JKD - a MA only for the experienced?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Scaramouch, Jan 5, 2004.

1. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Wongs cert is not as readily available but I have seen it and I'm preet sure Simplicity has seen it. We frequent another forum which had it displayed at one time.

It was a Jeet Kune Do cert and 2nd rank. I "think" Ted has the most "documented" training hours under Bruce Lee.

2. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Wongs cert is not as readily available but I have seen it and I'm pretty sure that Simplicity has seen it too. We frequent another forum which had it displayed at one time.

It was a Jeet Kune Do cert and 2nd rank. I "think" Ted has the most "documented" training hours under Bruce Lee.

3. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

wong had most hrs of students for x amount of months,but still not more training hrs than dan in said months

4. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I can't remember exact number but it was something like 2200 hours.

5. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Hers Teds 2nd rank in Jeet Kune Do dated 1967 and signed by Bruce Lee.

Attached Files:

• TW.jpg
      TW.jpg
      File size:
      47.5 KB
      Views:
  6. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Heres Dans 3 certs. If someone can blow them up clearly I would like to know how far apart the dates are.

Attached Files:

• DAN.jpg
      DAN.jpg
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
  7. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I think a Jun Fan Gung Fu certificate may be worth more after all Bruce did give a Jeet Kune Do certificate to his movie producer Sterling Siliphant.

"Maybe" it is just a concept and Jun Fan is the art. :D

Maybe Sterling's "Jeet Kune Do" was movie producing. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  8. Len

Len Valued Member

Holy smoke! I was always told Bruce only handed out three certificates....1st rank to Taky, 2nd to James, and 3rd to Dan. I thought everyone outside of these three that ever got a certificate in JKD was through Dan. That threw cold water on my face! LOL

9. tel

taky was 4 or 5th level in jun fan
    james lee and dan inosanto 3rd level
    jkd dan inosanto 3rd highest

10. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Correct EXCEPT James 3rd rank was earned before Dan was even a member and Ted Wong, based on his certificate would be #2 in JKD.

Now I have an old article, an interview of Dan Inosanto's ( I beleive from the '80's) with a lineage chart which is scanned but is to large to upload. When I resized it, it wasn't readable. I need to crop just the chart (readable) and see if it will upload.

Any way, this is Dans chart and it lists Bruce Lee as the founder of THE SYSTEM. It lists the 3 branches of THE SYSTEM and the heads of the branches as follows.

Taky 1st under JKD, James Lee 1st under Jun Fan and Dan 1st under The Tao of Chinese Gung FU.

And we have to accept the "possibility" of other certificate out there. It is possible that some people just want to be left alone.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  11. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

Its interesting to read the controversy over the credentials of all who are regardless of those certs great martial artists :)

back to the orignal thread point, i don't think you have to be experience to learn Jun fan but to drop straight into a concepts perspective i think you do. When the original group got together with BL they were experienced martial artist who then started the refining process. too many with no experience try to take this and refine with no skill base. They then reject valid techniques and concepts as "not for them" purely becuase they lack timing, coordination, conditioning or all three. As the nucleus group develop along the jun fan route and the concepts develop along the jun fan with selected other bits there is a logical format to follow.

so,

to train in Jun Fan: no experience needed

to train under a JKD concepts instructor: no experience needed

to start trying to blaze you own trail from no background by attending one class of this and that: going to fail.

12. tel

hi akja.
    i know what table you are talking about. there was an error dan and taky where supposed to be the other way round. there names are in the wrong box

13. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

That would make more sense. Is this the same one. It goes like this.

The Complete
    Jeet Kune Do Family Tree

Lineage Provided by Dan Inosanto

Sigung
    Bruce Lee
    The Founder of the System​

Jeet Kune Do​
    Jun Fan Gung Fu​
    The Tao of Chinese Gung Fu​

Taky Kimura​
    James Lee​
    Dan Inosanto
    Ted Wong​

There were no boxes and implies that it is all one system and not 3 systems as Dan has been quoted as saying. And I guess, technically, that would make it "A SYSTEM." :D

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  14. tel

yeah thats the one. in one of dan's books.

15. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I find it hard to beleive than Dan allowed that mistake to be published in his book. Are you sure that Dan didn't change his mind later?? :D

16. tel

he didn't have control of the book. there was amistake made, not sure ho but there was. taky kimura didn't do jkd.he did jun fan. taly himself said that in an interview and only just done jkd with inosanto recently there where pics on inosanto's website

17. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

Since they borrow foot work technique from fencing , so if u have done fencing , u can move easily and also punching technique from western boxing , so u will have a good start when it come to punching technique . But most of the part , they are modification of wing chun .