Sparring and Taijutsu:

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by zenpokaiten, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

That is a very good assumption my friend.

By the way, the only reason we are snickering and sneering is because the thought of someone going to one of the "higher ups" and asking them to show a demonstration of "shaping space" would really be a great site. I dont think we are, well most of us at least, are trying to make fun of you or anything. I wish I could see it happen though.

-Ryan.

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

The reason people are acting like this is that we have had a spate of trolls here on the Ninjutsu side of MAP and frankly, you sound just like one of the more "Infamous" ones.
    Now, if you are not him, then fine. If you are, you will be outed and out.
    If you are sincere, there are many fine teachers in your area, including my own. A quick search on Google will lead you to the names. But you already knew that, didn't you?

3. Existence

Existence Super Saiyajin :o

sorry if i was unclear. i am relating shizen to sparring. thats what this thread is for right. :cool:.

most sport fighters share the same weakness in a real fight, and that weakness is rules. i dont think sparring would "ruin" our taijutsu if we remember to take sparring as "playfully serious" instead of just plain serious; as some other people see it. *cough* the trolls *cough*
    all sparring is is a form practice. nothing more.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  4. zenpokaiten

zenpokaiten Valued Member

Yes, that is why I posted it originally! However, the thread has been turned into a ( directions to a sparring/slaughter by means of a cane).

I agree, but I am just a mere 5th kyu via home study that trains with a low ranked 1st Dan from my TKD class two times a week. Therefore, I dont have the (deeper understandings) of this art like many of the individuals on this forum. Thus, I have no idea if sparring effects taijutsu development. Do I spar? Yes, I do. Do I always stay in shizen no kamae? No, I do not. I find it somewhat hard to do when my training partner dances around like Bruce Lee, and knows a bit about taisabaki. I just try to mix it up.

I agree with you there. We dont try to kill each other. We work on distance and timing for the most part.

5. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Or one of his geeky mates who go on constantly about trolling map!!! :bang:

6. okagesamade

okagesamade New Member

Thank you Siphus you set an example that should be followed by all. I will look into the Genbukan dojo here in Maryland.I assure you I most certainly am not a troll. I look forward to posting on this board as it seems to be a wealth of martial experience.

7. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Well if you're not a Troll then welcome but if you are it doesn't really matter as it'll become obvious sooner or latter ;)

Soooo why not checkin on the intro thread and let everyone know who you are.

8. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

Do you bother taking note of who is still standing at the end? If so, you are concentrating on winning.

And as you train, so shall you fight. People that say they would do something other than what they do in sparring with the rules and restricitons are just fooling themselves. Why bother doing something if you are going to do something else when it really matters?

9. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

like i said its not about winning. doesnt have to be anyway, it depends why you spar and what your definition of sparring is

rules ? what rules ?

10. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

Right, like you guys let weapons, real weapons, into this sport. Ditto for multiple opponents, etc.

As long as two people agree to get in the ring, there are rules. That is not what you see on the street.

11. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

Thank you for clarifying things. Taking your questions as sincere, then. . .

"If there is a technique that will make effective strikers look as clumsy and oafish as the man in that video then i want to learn."

Unfortunately there isn't. Manipulation of space (or in Japanese, kukan) is not a "technique" you can learn the way you can, say, a wrist lock. It's a far more comprehensive thing. Not every Bujinkan instructor "gets it" by any means, though I'd say the senior ones do; and I don't know whether it's dealt with much, or at all, by the "spinoff" organizations (Genbukan or Jinenkan). It is, however, part of everything Hatsumi sensei does.

For some discussion of the subject, I strongly recommend reading through the following thread -- which, you'll be thankful to know, is only 4 pages long. ;)

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31677&highlight=Kukan

12. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

i'm not talking about sport, i'm talking about sparring
    agreed fighting in a ring is not like fighting on the street,

13. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

Well here you go my friend: These are just a few a found at a glance

http://www.columbiabuyu.com/

http://www.capital-area-bujinkan.org/

http://www.howardcountybujinkan.com/

http://www.yume-dojo.org/index.php?ninpo=1

are any of these worth visiting Dale? ie: would the instructors be interested in such an endevear?

