What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Where are my manners? I almost forgot that I finally started Season 4 of 'Vikings'. I'm pleased to say it is just as good as the previous series. On the surface it's a dragonless 'Game of Thrones', but for the initiated it's tremendous stuff. :D

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

How historically accurate is that series? Do you know?

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO6gQK5uA5M"]Leather biker gear in Vikings Season 1 - why? - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qcQ0GaJ0EU"]'Ring mail' and jerkins in Vikings Season 1 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwcsz8MuGug"]Knitted chainmail and weird plate armour in movies and TV (especially Vikings season 1) - YouTube[/ame]

4. Chimpcheng

As Ben has pointed out, lol, it's a bit in the realms of fantasy. Some of the situations are accurate, to a point. I. The first season they travelled up the River Tyne (the river that flows through the city I live in) and had themselves some "fun" with the monks at Lindisfarne. Having never studied Vikings in history, I had a quick Google, and sure enough some of this was accurate.

At its heart it strives for realism but it is fantasy, though not 'GoT' fantasy, it's good fun nonetheless and it did have me researching the history...

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Watched the second episode of AMC's preacher and I realized that the dude who gets his nose broken is the sane rational dude from Enter the Dojo!

6. Ben Gash CLF

I was wondering where I'd seen him. I kept thinking "is he Joshua Jackson's brother or something?"

7. Chimpcheng

Finally started on 'The Flash' after reaching another crossover episode in 'Arrow', so far it's pretty good even though it's very much like 'Smallville' with a new baddie each week who's been affected by the storm/kryptonite/event.

It also means I'll have to start on 'Supergirl', 'Vixen', and 'Legends of Tomorrow' soon as they're all spin offs of each other or some such.

In other news I've watched the second episode of 'Preacher' but I'm not sure I like the series so far...

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"Flash" gets better as it goes, I thought. Eventually it loses the "new baddie of the week" feel. The cliffhanger ending was good enough that I'll watch season 2 when Netflix gets it.

I'm still waiting for Netflix to get "Supergirl." Meanwhile, last night I tried the opening episode of "Voltron." I know, I know, a kids' cartoon at my age? :rolleyes: I don't know that I'll watch the whole season, because I'm really not the target audience, but as remakes go this one is pretty good. It has enough of the old cartoon to be familiar (e.g., the mice, and the paint jobs on the lions) but with the flash and new art format that modern youth expect.

Edit: I've watched half the Voltron episodes now. I guess it doesn't completely suck ;) but it's not going to be in my all-time-favorites list.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  9. Ben Gash CLF

Watching The Strange Calls on Netflix. If you remember the Australian kid's show Round the Twist, it's a bit like that for adults.

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Started the third series of Banshee. Nice.
    Finished Peaky Blinders - freaking loved it!
    Glad to hear a further 2 series are being made.
    Tom Hardy was a pleasant surprise!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Dude… Holy wow Game of Thrones raised the bar and depicted the most brutal combat scenes I've seen in a while.

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I heard on the Radio that it was a whopper episode.
    Can't wait to get home and watch it this evening.
    Airs like 2am here Monday morning. Shown again at 9pm

13. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I liked the part where The Kraken came out of the sea.

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Epic. Amazing battle scenes and a most satisfying end.

15. Chimpcheng

Just finished the latest season of 'Comic Book Men', I'm a huge fan of Kevin Smith and also of comic books so this show is right up my alley. Yes it's scripted and the people coming in wanting to sell rare items are clearly actors or else real people being fed lines, but it's all good fun. It's even had me reaching for the eBay to see if I could buy a copy of a particular issue being showcased. :D

16. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

It's less teen angsty than Smallville and more young adult angsty but yeah it has a similiar format to it. Unlike Arrow and Smallville before it Flash starts off with his team of helpers who know his secret.

Supergirl began on CBS and has a different feel to it to a degree. It still has a lot of angst and there is a bd guy of the week but with a big bad behind it all ala the later Smallville when Lex started to go bad but with writers, producers, directors and even the former leading lady from Ally Mcbeal I was expecting Ally McBeal in a cape. Fortunately it's only partly that with Ally playing the Ling part and Kara Danvers/Supergirl playing the Ally McBeal part but while it's definately an atempt to get more girls interested in the super hero comic genre it's got enough action and special effects to keep the guys watching.

Legends is a great show. A little more campy than Arrow but great cast and great action.

Yes the slow reveal of the big bad is awesome and a good twist on who it is.

I have to say I prefer seeing many villians a season to having 1 big bad for thew whole season. I liked early Arrow, Supernatural, Buffy etc better before they started having a big bad for the whole season. Although a 2 or 3 episode story ach would probably allow for better story telling than a new villian every week. In any case I like the way the big bad in both seasons of Flash uses others to give it a feel of doing it both ways

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  17. Ben Gash CLF

Started watching Into the Badlands. Certainly a bold opening.

18. Ben Gash CLF

Now watching Bosch, seriously good show.

19. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

L O V E me some Bosch, though waiting until March 2017, for season 3, absolutely sucks!

Travess

20. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I'm going through Jessica Jones but very slowly it has taken me a couple of weeks (maybe longer) to get to episode 9. For me it's lacking in areas where Daredevil wasn't. I find Kilgrave intriguing though.