The Git's Coronary Bypass Bypass

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by belltoller, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

If you were able to keep up with this stuff then I doff my hat to you. I think I would simply have died around the interval tire runs.

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

There warn't time for too many reps of each and there was a good bit of recovery time in between the different exercises due to explanations, etc.

The step-ladder runs were the more difficult as they required more coordinated leg/foot movement than I'm wont.

TBH, nothing yet kills me more than interval-type heavy-bag work and sparring - nothing.

But I'm certain they'll find something soon.

3. belltoller

Another session of odd-ball training routines...

Carioca ( I think I've the spelling right )
    Used by footballers and probably rugby players as well, and I'm certain I've seen these done in my young'ns American Football summer training camps.

One approaches the agility ladder from the side, stepping with right foot over left leg, crossing the left foot behind the right leg and step with the right foot over the left leg.

Again, a simple exercise that becomes rather tricky when speed is introduced and speed is, of course, introduced. Found out just how freaking uncoordinated I am - definitely something I'm going to master.

Next comes something called...the Icky Shuffle - of course Premier League as well as American Footballer's will be familiar with this one....since a picture is worth 2 thousand words (adjusted for inflation) ... sie liegt hier

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx0M7R8DqRA"]Ladder Drills - Icky Shuffle and Variations - YouTube[/ame]

I've to disclose that I was not able to do the reverse icky shuffle even remotely proper-like. I'm wondering if a good bit of the front shuffle was dodgy at that.

Zigzag

Another oddballer that leaves belltoller scratchin his noggin as to why it is included in a boxing training camp....nevertheless, I consider my self priviledged to (attempt) learn(ing) it. If I canna make it as a boxer maybe Manchester United has a fullback position available :)jester:)

Everyone knows this one - minus the attached cable. I wondered why they put it after the Icky as its a might easier to do - to make some of us feel a sense of accomplishment after failing the last one, I suppose.

Many of these agility drills are so similar to each other, its quite easy to get them mixed up. If I squint hard enough, I'll probably realise I've mixed up a couple of the demo vids - which is a crackin good reason not to post someone else' tutorial on your log, but I'm wanting some sort of record and the attempt to accurately describe these would be prohibitively long. Mind you, they are relative approximations.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7bQjqsff20"]Ladder Zig-Zag Drill - YouTube[/ame]

zigzag crossover shuffle

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM0Oz2VcxgU&spfreload=1"]Ladder Crossover Shuffle - YouTube[/ame]

There were a few more, I'll spare the details and can't recall the differences between any two of them, anyroad.

Lateral Weave over Bags

• laterally side-step over three bags
    • reverse direction after crossing over last bag
    • at the last crossover, sprint for 5 metres
    Next we did some reactive stand-up drills which I found more physically taxing (though less frustrating) than the agility ladder drills.

All -Fours explosive standup on whistle
    quite a few of these each

Explosive Standup from sitting position ( with and without medicine ball toss )

Finished up with a 3min rope skip - we were told that next week more agility ladder drills will follow but we will be donning our gloves this time...should be interesting.

4. Heraclius

Well that's certainly true. First time I sparred, I spent most of the breaks on all fours. Same when I do bagwork properly.

5. belltoller

First time I sparred I felt like ...

[​IMG]

The last time I sparred, I felt like ...

[​IMG]

Something's backwards some where :(

6. belltoller

Tried to get in some dumbell work - work harder next time to sequester a little more time for it.

Alternating 35lb dumbell standing curls

• 11 reps x 1 set
    • 10 reps x 2 sets
    • 8 reps x 3 sets
    • 6 rep x 2 sets
    • 3 rep x 1 set
    • 0 rep x 1 set
    Alternating 35lb dumbell standing shoulder press

• 10 rep x 1 set
    • 8 rep x 2 set
    • 4 reps x 1 set
    • 3 reps x 1 set
    • 2 rep x 1 set
    • 0 rep x 1 set
    Alternating 25lb triceps kickback (bench)

• 27 reps x 2 sets
    • 20 reps x 2 sets
    • 17 reps x 1 set
    • 14 reps x 1
    • 11 reps x 1
    • 10 reps x 1
    • 8 reps x 1
    • 3 reps x 1
    • 2 reps x 2 sets
    • 1 rep x 2 sets
    • 1 rep x 1 set
    • 0 reps x 1 set

7. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

How does one do a "zero rep set"?!?!?

8. belltoller

Ha! Now I know someone's reading my log.

It means that I can no longer lift or curl the weight without bending the back, etc.

I don't know jack about lifting, obviously. Canna say if lifting to zero reps has any scientific merit or not.

Your welcome to chime in on that. :)

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I wouldn't be bending the back to get in that last set.

Take the "1" set to complete failure, even if it means 2 reps, but be very strict with the form.

You want the stress on the tricep, not other areas of the body.

If you can only get 1/2 a rep of the last set then do that, but squeeze hard and maintain form.

Injury awaits those who don't use strict form and a bad back caused by poor lifting isn't funny.

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Awwww! :(

To be fair, you know I read your log, but sometimes the only things I have to say are as useful as a chocolate fire guard :p.

11. belltoller

But equally as tasteful ;)

12. belltoller

Spent time on the medium bag today (70lb) I need a replacement for the large 100lb MT bag that I had. When you want something, none of the used sports equipment places have it, when your not looking they are everywhere.

Focus was on accuracy and power - I feel like I'm missing something in my punches but canna put my finger on it. This is one area that seems to be amiss at my gym; punching seems to be done in bunches, to the point where I'm always in a winded, knackered state and by then, just getting my fist to leather is an accomplishment. I'd really like to be coached one on one with regards to correct mechanics, rotation and so forth when I'm fresh as opposed to when I'm about to black out from oxygen deprivation.

I keep making notes to myself about putting mirrors up but I've not got 'round to it so far.

Nothing too strenuous cardio-wise, the focus on foot placement, rotation of hips, proper retraction to stance, as much power delivery as possible. Got tired of chasing the buggered bag around and tied a couple of 25lb weight plates to the bottom velcro tab to stabilise the bag. Rested when tired.

HeavyBag(70lb) ~ 30 minutes
    • jabs
    • crosses
    • hooks
    I bought a new leather speed bag to replace the red synthetic one. The synthetic was actually smoother, to my surprise. Speedbag work was not as smooth as has been in recent weeks

Speedbag ~ 15 minutes

I'm wanting a decent double-end/reaction bag like this:

[​IMG]

But I've not been able to find one local retail. Instead what I have is:

[​IMG]

Which has a baseball, instead of a maizeball or leather bag attached to the elastic string. That bugger is hard to hit, lol

Baseball batter's reaction ball ~ 10 minutes

Got out my new heavy duty resistance band and did hamstring stretches to round out.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  13. belltoller

Unable to sleep by 4:30am, I decided to get up and go for a 2 mile jog. Wet, nasty, cold weather. There was a family of 5 deer ( our neighborhood is literally overrun with critters ) grazing in a neighbor's lawn watching me intently as I jogged past.

I can only imagine what was going through their heads as I ran past.

14. belltoller

Second Session

Chin-ups from dead Hang

• 5 utilising Harry's Static Hold/Slow negatives
    10lb Medicine ball slams

10lb Medicine ball slams with burpees

Jump box

• 10 ( at this point I decided to grab the 25lb dumbells and give it a go - lol, what was I thinking; drop the 25's - 20lbs each - ah...no )
    • 10 with 2lb ankle weights each leg :)o)
    Push Ups (correct form)

Crunches

• 15 (3 sets and belly is screaming - "fat boy on a diet, don't try it")

Maybe I'll manage to wrangle a third session before bedtime

15. belltoller

Today started with a big run-down on skip-roping - starting with basic one-handed timing and proceeding through - I dont know what its called - one kicks a leg out laterally as you bring it in and right before the other leg kicks off laterally, your rope slides under the feet. Another one has you alternating kick-outs (anterior/posterior as opposed to laterally) with each leg. Its supposed to be a basic skip but I found them challenging.

Next we worked on crossovers - its all about the wrists - and the trick is really keeping one's arms from doing the work. Next came "spinning" while keeping the rope going in a single-handed cadence. Then there was one which required you to hop the open rope after spinning counts on the left and right side - totally failed that one. :(

Next we went outside and did 5 sets of 30 metre sprints. Then came something new for me - the plyometric full body push up - Inky Tommy - is that what you call "knuckle pushups"? Whoa - intense.

Next came running with resistance bands - this time, instead of releasing a Velcro, once third-gear is reached one pulls back to starting position.

Next interval jump roping 1 min normal tempo, 30 second double-time

Some relay type sprinting with cones and then hurdle type runs with various plyometric boxes.

Completely, utterly exhausted - busted my knee when I miss-stepped the high box jump a couple of times.

Lastly, donned our gloves for 5 sets of rapid 1-2's one minute each with 30 second rest.

I meet with the endocrinologist again on Thursday - hopefully will find a solution to stem the tide of rapid testosterone loss ( its what goes along with the loss of T more than the loss itself ) as I'm fighting a loosing front and will loose the war if things continue to deteriorate.

16. Heraclius

I know what you mean about challenging. I can easily do 2-300 normal jumps, but I struggle to do more than 3 of those kick-out ones, if they're the ones I'm thinking of.

I don't think I've ever managed to do a minute of rapid straight punches; I think I gas out at about 40s. I've gotta say, I'm impressed with the workouts that you do. Keep it up!

Also, good luck with the endocrinologist.

17. belltoller

Reduced power, lad, reduced power. I nearly died ( heart rate over 200 ) and spent one quarter of the class hanging my head out a cracked door till I realised that when boxing class starts out doing rapid 1-2's you DONT want to go full throttle on 'em. Some say 30 - 40% power. I go at 10%. I have to until the doctors can locate and spot-weld the hole in my endocrine system - or some of the effects of 35+ years of smoking begin to take root.

18. Heraclius

Ok, I just went out and tried that, and it does make a difference. Not that I would normally use full power; I'd say usually I start around 70-75% and drop down to ... well, basically 0% (this is the point where I can no longer breath, and feel obliged to stop). So I tried it aroumd 40-50%, and... well, like I said, it does indeed make a difference.

19. belltoller

Does make a difference, donnit? Now, having said what I did regarding low power, there are times when you just have to go full-on - just to see if one is progressing if nothing else.

Since the rapid bag 1-2's were done at the end of class, I went for broke - I was surprised that I had a second wind as I was dead-knackered after the hurdles. I had enough for one and one-half sets with decent power but I paid for it in short order. The 4th set I was just trying to get the glove to touch the bag, the 5th set I was bent over for the full minute ( I'll have to try going on all fours as you suggested to catch me wind )

20. belltoller

Interval skip rope

• 1min normal, 30sec "sprint", 1min normal for 6 min
    Jog around building with intermittent sprints at agility ladder station

• ~ 10 min
    Stretches

• hamstring
    • reverse lung
    Review of basic punches and combos

• student/instructor focus mit drills
    • much (unwanted) attention paid to flaring elbows, bringing arm back, keeping arm extended after delivery
    • focus on speed, form corrected when necessary
    Shadowboxing basics

More to it than most people think - not just throwing ones arms blindly in the air

• mental aspects
    • effective scenario visualisation
    • contrasted against boxing drills
    • fluidity of movements as a single package stressed (forget some of the terms he used)
    • proper rolling, slipping ( note to self - speak with instructor regarding making up critical lessons on def footwork missed _
    • importance of proper threat visualisation, targeting
    • importance of shadowboxing under timed parametres
    • heavy focus on speed and quickness
    • Don't train to miss by punching "through target"
    • visualising being pressured, counters (note to self - need help on proper ranging)
    Group Shadowboxing drill (abbreviated)

After-which, a weird kind of boxing musical chairs ensued in which trainees jogged around the ring and mats and on signal by an instructor, students would quick-like into a proper stance and deliver 3, 4 and 5 combination shadow punches. Several go's at this, loss track of how many.

5 min intense skip rope intervals

As it war plain to see belltoller about dead after a couple of minutes, one of the instructors worked with me on improving basic front-back kick outs

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015