Tabi....

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kalifallen, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

I know the hooked or authentic Japanese style are the best. Basically because the workmanship is so good. So, does anyone know where I can find a pair that doesn't cost me $50?

Plus, I know the velcro ones and the hooked ones. But what are the zip-lok ones? On www.martialartssupermarket.com in the ninja gear section under ninja tabi hi-top version. They sell it in a zip-lok version. I e-mailed the company hoping they'll reply, but if they don't. Does anyone have any idea on what they are?

2. Kalifallen

Just got an e-mail back. Zip-lok is velcro.

3. ninposam

ninposam hojo man

Lol :d

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Valued Member

Tabi are worn by Japanese construction workers and painters daily... You can pick up a pair in nearly every Japanese DIY store, home store, or D2 (like a K-Mart of sorts) for around $35 US.

Of course the plane ticket to get you to Japan could run upwards of $1000, so that might be something to factor in... :D

5. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Import!!!

6. Kalifallen

Ok, I think my post is going over some people's heads. I know you can buy them in the states but where? I've seen them on Japanese sites and on ninjutsu.com. But does anyone know of a site that is American that sells tabi that ninjutsu.com sells that aren't $50.

7. Krum

Krum The Walking Bruise

I've just recieved a pair of jikatabi from www.cooleastmarket.com which i had shipped over to the uk. They use the metal "kohase" fastening system which is far superior to velcro. Good tabi are not available over here which is why i had to order from the u.s. They are great quality and they were really cheap. Also, www.ipponsupplies.com do a nice range of tabi and they are also fairly cheap. Both sites are in the usa.

8. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

9. Kalifallen

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  10. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

cool. i never saw lace up ones before.. they kinda look like doc martians but in canvase :D

i just think the flowers would go nicely with my gi :D :D

11. Kalifallen

Hm, very California '60s those flowery tabi.

I just checked out the cooleastmarket page. Oh my...., they showed a pair of Martin Margiela tabi on the FAQ page, http://www.cooleastmarket.com/store/FAQ.html. They're all black & white paint platter looking. Oh my, I SO want those.

Plus, the tabi are so cheap. Wish they had more pictures cause I'd like to see the color of the blue tabi. Still, they look like good tabi, or at least good for the price :D

12. Kalifallen

Question on sizes - should you get a size that you take in your shoe size? Or should you get a size that is exacally the same size as your foot?

I was thinking getting a size a half an inch bigger for my foot so it won't scrunch my toes when I walk.

13. Krum

Krum The Walking Bruise

I recommend you get a piece of paper and outline your foot, then measure from the tip of your big toe to the back of your heel in centimetres. My measurement came to just under 25cm so i rounded it up to 25 and they fit me perfectly. When i checked my uk size (8) against the japanese conversion it said my foot size would be 27+ cm so they would'nt have fit. I've heard it is hard to convert american and european shoe sizes to japanese properly so i would only use the foot outline method.

14. Kalifallen

Hm, thanks. I just thought if you do it that way it might be too tight and no one would want that.

15. Krum

Krum The Walking Bruise

Mine fit perfectly and there is still a bit of room in them. Like i said, my foot measurement was under 25 so i rounded it up to 25, if you are just over 25 round it up to 26. I understand your concern but i had no problems by using this method. If they end up being too loose ( which they should'nt ) then just wear 2 pairs of tabi socks.

16. Kalifallen

I got the size thing down, yeah. Lucky for me cooleastmarket has sizes 25, 25.5, 26.... I'm a little bigger than 25 but think 26 might be too big so 25.5 should be perfect.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say.
    How long is 5 tabs, 7 tabs, 10 tabs, 12 tabs, etc?
    I know 4-5 tabs are ankle length, 7 tabs is about mid-calf, 10 tabs and up is calf length. But I'd like to get a more accurate length. Like is 7 tabs 7 inches long?
    I'd really like to know how long 10 and 12 tabs tabi are? Either in centimeters or inches.

Thanks

P.S. the IpponSupplies tabi are amazing but the price. Sure $50 is worth it but only if you use it practically every day. For now it may not be the best choice. I want blue and black and I don't really want to be shelling out $100 for both. It is amazing how expensive cloth boots/shoes can be.

17. Miran

Miran Valued Member

Brand-tabi???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've just reminded me of something I intend to ask you guys for a long time!...
    Two years ago,while I was on my holiday in Montenegro I saw some guys who worked at banji-crane wearing some wierd tabi...I mean though I'm basically a traditionalist I liked its cool design! :D I think it was "Nike" or "Puma" I think...
    Does anyone know what the hell is this all about?! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

18. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Yeah, Nike had a running shoe out based on the tabi design. Been trying to find a pair, but they're a wee bit on the pricey side.

Just ordered some indoor tabi from House of Rice. Inexpensive compared to everyone else. I'll let you know about quality when I get them.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  19. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

We have just ordered some from nine circles they are about £17 so not a bad price for england.

20. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Nike do two ranges, one is like a sandal with a strap and a cheaper one which is a slip on, an australian firm "royal elastiics" did one as well.