Brazilian Ju-Jitsu the best?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Indie12, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

So here's an issue I've been debating with many folks about and wanted to see what your opinion is. I always hear this phrase "Brazilian Ju-Jitsu is the BEST" Is Brazilian Ju-Jitsu truly the best system? Is it the best system because of the introduction of Mixed Martial Arts/Cage Fighting? Or is Brazilian Ju-Jitsu like Japense Ju-Jitsu and Judo are merely good systems which derived from the same original system?

Any opinions?

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I think the real question is the best at what? But really, all things relative, it has good points and bad points, i'm slightly biased as i have a background in Sambo, but i've rolled with Judo and BJJ guys who have impressed me equally as much, but i'd put it more down to the person's approach to the style, not to mention physicality, over anything else.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

wing chun is better than bjj.

...nah, just trolling :p

on a more serious note, systems do nothing, the people who train in them do. some systems are codified in a way that makes it easy for them to be trained unto effective applicability. some systems are not, and some technically are, but due to mutation over time have become highly fubar. bjj is overwhelmingly one of the former, so its more conducive to letting people train them so they become effective fighters rather than just those predisposed to being able to fight well.

4. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Thats a hard question to answer. Its a very very popular martial art but its not the best martial art in my opnion. Its really a matter of what is best for the individuel anyway.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The best what? Best art for fighting one on one? No. The best sport in a gi? No. The best for amount of fun had? Maybe. The fact is that I've need heard anyone proclaim that BJJ is "the best" (which sounds like something. Five year old would say).

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

BJJ is not "ze best", Ramses is ze best

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

BJJ isn't my favourite art, but I will say it is the first style which my wife has done which leaves me confident she can protect herself quite well.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Bjj's strength is that its got a heavy multi ruleset competition focus, its open source in terms of technique abd generally thinks efficency is as important as fitness.

This makes it ideal for the average person to learn and get a lot of mat hours in training without getting injured.

Most BJJ'ers will think nothing of also training judo, wrestling or kickboxing too which the vast majority of other martial artists wouldn't.

9. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Best art for what? It's a solid system sure, great for fighting on the ground and such but if you wanted to do k1 it would be a pretty poor choice.

Best base art for MMA ? Possibly I don't know but I'm sure that would be contested.

Best art for subs ? Quite possibly but then again in sure catch wrestlers would have an opinion there.

Best art for IBJJF comps? Yeah I'm pretty confident about that one lol.

10. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

It's far from the best for me. Could be for others though.

I hear a phrase from th bjj crowd that makes me laugh.
    "SIZE DOSENT MATTER. IF IT DID THE ELEPHANT WOULD BE KING OF THE JUNGLE. " if this were true my money would be on the ninja meerkat

11. FunnyBadger

If size doesn't matter in bjj why do the comps have weight categories ?

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think the caveat they should have added to that is "size doesn't matter when you're the one who's trained." A decent white belt could probably do well against someone a lot heavier than them, but that new guy doesn't need to learn as much to close the gap again.

For the op, BJJ isn't the best for anything really. The best system for fighting off your back I'd go with, but that's it. As someone else said I think the attitude of BJJ is a bigger deal that the style itself: Constant pressure testing, learning with a partner, and open to new ideas and influences.

13. raaeoh

I read my post a couple of time. Perhaps my writing skills are worse than I thought. I said I thought it was a funny statement. And I also said IF it were true.witch it is not. Size does matter. I proved it to a blue belt. I just put all my weight on him. At the time 280lbs to his 160

14. FunnyBadger

Yeah sorry seems like we've crossed wires there, I was writing to support your statement lol

15. raaeoh

Seems my reading skills are a bit lacking as well today. :)

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Size matter but that is most true when there is a huge skill disparity. Also, BJJ comps do have the openweight. I can't think of other competitions that still have that. I'm not counting aikido because lol.

17. raaeoh

So I should return this? :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Most comps have weight catagories and an extra absolute catagory people of any weight can enter.

Its not always the heaviest player who wins!

19. FunnyBadger

I know, I know lol

Size/strength is an advantage though in most combat sports bjj is no exception sure skill can overcome size but as has already been said the bigger size difference then the bigger the skill required to overcome it.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Moved to Brazilian jiujitsu forum