*New Martial Art*

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Timber, May 22, 2007.

1. Timber

Timber New Member

I'm thinking of Creating a new martial art, and I was wondering if it has already been done.

Basically its an art based on breaking joints and hyper extending mucles. Fingers, elbows, sholders, knees, anything that has a joint.

I was just wondering if there is an art already like this?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

No, that has never been done before.

Yes.

Take Jujutsu, Hapkido, Aikido, Sambo or Judo.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hi and welcome to MAP!

Before you create your own martial art, you need a heck of a lot of experience of the existing martial arts so that you have a sound grasp of fighting techniques. Do you have enough experience to do this? Most people who create new martial arts do so after having studied an existing art for decades and spotted shortcomings in that style. So, before you create anything new yourself, you definitely need to get out there and get those decades of experience.

Good luck!

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Don't forget Eagle Claw and Chin Na.

5. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

Does it have chinese burns, your new art? and mercy-mercy?

6. Topher

Topher allo!

In a sense, yes, but I get the feeling that many people who 'create' a 'new' art are probably quacks who have limited experience and just want to give themselves a high rank. