Star Wars Revenge of the Sith WARNING spoilers.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Neil-o-Mac, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

I think they could have at least made something of this weakness in say episode 2, i mean if you hadn't told me there was no way i would have known that little fact.

2. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

I think the more important thing of the 'fighting on an inclince' and 'anakin trying
    to prove his old master wrong by jumping over him' is the trying to jump over him.

Obi-wan told him not to try - and so of couse Anakin HAD to try to do it. And the older wiser, more crafty fighter lured and tricked anakin into his demise. It'l like when ever you tell a rebellious/angry kid/teen/student "DON'T do this" whatever "this" is is the first thing they will try to do 99 times out of 100.

Sort of "Anakin you can't jump over me, i'll easily cut your legs off"

"oh yeah just you watch I can so jump over you unharmed you old jerk!"

jump

slice

Anakin legless

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Yeah I thought that the point of that bit was Obi-Wan was delibarately goading Anakin into making a mistake.

4. Florida Warlock

Florida Warlock Banned Banned

Oh, and this question always bothered me... why were the Jedi so BLIND. Except for Yoda and Mace Windu, no one foresaw the effects of Anakin being trained as a Jedi. Were they too stupid to realize that "balancing the force" would mean that either there would have to be a lot more Sith or one incredibly powerful Sith (two after the third movie), or that there would have to be a lot less Jedi.

Let's see, there're are two Sith at all times, Grevious not counted, and an army of Jedi. Balancing the force isn't going to make the Jedi side of the scale heavier.

That's why I didn't care that they were all slaughtered. :)

5. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

Fast forward to Return of the Jedi. Only Darth Vader was capable of destroying the emperor. Luke was utterly outclassed. It took a Sith lord to betray and kill the emperor, saving Luke and finally restoring balance to the Universe. So, Anakin did eventually fulfill his destiny. Only his very own son, Luke, could ever have turned Vader back to Anakin, if only long enough to destroy the emperor. It would seem that Anakin was an unwitting pawn of destiny from the very start.

6. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

I've learned not to to take the Star Wars story too seriously. It's full of holes, daft and half of it doesn't make any sense. Example; Obi Wan saying to Anakin in Ep III to "Surrender because I hold the high ground." Well to begin with it's only a few feet higher (hardly a massive tactical advantage) and since when has a few feet in height bothered a Jedi Master who can leap tens of feet in the air. Utterly illogical but then that's Star Wars and that's why we love it. :)

7. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

i have to ask if anakin/vader was so good,why did he find it so hard to keep his hand connected to his arm.he got it choped of in three of the films

8. TheSanSooStorm

TheSanSooStorm Valued Member

Technically, the Jedi had been in peace for so long that they became shallw e say too soft and couldn`t see the intanglements of the dark side. Also Yoda said "The dark side clouds everything..." And Yoda did forsee something bad. Go to everyones favorite Star Wars Movie Ep. 1 ;) Yoda said he sensed something bad about training Anakin.

Arm cut off in ep. II- Count Dookie uses Form Two which caters to just saber to saber fighting, so it was his specialty. Also Anakin was a Padawan.

Ep. III- We already talked about this, he made a stupid desition.

Ep. VI- Luke over powered him with the fear/anger of Darth Vader turning his sister Leia to the dark side. Luke could not kill the Emperor because thats 2 on one. He put his lightsaber away, opened himself up to the Emperor`s lightning.

9. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Actually... *puts on nerd cap* Anakin lost his right hand in II, his left hand in III, and his right hand again in VI. So technically, he doesn't lose the same one each time. ;)

lol

10. Jimmy Jitsu

Jimmy Jitsu Valued Member

Answer some star wars questions

I saw the Ep III tonight I thought in all a great film "fun". However I felt it was ropey in sections. Script and directing were poor but that is George Lucas who couldn't direct shag in a brothel. Some faults were how did Darth S. go unrecognised by any other jedi. I thought the jedi's were tracked down at the very young age and trained to be jedis. I would have thought yoda would have sussed out palatine was strong in the force. Anikan I felt was turned far too quickly to the dark side there should have shown more manipulation of Anikan by Palantine. Why was it such a surprise that Anitkan had got Padme up the duff. I mean was Padme dropping her knickers all the time in the senate. Also Padme is a queen yet she tells Anikan that they should go back to her home planet and decorate a childrens room. I really think that George Lucas should have let real SW fans right the script to tie up all the loose ends. Also more wookies!!!! That wookie battle was way to short.

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

the whole deal with palpatine going undetected was pretty ludicrous. I really fail to see how they couldnt figure it out.

in fact, there are several times during the first two when its evident that Yoda is suspicious.. you would think he would follow that up.

