Hello

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Gunner, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Gunner

Gunner Valued Member

I'm new here. I'm a 1st kyu in Karate. Our school is a mix of kyokinshin and Shotokan Karate. Traditional kata with lots of weapon training. I took TKD and Kung Fu when I was young. When the kids went to college I decided to get back into it and joined the school closest to my house. The rest is a history of pain, sweat and agony. Actually, it's a lot of fun and I get to help other people progress.

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Welcome to MAP Gunner.

When you say traditional Kata, my understanding is that Shotokan and Kyokushin Kata are very different, so do you lean more towards one style, use a mixture of both, or something else all together?

Regards

Travess

3. Gunner

Gunner Valued Member

Our Grandmaster was trained by Hulon Willis, and he was trained by Mas Oyama. I don't know a lot about the difference of the styles, but our pinans are almost the same as described in the book "Karate Jutsu" by Gechin Funikosh. It's my understanding he was a Shotokan master. I think our training style is more Kyokinshin because we do a lot of physical conditioning.

4. Marku85

Marku85 Valued Member

Welcome Gunner

I look forward to hearing your opinions on the board

5. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Hi Gunner,

Welcome to MAP!

I have a background in both traditional Shotokan and Kyokushin and the kata are very different. Look on youtube to get examples. Heian Kata series is similar but after that I have trouble seeing comparisons. Do you practice Knockdown at your Dojo?

Osu!

Dan

6. Gunner

Gunner Valued Member

This is the only Karate dojo I've ever been to so I don't know the difference. Here is an excerpt from the school web site.

"Bushido Kai is basically a Kokushinkai style. However, due to legal reasons that are associated with the economics of the name, many here in America had to change the name of what they were teaching.

James Radcliff II was the head of Bekoku Bushido Kai, with its main school located in Colonial Heights, Virginia. Radcliff died of cancer in 1999. Upon his death, Johnnie Murphy became one of the most senior practicing students alive today. Johnnie was taught by Hulon Willis, who was taught by Mas Oyama, who was taught by Gechin Funikoshi and Chojin Yamagochi."

http://www.championsbushido.com/about-us-2/about-bushido-kai/

We practice sparring like they spar in Karate tournaments because many students and the instructors compete.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

welcome to map

8. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Ah ok. Was curious if they did Kyokushin knockdown i.e. full contact with no punches to the head or semi contact type sparring.

They might want to revise the spelling on their website through.. Should be Gichin Funakoshi.

Again welcome aboard.

Osu!

9. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Welcome to MAP!

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member