Kung fu: just a series of principles?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Mr Punch, Mar 9, 2006.

?

Have you...? Well, have you...?!

1. Knocked someone down with a punch in practice?

78.0%
  2. Knocked someone out with a punch/kick in practice?

20.0%
  3. Choked someone out in practice?

36.0%
  4. Knocked someone down with a punch in the ring?

26.0%
  5. Knocked someone out with a punch/kick in the ring?

12.0%
  6. Choked someone out in the ring?

6.0%
  7. Knocked someone down with a punch/kick in the street?

56.0%
  8. Knocked someone out with a punch/kick in the street?

30.0%
  9. Choked someone out in street?

8.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MartialArtN00b

MartialArtN00b New Member

As I understand it, when it comes to bullshido, the beef is with the ninjas...

So I think Mr Punch doesnt have some supreme dark agenda about posting this thread.

2. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

I don't have a problem with the question posed as long as it's intent is simple curiosity, if it's a lead-in for another troll to cross post on another forum and take words out of context for their amusement, then close the thread and ban him now I say; I have no time or patience for that kind of stupidity and I don't appreciate it being brought here.

There are some good people over at Bullshido, unfortunately there is also a large crowd of morons with nothing better to do then snipe and disrupt other forums.

3. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

I'm here to wind down, after a hard day's work and training, to chat about things I enjoy doing, hopefully with people who enjoy a similar activity, hopefully to learn and hopefully to teach. I'm not about to bend over for a ****ing popularity contest when somebody takes a piece out of me for no reason.
    Like it or not, unless the mods deem it that I am doing something wrong, I'm one of your members too. If some geezer's got over 5000 posts does that make them quality? Check out what I've posted and see if I've got some agenda.
    I don't really either: try to follow the argument. I was responding to his accusation that I was some bullshido troll. Which I'm not.
    No, I didn't admit that and I'm not about to. Read my ****ing post again before you start trying to take a piece out of me! I didn't admit to to posting anything controversial to cause disruption, I said I posted a simple question, and Gangrel Childe, Yohan (to a lesser degree) and Dark Jester started going on about what would happen on the thread.

1) There is no disruption: they all agreed.
    2) There is no causal relationship. I posted (innocently), they jerked knees: not my fault.

And don't mistake me for caring why they are paranoid.

My reason for posting the question, in case you missed it the first two times:
    Did I say this before? It doesn't have a point or a deeper meaning. I'm just interested.

Just goes to show your mind is too rooted in high school. Try this, as an adult. I wasn't offering some kind of macho pee-pee measuring 'smackdown', I was joking.

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Yeah, for the record I don't think Mr punch is trolling. i think we have some other rampant trolls right now, but I don't think he's one of them.

5. Yohan

Just for the record - I'd like to point out my posts:

Honest inquiry:

I didn't get a response, so I continued with my response to the poll:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand this was totally off topic.

6. Mr Punch

Sorry Yohan, I was probably being a bit sensitive at this point. I couldn't answer cos I don't live here!

7. Mr Punch

BTW, the people who have choked somebody out in practise: why did you do it...?

Mistake? They were from Bullshido and needed it? Fun?

And to Alansmurf, how did you choke the guy 'in the street'? Did you feel you had good control?

To the people who have knocked someone down/out in practise, was it that you were going full contact or by mistake, how often do you go full contact, and what protection do you wear? (I appreciate this will most probably be going over old threads ground... this is only because I am a Bullshido ninja warrior here as part of my secret first phase of world domination through McForum tests, er, sorry, because I want to know. Please, whatever you do, don't answer this thread if you don't want to.)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  8. succubus

succubus so hot right now

haven't really had that much experience lately. and i've never been in a street fight, and dno't plan on getting into one, so haven't done that.

but at our school our instructors encourage us, once we've had a bit of practice and know what we're doing, to actually hit each other to teach the other person what happens if you don't block properly. and my brother and i both do kf, so we practice at home quite a bit. i finally managed to knock him over last night, but didn't hurt him at all. he's managed to knock me down quite a few times, cuz i'm littler than him. :p we don't actually *try* to hurt each other, but it happens sometimes. to me more than him. :D

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Actually their beef is pretty much with ALL TMA's, especially Kung Fu (and especially WC). So sayeth el jefe, Phrost, who has, on numerous occassions, dismissed CMA as "danicing around in silk pajamas". So yeah, anyone who claims to be from Bullshido and lists in their profile a background in "Wing Chun" and "Aikido", two of their most hated arts, and then comes over to the CMA forum to start up a poll on fighting is pretty much suspect in my book.

10. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Maybe so, but if he's contributing intelligent posts, it doesn't really matter. There's no harm in someone challenging your views if they've got something intelligent to say.

11. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

At my school full contact isn't a regular event, generally we wear MMA type gloves and a full head guard. It is an essential part of the grading process after a certain point to be able to demonstrate the application of wing chun in full contact, and also to be able to demonstrate "fighting spirit". There are a couple of full contact training days during the year and students approaching the appropriate gradings tend to practice a few weeks beforehand in class.

So is there a "punch line" to all of these questions?

12. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

FFS

Why is it so many posts end talking about 'how' and 'why' someone is posting on here. You find it interesting, great, if not, then go, its not rocket science!!!

Back to thread

I have hit and been hit, though not very hard in class numerous times. (Harder when we were wearing gloves.) I have been hit bloody hard when attending a kick boxers fighting class, a couple of times. (Though this was with 12-14 oz gloves, and the hits were mainly blatantly ego driven.)

I have hit someone so hard I broke my hand and to have a pin put in it through self defence. (Centreline punch, interception when bloke was trying to hit me with a piece of wood.)

<Cliche>Its the hard experiences, that we may take from the options in the poll above, that give us the confidence to be able NOT to fight rather than fight from feeling insecure about ourselves.<End cliche>

13. Mr Punch

Who claimed to be from Bullshido? YOU claim I'm 'from Bullshido': I don't even know how many times I've posted there... maybe 10/11. Which pretty much makes me 'from' here. I have a strong base in wing chun and aikido, which I'm not embarassed about and have also put in my profile on Bullshido.

Some of Bullshido do some good things, with the same signal to jerk ratio as any net forum, but frankly I don't hang out there and I signed up there to put an end to an aikido thread about my late shihan, and to comment on a thread about my ex-koryu aikijutsu teacher.

So are you ready to start actually reading some of the <no profanity, even masked, pleast - mod> you're posting about me? It's all in your head dude. This is the last time I justify myself on this board. And I still don't give a <no profanity, even masked, pleast - mod> how suspect I am in your book: your book is a fantasy.

Thank you for some common sense!

Nice cliche Rev. Although I think I learned most about any martial experience through getting kicked unconscious in the street, getting mugged with a chain, getting a knife pulled on me, and numerous other occasions when I've been the victim or separated other people fighting. I've never really laid a beatdown on anyone outside and don't really want to. The only time I've regretted my actions was the time with the guy with the knife, cos I really wish I'd taken his <no profanity, even masked, pleast - mod> head off.

Maybe I should start a poll about how many times you've had the <no profanity, even masked, pleast - mod>kicked out of you. Nah, Childe would start crying wolf again.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2006
  14. Yohan

We don't usually spar full contact, it's usually half contact with no protection, but every once in a while we put on some half headgear and MMA-type gloves and go at it. I've knocke people down in half contact more than full contact actually.

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I have put people asleep during practice, but it was all unintentional. It was mostly hot heads who dont tap and try to 'power' out of the moves.
    There was a time when I got in a tight triangle, the guy tapped but when I let go he was asleep, it took about 2 seconds.

Knocking down people in the street was more about getting those people away from me and my friends and getting the blue hell out of there. Thankfully the confrontations are during club nights where there are idiot boys needing to obtain their 'alpha' male status. So usually I get the person down, back up and let the giant bouncers have their fun.

