Jillian Michaels

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by maressa, Jan 21, 2015.

1. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

I never asked you for advice. I asked if anyone here is familiar with her videos.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

maressa....

i agree with holy, bozza and hannibal. my main point in doing her videos when i'm on the road is to simply have someone walking me through a routine. because sometimes i just don't want to think about it i know how to do a pushup, and squat with proper form, for instance.

per holy's article, if michaels is indeed pawning off kettle bell videos with improper form, then that's a recipe for disaster.

regarding yoga, bozza is absolutely right. i have gotten a lot of yoga instruction so feel comfortable doing a yoga video on my own and doing the poses in such a way that gets maximum benefit while lessening the risk of injury.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And the answer was "yes, they suck"

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Like martial arts innit! Use the videos for tips, ideas, checking something or inspiration, but not for learning techniques as such.

5. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Im not familiar with kettle bells. I understand what you're saying about having someone to walk you through a routine. It helps. I've never really thought about yoga.

6. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Thanks for your opinion. Now I will form one of my own thank you. Don't ever talk to me that way again.

7. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Annnd this is the point where I ask for all involved to take a breath before their next response.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ok fine - go waste your time if you like...no skin off my nose. The fact you were given solid and articulated advice yet ignore it reveals lots about how serious you actually are. On that note her DVD will probably suit you just fine

9. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

tell you what I will let you all know how it works for me. If it does me no good then i'll eat crow.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

there's no reason to eat crow. try it out. or not. don't let the hysterics get to you. this is pretty tame stuff (the posts) comparatively speaking. i don't have a problem admitting i've done michaels videos. and you shouldn't have a problem. could you do better? sure. you can always do better.

everyone here works out a lot. i checked out some of nia shanks articles and videos per holy's link. pretty solid stuff there.

i'm also pretty self-critical whenever i do any exercise and am always seeking to develop better technique. try a video out. keep your form in mind. listen to your body. chances are if you're feeling pain you're not using proper technique. research better routines and form. don't let your ego rule you. hard work will solve your problem. if you want to be "shredded", there's a solution to that: diet and exercise.

you might not necessarily want to be "shredded" though. just sayin'. i'm not. lol. i'm a 44-year-old bjj'er. :) definitely, not shredded.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  11. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

30 day shred works

This is just one testimonial. There are more if you want to see them. I've decided not to do the shred though because I don't need to cut weight. I've decided to just go with the cardio kickboxing videos and some of her other workout regimes to build up my muscles and keep me trim.
    You do need to stay consistant with the 30 day shred in order to get results. As Jillian says you don't get results for free. www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6vfaVT8jmc

MOD Note. Thread merged with existing Jillian Michaels thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  12. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

The first quote was 3 days ago , that's a hell of a testimonial.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Are you employed by her, and trying to drum up internet interest, by any chance??

14. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

She wouldn't need me to drum up interest. Shes already made millions of dollars. Plus I live in Brazil, she lives in America.

15. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

If you are familiar with all the exercises she does then go for it. If in doubt about the form of any exercise then don't. I use all sorts of vide for all sorta of thing, But when I am unsure I always seek the advice of a pro.

Actually have. Her WII fit game it's kinda fun. I prefer Bob harpers kettle bell routine. Of course i have been using kettle. bells for more than a day.

16. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

A while back, I had a problem with anorexia. So I'm afraid of dieting. I just exercise after eating. And Jillian has some intense routines that burn calories and make me sore the next day. Which is what I want.

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Watched her kickboxing one and I think it's dangerously high impact if you aren't a very experienced martial artist. Watched her kettlebell one and yes horrible, but I'm not sold on kettlebell workouts anyway. Kettlebells are great, but they're high weight, low rep items, not 30-40 minute cardio-conditioning workout aids (I mean seriously, doing proper swings with a heavy kettlebell your heart rate is well into the cardio "zone" after a few minutes).
    30 day shred seems pretty vanilla, and interesting to note she looks nothing like how she does now. Therefore I'd say if you're going to do one of her products 30 day shred is probably the one to go for, but don't expect to look like her website.
    If you want to do a video based program P90X3 is much better IMO.

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You may want to be carefull if you've previously had an ED, also exercising after eating means you cant exercise well as all your blood is in your stomach still.
    And soreness is also not an indication of a good workout or burning calories, mearly a sign of no cooldown or overexertion and muscle strain.
    If you want sensible, long term weight control look at weightlifting, a pound of muscle burns calories 24/7 and is a lot smaller then a pound of fat.

19. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I was wondering the same thing.

20. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

The cardio kickbox workout wore me out. Somehow I got through the whole routine but it wasn't easy. I think I will do the 30 day shred now. Maybe I will try her yoga melt to.