Please go soon...I'm bored at work. Need something to talk about with the other MA guys here in the office when at the water cooler and there just aren't enough clips on comegetyousome. Good luck, have fun.

"Understand? Good. Pray."

14. Dale Seago

Sorry, I don't know any of them well enough to be able to make a recommendation.

15. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Yume Dojo is no longer in Maryland, the teacher moved to West Virginia. He told me that the plan was to do monthly seminars (or something similiar) at the various Shibu and Dojo taken over and started by his students.

From the Capital Area list, I know Jeff Mueller, he was one of my teachers. I've met Victor Hare and Leonard Pollard, thru seminars and a mutual friend. Steven Schmidt, if it's the same Steve, then I know him too. However, if you are looking to experience what Dale was talking about, go with Victor, Leonard or if you are willing to drive to W. Va, Chris.

However, I doubt anyone of them are interested in that sort of "experiment".
    It's not who they are or what they do. If you are sincerely interested in learning taijutsu, then they can help.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  16. okagesamade

okagesamade New Member

Thank you . I have googled the subject and alot of the ones here in MD have moved . I am very much interested in taijutsu and i will not abandon my search easily.I look forward to contributing to this site.

I dont have taijutsu experience but i do have martial art experience and I routinely train with world class athletes in combat sports.Im not a MMA nuthugger by any means. I am merely enjoying the martial journey. I like to think of myself as openminded which is why i am here.Thank you for your courtesy.

17. bencole

bencole Valued Member

Incredulous

Okagesamade, I think people are giving you more credit than you deserve....

You can HONESTLY look me in the eye :eek: and say that when you wrote this:

Why dont you teach this poor student how to properly attack someone in a more realistic fashion?You said he has been training with you for some time now. Why havent you taught him how to throw a proper punch?

and this:

Why haven't you taught this young man not to attack when his space is being shaped? Please if you could direct me to someone on the east coast that would kindly shape my space. I have a desire to learn and feel this technique first hand. I will humbly post my video-taped encounter afterwards.

...that you were NOT being incredulous?

Honestly? :rolleyes:

If THAT was asking in a "most humble fashion" then you must be confusing social flatulence with humility.... I don't buy your "humble student" story, even if some others do. Sorry. Go troll somewhere else....

Otherwise, take your camera up to Jack Hoban's place: http://www.livingvalues.com/

After Jack does one technique, please interject and SAY THOSE EXACT PHRASES to Jack's face. I guarantee you that he won't consider those the utterances of a "humble student who just wants to learn." Sounds to me like someone with an attitude and something to prove. Jack will humbly shove that camera into your body cavity for you.

Nuff said.

-ben

18. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Gasp! No! It cannot be!

[​IMG]

Pictures of taijutsu students wearing gloves and headgear!

But but but...I thought taijutsu students were too scared to spar! [/sarcasm]

;)

Go here http://www.labudo.com/photogallery/index.html and click on "Advanced Classes" for more pictures of Bujinkan students beating the hell out of each other in sparring (weapons and unarmed) and grappling.

19. bencole

bencole Valued Member

I think it has been mentioned elsewhere that a handful of instructors, including Sean Askew and David Dow (of the linked site) incorporate "resistance training" and "sparring" into their teaching. Both are Judan+ and both may teach as they wish (just as any Shidoshi may). They are the VERY RARE exception in my experience.

-ben

20. Dale Seago

I recognize both the late Prof. Robert Humphrey, and Shidoshi Jim Kruse from the Stockton dojo, in that photo. What's being shown is training in a sort of modified boxing program called STRIKE -- it's not for either sport or self-defense per se; rather the specific purpose is simply to get people accustomed, safely, to both hitting and being hit.

The photo could have been taken on the East Coast, but I'm pretty sure it's from a weekend when we had both Jack Hoban and Humphrey teaching together in Stockton; it was in a school gym rather than the regular dojo location.