Introduction thread 2010

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by JibranK, Jun 27, 2010.

1. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Well hello MAP buyu,

I recall we had an introduction thread here once upon a time, but it was back in the ancient days. I've taken the liberty of making one for the new visitors here, some of whom have made quite a splash.

2. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

This could also be a good place for folks to outline their training background -- whether it's in one of the "X-kans", an indie org, completely unrelated arts, whatever. Could give readers more insight into a poster's perspective on things right from the get-go.

3. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

I'll go ahead and start, if no one else hits "submit" before I finish typing.

I'm in the Bujinkan, now in non-promotable status because I'm maxed out on rank at uber-megadan nosebleed level. Began training in late '83; my first instructor was then a brand-new shodan, a Marine captain named Jack Hoban who is still a valued friend & sempai today.

I "grew up" with the Stockton, CA dojo, the only one in existence in NorCal when I started. For the first few years until Jack went back to New Jersey I trained 2 nights a week in Stockton plus one weekend a month when we'd bring Jack up from San Diego for a seminar. We had a Tai Kai with Hatsumi sensei in Marin County in '86, which 9 Japanese shihan attended; after that a lot of us began going to Japan on our own and someone was just about always "just getting back" with stuff to share, a pattern which continues today.

My own first trip to Japan was in January '87, and I returned from my most recent one two weeks ago today. I normally go over twice a year; and when I'm there I still throw on a gi, grab a partner, and train rather than standing around "assisting".

Not sure off the top of my head how many of my students have reached godan altogether; but there have been five in the last calendar year, the most recent a couple of weeks ago. Three of my students have reached 10th dan. One, Mike Simien, trained with me from white belt to 10th dan before moving to Brazil; he reached 15th dan last year.

I'm still very much a student myself, and don't run a commercial dojo operation: I have a real job as Director of Security for. . .let's just say an organization with some legitimate threat concerns including terrorism. Similarly, I don't have a "string" of dojo under my direction and only take responsibility for my own in San Francisco.

I also am the doting "dad" of a 16-year-old African Grey Parrot who's been with me since she was 3 months old. I like long walks in the hills (though they tend to be shorter lately), kilts, and Scottish dirks and broadswords.

Oh, and whisky.

Okay, that's pretty much me. Who's next?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  4. garth

garth Valued Member

Jibran K posted

Jibran, I dont always agree with you, but this is an excellent subject for a thread. Too often again and again we get criticism (Especially me) from people who are not willing to identify who they are, what grades they hold, who they train with or how long they have been training.

Now of course thats their decision, (And MAP does not require them to give such details) and maybe they have good reasons for doing that. But to me it does seem a little one sided when those same people who want the details of someone elses training and proof of that training refuse to give any details of their own or indeed their identity.

Sometimes of course some people will say they cant give their training background because of the job they do, and I can see that if they work for the secret service, in a role that would compromise their work, but I can think of few other roles that would do that.

Unless of course your scared of getting caught by the boss who wants you working rather than being on a internet forum LOL

But if Dale Seago who works as a director of a security company that deals with terrorism can post his details on this forum, then personally I feel theres not much of an excuse not to post your own. But maybe thats just me.

Personally I have nothing to hide and have always been upfront about my name, age , training history etc, sometimes to my detriment.

To Dale Seago, I say thanks for posting your details of your training. Its refreshing to hear from someone who is so honest. Thats not saying others arent of course, but it is nice to know the training history of someone we may be talking to here on MAP.

Now for myself, my training background has been explained, but due to me moving away from what some here would class as Ninjutsu/Takamatsuden i'm going to step back a while. I dont think its fair to be posting on a forum when I am not doing Ninjutsu but instead running my own style.

I will hopefully still attend seminars, in fact I would love to get up to Normans next weekend, and i'm going to get down to Stephen Ks sometime in the future if the invite is still open.

I've met some good people in the Bujinkan, the latter two are a couple of the best, and although some may think I have some kind of vendetta against the Bujinkan it's nothing compared to what we see on this forum, or elsewhere (I'll leave you to work the last out).

But anyway as I say i'm going to take a back seat as I move forward on my own path, and to be honest away from the secret brotherhood of the Bujinkan Inquistion that has appeared here lately.

Yes yes I know I have resigned a few times in the past only to come back. But this is not a resignation, its simply time not to get involved anymore. Sure i'll still post here just not on this forum.

And as I say I think its unfair to post on this forum when I am not really part of what people here would classify as ninjutsu anymore. No more than say a MMA guy coming on here and asking "Why dont people in Ninjutsu spar?"

