Interesting interview with Morihei Ueshiba sensei

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by slipthejab, Jun 1, 2010.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I found this massively interesting. In regards to the his connection with Sokaku Takeda from Daito ryu... this was the first time I'd ever heard him or anyone explain the connection as such (thus the emphasis is mine). I also find it fascinating as it sheds a lot of light on the way of O Sensei's thinking and several incidents. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

source:
    http://www.aikidofaq.com/interviews.html

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Great article a real treasure! I find O Senseis thoughts on Martial Arts and his his thoughts on building a heaven on earth fascinating.While there are a lot of stories about O Sensei and his physical prowess going around even if only 10% were /are true he must have been a very unique man.I find his philosophical views extremely interesting.Yhe Frencman he mentions but does not name of course is the late Andre Nocquet Sensei.
    On a personal note I was in Hilo [in Hawaii] last November.While there just before I left the island I spotted the dojo Aikido of Hilo.Unfortunately I never got the oppotunity to enter the Dojo.It would have been nice to set foot in any dojo which might have had a possible lineage to Tohei Sensei.

3. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

well he sure isnt shy about himself

"Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfful to seek other than itself." -
    -- Khalil Gibran

4. slipthejab

Well why would he be shy?
    It's an interview... the whole point would be to answer questions about ones self and work. He's was obviously very passionate about his life's work which was Aikdio in both it's physical and spiritual/philosophical dimensions.

I'm curious what you think you're implying by quoting Khalil Gibran in this context. Are you putting it out there that O Sensei was boastful or too proud?

If not please enlighten me.

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

On his death bed O Sensei stated that he was"only a beginner".

A few statements from Chiba shihan.

Aikido is the CONFRONTATION of two spirits.

I shall take you to places from which there is no escape. (talking about hard training)

While like most senseible men I agree that peace is better than conflict the danger for aikido is that the philosophy is used by MANY to conceal ineffective technique.

I showed this photo to Chiba shihan and Tamura shihan.They both laughed and said when they saw that expression they "cryed like babies."

Attached Files:

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Really great read, very interesting stuff.

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Well, let's put it this way. If you're going to truly reflect the Universe in your martial art.. You're going to not only reflect the order, the harmony, the birds and the flowers. You best be able to reflect the chaos, ferocity, indifference and sheer destructiveness of it too.

I'll bet O' Sensei understood that as well as anyone.

8. koyo

It is the peace and love bit that brings many timid spirits to aikido.

There was one seminar when I was not given any instruction. Simply taken and beasted for the full two days. Left at the side of the matsemi-conscious until I was "fit" enough to continue.

I had been told this session would be to build my fighting spirit. Two whole groups LEFT during that seminar even though they had not received anything like hard treatment.

Often I was told when necessary do not avoid conflict transcend it by striking directly through the opponent's intention to attack.

Hey Slip

Regarding O Sensei's relationship with Sokaku Takeda..many "historians" attempt to suggest he had little training under Takeda sensei which is nonsense he had around fifteen years.

Also Mr Stevens in his books is terribly insulting about Takeda sensei calling him a liitle tyrant and a arrogant little scrapper etc. THIS in itself shows utter lack of respect for the art. PLUS I have met martial artists from most of the japanese arts including Daito Ryu they are no less compassionate and respectfull of life than any others.

9. arctos725

arctos725 Valued Member

After practice AIKIDO for more than three years, I do feel that it is a liitle more difficult for me to lose my temper and a little more confident to deal with hapenings in daily life. Maybe it is the peaceful side of aikido or aikidoka. Maybe I am wrong, I try to know more.

10. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

All these beautiful stories over how strong his KI is and how many fights he won (although akido doesn't thinks it as winning). yes he says it in a very humble way but it is not unknown that great martial artist make up most of there own reputation and believe it them self.

great masters only fly in the eyes of there one students.

11. koyo

You are wrong there I have great respect for "great" masters of many arts.

My respect for aikido was gained under MANY masters of the art.

As has my dislike of the great number of aiki bunnies.

12. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

dont get me wrong i'm not attacking aikido as a martial art.
    i'm just saying that O Sensei has bold claims.
    in many martial arts there are great stories about its creations, many so are romanticize. and every martial art needs a Hero.

13. slipthejab

Again your tone is still pretty much accusatory in nature yet you haven't put forth what you think is fake or made up.

Is there anything in particular you dispute which he's put forth? If so put it out there because you're beating around the bush with vague generalities.

I'm curious which great martial artists you figure have made up their reputations? I can list a great number of them that have talked the talk and walked the walk. It's not really such an outlandish concept.

Put something on the plate.

14. koyo

There is a thread encouters with Morihei Ueshiba where we are speaking of the outlandish and utterly ridiculous claims relating to Ueshiba usually exounded by modern western "teachers". MOST of these have been refuted by his family and other masters of the art.

PLUS you have made me realise that instead of being angry at the thoght of aikido bashing. It is not the bashers I should be angry at it should be the aiki bunnies that cause such a deserved reaction.

regards koyo

15. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

well as my understanding of this interview, he speaks with pride when he says things like:

I was? As I remember. . . Deguchi Sensei went to Mongolia in 1924 in order to accomplish His goal of a Greater Asian community in line with the national policy. I accompanied HIM on His request eventhough I was asked to enter the Army. We Traveled in Mongolia and Manchuria. While in the Latter country, we Encountered a group of mounted bandits and heavy shooting broke out. I Returned Their fire with a Mauser and then proceeded to run Into the midst of the bandits, attacking fiercely Them, and They dispersed. I succeeded in escaping danger.

They started to strike at me with wooden swords and wooden rifles. But since I was accustomed to That sort of thing I did not mind at all. They Tried to Axle strike me I spun my body this way and That Way and They Fell Easily As I nudged. FINALLY, They All Became exhausted.

While scratching His head he related to me the following: "I'm very sorry for That incident. That Day We Were talking about whether or not the new Professor of Aikido was really strong. A group of us, hot-blooded military police types , Were Discussing the matter and Decided to test the new teacher. About 30 people lay in wait. We Were Completely Amazed That we have 30 self-confident people Could Do Nothing Against your strength. "

and especially this

"I Do not have strength like yours, but I Can Fell people like you with my little finger alone."

This is quite aggressive and arrogant behavior for someone who preaches peace

if he would not preach world peace it would not seem strange behavior to me
    but he doesn't practiced what he preaches

but again I do not know him personally I am just assuming this from the interview
    so perhaps I'm just talking ********.

16. vyrrch

vyrrch New Member

ritsart to me aikido's version of peace has always been quick and efficient conflict resolution,whether that be slamming someone into the ground,evading an attack and getting the hell out of a bad situation or being percieved as having the confidence/body language that it would be a bad idea to be attacked in the first place.
    i wouldn't say it was overly aggressive or arrogant just the words of someone who was confident in their ability

17. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

that may be true but there is a difference between self-confidence and saying that you can handle someone with just two fingers.I find that very brave to just say, I can easily beat you. You should never need to provoke a fight especially a martial art like aikido.

18. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

I mean look at it from another perspective, I understand that you all are proud of your martial art (You Should Be). but saying I can beat you with two fingers and I can carry six people on my arm (which I find highly unlikely)
    and then broadcasting that you're not aggressive, any idiot knows that's asking for a fight. you can be pre-emptive in a fight but you also can be pre-emptive in your speech.

19. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Provoking a fight

If O Sensei did indeed make these statements in my opinion he was not provoking a fight.If anything he was doing the opposite.By letting the would be opponent know beforehand that in Osenseis mind the potential fight would be a foregone conclusion [thus saving the other guy from pain/possible loss of self esteem] was actually a doing the guy a favour.Is it not better to warn someone that if they want fight they will be beaten?I think O Senseis stance was good from the morality point of view [in keeping with non violent principles].

20. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

probably yes, but do you really think the man that he talks to takes it as a friendly warning? would he not take it as an insult?...I mean that's not really the martial arts spirit (well most of them anyway) to walk away from a challenge. and wy doesn't O'sensei comprehend this i mean him being all knowing and all.