure he'll have people to cover.
    Our club is the other side of town near Sutton Coldfield if you're willing to travel.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hi Mitch, thanks for the welcome :)

My apologies for the link.

I'd like to practise Shotokan, I have found a place however I'm concerned about the sheer amount of belts that seem to be involved at the school - the excellent 'What is a McDojo?' thread in this forum has been a great help and it seems like one of the indicators of a McDojo is the amount of belts that are involved.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hey, thanks for the tip! I'm sort of Moseley way so Sutton Coldfield is a bit of a schlep for me, do you have a link for your club though please? Can't hurt to have a look :)

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member