Anyway good luck everyone with your training.

Garth

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Looking upon the many counts of "views" or "viewers", verses actual "replies"; perhaps the consensus is that most do not desire to share details of their training in the open. Martial artists often tend to belittle other martial arts in order to project theirs as better or to prove their opinion matters the most. Long ago, I was on another forum using my real name and posting my real background. I was insulted in many ways and held accountable to my training as though either I had no say so in any decent exchange, etc. In other words, it was where, who, what rank, and their age, etc., that people had seem to dictate on what anyone had anything to say of worth or not. It should not matter of certain criteria if such member is posting within the guidelines of the forum and especially if they are posting with good composition. This thread may have admirable intentions, however the anonymity of the forum, allows someone to post with confidence that they would not be personally attack per against the forum policy, or outside of it per cyberspace.

6. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

I bet $10. You post within a month Garth lol, good luck

7. Manga

Manga Moved On

Garth's left MAP so many times and returned within days that I think Saz actually installed a revolving door. It also stops him slamming the door on his way out as he does, usually about twice a week :hat:

8. newblack

newblack エピクフェイル

I have been in the Bujinkan for about 7 years, I think, about 1 and a bit of them in Japan. I was lucky to get a job that at times allowed me to train up to 11 times a week. I've trained with most of the teachers in the Tokyo region, but when I am there these days I mostly train with 3 of the bigdads and the Boss. When time allows I'll train with some of the local gaijin, and Lubos or Norm if they're in town, but not many others. At this stage in my training I don't train with people that consider Kacem the 2nd coming, but I have enjoyed his translation and congratulated him at this recent grading.

The Japanese man that influences me the most seems to be ignored by most of the Bujinkan, which I can't understand but appreciate that it allows more one on one for me. Nothing that I have ever seen in Hombu suggests that Hatsumi doesn't respect him, though I can't say the same for some of the Japanese teachers and many of the gaijin that drift through the dojo.

My advice, learn Japanese and something about the culture, it can't but help if you recognise when the Boss obviously doesn't think that you're backing the right horse.

And always tip your bartender.

It might be me.

9. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

So is it better to bet on one strong horse which has had a good record in the past, the new horse which has never run before but is hyped to be the next big thing, bet a little on each horse and maybe break even, or not bet on any horses and just watch the race in the stands?

10. newblack

newblack エピクフェイル

Work it out for yourself.

Just like everything else in life.

11. Ace of Clubs

Good answer.

Which one did you choose?

12. kikentai

kikentai Valued Member

I'll give mine about 20 years in the Bujinkan, so far almost five years in Japan, I also train in other arts. The two schools are famous for jojutsu and kenjutsu, but not limited to those respectively. (I'll keep those names under my hat for now) I also do kendo. I have done them them all for about two years or so now.

I have gone to other kinds of seminars and the like as well through out Japan ( mostly in Tokyo).

There I'm done, how about the thread starter and posters. How about you ACE?

13. Ace of Clubs

Ask me face to face, seeing that we live in the same city. :cool:

14. kikentai

kikentai Valued Member

I don't live in Tokyo. I have gone to seminars in Tokyo.

So how about it ACE!

Let's hear your experience.

15. onigumo

onigumo New Member

Introduction

Hi all. I'm Brian Church.

Most of my MA experience has been in the Bujinkan, studying under Dale Seago in the San Francisco dojo for several years (2001 - 2007 (I think)) before moving to the Puget Sound area (Kitsap County) in Washington State.

I visit the SF dojo every few months as well as dropping in on seminars within 3 hour drive radius when time and money allow. Meanwhile, I'm looking for others in my local area (Poulsbo, WA to be exact) to train with on a more regular basis. I've met up with a few folks in the Seattle area but due work, family and ferry schedules I'm unable to make frequent appearances.

I don't have a dangerous job unless you consider repetitive stress injuries to be a walk on the wild side. I look (and often feel) at least 12 years younger than I am which I suppose has helped me avoid any unfortunate brushes with real violence.

Let's see... oh, my favorite color is usually dark blue.

Cheers,

Brian Church

16. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Kasukabe is not terribly far from Tokyo.

17. kikentai

kikentai Valued Member

Neither is Omiya, Kashiwa, and many other cities all roads lead to Tokyo.

18. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

I know. I'm a Saitama resident now, myself. All roads go through Akabane, then Tokyo...

19. newblack

newblack エピクフェイル

Or Minami Koshigaya...

20. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I dont think much of Japan, per each location, is far from any of its metro or geographical points.