Cartoons and Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by x1000, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Actually the first ninja ep was probbaly '93. The second ninja ep was part of the second season (if memory serves) so either '93/'94. The show got rerun for years. Overall one of the (if not the) finest American cartoon of the decade.

As for the kotegaeshi, yeah, again there was no question about what was thrown. It was a great moment and all of the martial artists in the room were in stickes when we saw it.

- Matt

2. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Plus the animators of the Cowboy Beabop movie are aikido black belts so no doubt MA concept is influenced in their choreography.

3. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

Cartoons fighting, eh? I just watched two episodes of Street Fighter. it was pretty cool but showed the same thing twice and had a lot of commercials and intros. I saw on Fairly Odd Parents that Timmy wished to be a Kung Fu master. He did, but his style was not Kung Fu. He said something about "Karate" later on, then he hit people and the hits spelled out "tae" "kwon" "doh". No capitals, which didn't bother me, but then they put "doh". I will never watch it again. Also, they used three different arts and thought of it as the same thing. Street Fighters is a cool cartoon that fights, hence "fighters".

4. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

i watch alot of anime and also train.. think i'm old enough to understand that DBZ isn't real (possiblly the dragonballs that give it away) and that not everything i see on tv is really MA it's ment to look good.. it does.. that keeps me happy while i sit on my ass :D then geting taught to do real stuff keeps me happy in the dojo..

5. Happeh

Happeh Banned Banned

Don't let these guys get you down dragon. Most of them are old and cynical. That closes their minds down to possibilites. As a kid, your mind is still open.

Dragonball Z includes a secret of kung fu. I don't know if the fighting is based on real styles or not. I do know that right there on the screen in front of everyone is a secret of kung fu.

And that stuff about chi balls? Don't beleive them about that either. They do not know everything. Just because someone is forceful and overbearing does not mean they are right.

6. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

I believe the Dragonball series goes a step further beyond our standard concept of a martial arts style. By introducing such aspects like external ki manipulation, ultra-fast movement, teleportation etc, an entirely new form of martial art is created, albeit exclusive to the series. It's rather paradoxical in a way; it has to be learnt, in the traditional context of a martial art, but yet it progressively becomes such a basic part of near everyone's repetoire. Just look at the episodes where Gohan teaches Videl to fly, and you may see what I mean.

7. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

*points to previous posts in referecne to Cowboy Bebop*
    Yeah, you can tell these guys know what they're talking about. I believe it was Session 6, Waltz for Venus, when Spike was trying to explain how he fights. Spike talks like a sensei! You can tell these writers and animators have trained before.
    As for other cartoons that feature particular fighting styles, they are few and far between. Out of curiousity, does Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles count? *hides behind flame-retardant wall*
    If you're focused on anime, you need to find ones that focus on the fighting, and without the 'magic'. I reccomend Rurouni Kenshin for a good display of kendo and iaido. (NOT Samurai X! That is the namby pamby american edited version, and it leaves too much out.)

8. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

Dragon Ball Z is just a fun cartoon to watch about MA. It's not anything to take pointers off of, but some of it can be used in kind of a real life situation, but not much.

9. dragon_bunny

10. x1000

x1000 New Member

Did i say i wanted to learn off it...... no. Im just curious

11. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

I think you're thinking of the literal cartoons. I've seen a few good combos on animation.

12. Happeh

Happeh Banned Banned

If you are 21 and your mind is still open you are a lucky man.

I wasn't kidding about Dragonball Z guys. There really is a secret of kung fu in it. Depending on what you call a secret anyways. If you know, then it isn't a secret right?

Actually there are 2 of them I can think of right now. Instead of calling them secrets, how about if I call them.......signs of advanced martial arts?

The characters in Dragonball Z show the signs of advanced martial artists in 2 different ways I can think of offhand. Signs that a real human being who has progressed far in martial arts will show.

Does that make the idea easier to accept?

The word secret? People always hate that word. They always wanna make fun of it.

13. dragon_bunny

14. clumsybob

clumsybob New Member

For me Dragonball was much better than DBZ. I enjoyed watching Goku learn his skills rather than get his **** kicked then come back even more powerful.
    Although not a true MA program it is as damn close as you get on tv.

15. x1000

x1000 New Member

I agree with you there and i did perfere DB to DBZ and seeing him progress :)

16. Happeh

Happeh Banned Banned

Hey. My wife of 20 years just told me she could care less. And you know what sucks about being a martial artist? You can tell when people are lying or not. She ain't lying.

So to make myself feel good, I am going to be good to someone else.

Look at this picture

[​IMG]

I told ya that Dragonball Z has kung fu secrets in it. I have been around long enough to know that when no one says anything? Like there is no reply to my statement. Or when people ignore ya, like the messages after my statement? That means people think you are nuts.

What can you do? People got no clue, yet they got no problem telling you you are wrong. If you protest you are not nuts, then people think you are really nuts. It is a no win situation. You just gotta take it.

In that picture above are 2 of the secrets in Dragonball Z. I will not explain them to you. I will point them out only.

If you understand why the feet look the way they do, then you know something about martial arts. If you understand why the man is drawn with the armor on his shoulder, chest and legs, then you know something about martial arts.

Those two phenomenon are things that happen to real life people that do martial arts.

Please be smart. I am not saying that big pieces of iron will grow out of your shoulders, chest and legs like the armor does. I am saying that something very similar happens to the person doing martial arts.

So whoever the kid was that started this thread. Like I said. Adults are cynical. They also cannot stand to admit they do not know something. They will tell you you are stupid or tell you to shut up about things that you may be right about.

When you learn that about adults, it will make your life easier.

17. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

No comment :D

{{{Stifled giggles}}}

18. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Your right, Martial artists CAN tell when people are lying.

Your profile says you were born in 1976. You sure you've been married 20 years?

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Bosh! Busted! :D

20. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

I was going to point that out as well.

I think his feet personally look like he's about to take a bad penalty kick.

I smell tr...tro...sorry, not my place to say. (He says stifling a wink nudge and point)

As for all that secret rubbish...yeah, you're right, secrets do occur in MA's. (Unfortunately.) BUT NOT IN CARTOONS!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.