KOing people in practice is always an accident. I'm known for at times holding back too much, but when the sparring partner leans into a punch lights are dimmed.
    (never fully KOd someone in practice, just extrememly woozy)

16. CCM

CCM Valued Member

I don't see any problem with this thread or the poll but it does seem a tad pointless - most kung fu practitioners don't compete in full contact mma competitions and know how to avoid getting into violent situatuations in "the street" - hardly a eureka moment

ccm

17. SimonM

SimonM New Member

I had the opportunity for a choke. I took it. Not my fault if he didn't want to tap. :p

18. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Couple points:

1. Language -- please. "****" posts make me sad as I have to edit (and I'm currently dealing with another fire.

2. On Bullshido -- most folks know that I'm a member there. And I've had discussions with Phrosts on his viewpoint. I tend to think he's somewhat out of step with his own population, but that's my view. They do a good job at some things. Tend to do a lousy job at others.

3. On Bullshido trolls -- it's more or less the Elephant in the room that we sorta mention but don't get to the specifics. We have at least one former MAP member who has made it his goal of the moment to troll MAP. He's most likely either Vindaloo or Dim Mak. Both tend to target the TKD forum (though Dim's been running here). Quite frankly we haven't been giving him all that much to go on (thanks guys for being so smart).

Unforuntantely, because of that, all of our (including my own) troll sensors are on high. And folks who just joined (and quite frankly list WC or Aikido as GC said) are all a bit suspect. Take for example what happened between myself and saIas. The difference with him and with Mr Punch here, is that once things got sorted out the conversations were fine.

BTW, if Dim Mak (who honestly is a weird sorta troll in that nothing he says really seems to be sticking and, beyond provactive questions, more of less is keeping under control) wants to straight out contribute, thats fine with me. As some might tell, I'm, in general, down with anyone who contributes openly and honestly (and within the given rule set).

Eitherway, that's a bit more background on why folks have been extra touchy as of late.

- Matt

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  19. Mr Punch

Apologies for the language.

Off this screen I don't swear so much according to the occasion and when I do I usually use it for comedic or dramatic effect. On the screen I try to do the same... didn't realise you have to put the stars in yourself, thought it was automatic.

Other than that, thank you for your opinion.

My last word is Gangrel Childe was wrong and that's that. [shrug][forgotten]

Nah, same here. Got what you'd call a TKO on more than a few people, including with a jab in boxing. Apprently I have a good jab, especially for catching people at just the right time. I put it down to the wing chun punch: I usually use my jab vertically or 45 at least, and aim for the forehead, not the nose, because it's easier and just as effective.

20. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

Hey folks, sorry for bumping an old thread. This popped up on a google search for some reason so I felt compelled to respond.

I, personally, don't have any issue with any of the true Traditional Martial Arts. Traditional Martial Artists used to beat the ever-living crap out of each other and train just as hard if not harder than a lot of "Mixed" Martial Artists do today.

It's the "pseudo-traditional" Martial Arts and Artists that I, and others, take exception to; the ones who have gone out of their way to try and make the Martial Arts about anything and everything except Fighting and have consequently caused an entire generation of people to grow up following this skewed form of thinking about the arts.

All of which was done in the name of making a fast buck off selling the ability to project an image of yourself as being a skilled fighter like the heroes of old, without ever having to subject yourself to the sweat, blood, and most importantly, risk associated with truly pursuing an activity that involves learning how to hurt or dominate other people.

My personal take on things, and no doubt a lot of you agree with me on this, is that only those willing to subject themselves to great risk in the pursuit of something, deserve any glory for being associated with that pursuit. Or in other words, if you're not willing to risk being punched in the face or even suffer a serious injury in the pursuit of being a Martial Artist, you shouldn't be trying to leech glory and respect off of those who are.

And following this, we give full credit to those from any art which recognizes the need for fully resisting, non-stop, full contact sparring. This includes a few Wing Chun schools, several Tai Chi schools, and others that unfortunately tend to be the exception, and not the rule.

It's generally bad to paint things with broad strokes, especially when you don't even know what the big picture really looks like.