12. TheSanSooStorm

TheSanSooStorm Valued Member

You will notice that the movies can`t bridge everything, Palpatine manipulated Anakin alot, look at ep. 3. Another thing is I have heard mabye a million people say "he turned to the dark side too fast." He also turned to the light side fast. He went to protecting the Emperor and battling his son to saving his son and killing the Emperor in a few seconds. SOme could argue Darth Vader was slowly turning back, well the same goes for before, he was slowly turning to the Dark Side. So it is valid if you guys are saying that you would enjoy a more gradual turn to the dark side, but if you guys are saying its illogical, well...... not compared to the consistencies of star wars.

13. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

I don't agree Vader turned to the light side in an instant... I thik there had always been some goodness in, as Luke senses and says to him. All through the film you see a man with doubts about what he his doing... never has emotion through a helmet been conveyed so well.

It was a man who had finally been pushed to breaking by the imminent death and torture of his son, and the clear admissal of his emperor that he wanted Luke to take Vaders place by his side. Not much of a bonus incentive eh? :D

His turn towards the light side in ROTJ was a lot more natural than his turn towards the dark in Ep III IMHO. :)

14. Florida Warlock

Yes, but destroying the Emperor wasn't balancing the force... Because then, the only trained Jedi was Luke, so everyone was good. That's not balanced, remember the Yin and Yang. Vader was good, because his silhouette was standing by Obi Wan and Yoda at the end of ROTJ. And, he had a Jedi funeral if I remember correctly? It's been awhile since I last saw the 6th.

The only time the force was balanced was when it was Yoda and Obi Wan against Vader and Sidious. And that's still a shaky scale. The films are flawed! :eek:

And, seeing as the Jedi are modeled after Shaolin Monks, Lucas should not have overlooked this.

Am I wrong here?

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  15. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

One point to make is that whatevere else you can say about it ROTS has managed to bring out the star wars geek in people, something the original didnt manage.

16. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Good point Slindsay and on that note...

By restoring balance to the force I don't think it was meant to be that the dark side equals the light. The Sith as I understand it are what cause the imbalance by manipulating the force for their own ends whereas the Jedi live in harmony with the force thus by ending the reign of the Sith balance is restored. Or at least thats how I understand it.

17. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

I can certainly see your point, but I disagree with your concept of "balance." In this world, I equate balance with harmony. When things are in balance, there is peace. The forces of good and evil are essentially neutralized because there is nothing for them to do. There will still be conflict, of course, but it is all just part of the cycle of life. In a natural, balanced state, life progresses and evolves.

Coming back to Star Wars, at the end of Episode III the balance has tipped heavily to the dark side. The emperor is running the show and a period of brutal dictatorship has begun. Prior to this, the Jedi council was basically running things, which was also out of balance (imagine if the Shaolin Monks had ruled China). The only way true balance could be returned was to get rid of both the Jedi council and the emperor. Anakin did both of these things, thus fulfilling his destiny to the letter. True balance was finally restored.

18. Florida Warlock

That works. :)

19. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

OK, I saw the movie with my son, so that makes a total of three times.

SPOILERS ALL OVER THE PLACE

1. About young Anakin turning to the dark side too quickly: after watching the movie the third time, I decided he didn't turn to the dark side seconds after cutting off Mace's hand. He made his final decision to turn to the dark side back in the Council Chambers, when he decided that his highest goal was to save Padme's life at any cost. He abandoned all his other principles, and decided that he would do whatever it took to save her life.

2. About Obi-wan winning the duel by 'taking the high ground': This still seems a little abrupt to me: ten minutes of dueling, one leap onto a rock, then an announcement: "Ha! I've won!" However, I don't think it was a taunt to get Anakin to jump over him so he could slice him in half. He truly loved the young man. Anakin was his best friend and younger brother. He hoped Anakin would decide to turn back and face the consequences of what he had done. Anakin, instead, just tried the same "Hail Mary" attempt to beat Obi-Wan that Obi had used on Darth Maul in Ep. I.

3. About the whole "balance of the force" issue: In Daoism, 'good' and 'evil' are never held as opposites to be balanced, and are never equated with yin and yang (unlike opposites like hot/cold, light/dark, hard/soft, etc.). 'Balance' would never be achieved by having an equal amount of good and bad, but by truth, right, justice winning over their opposites. Having one head Sith/one apprentice Sith and one head Jedi/one lesser Jedi was more an economy of characters and script-writing than any kind of balance :D

20. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

See it yesterday, I did.

Most enjoyable, it was.

:D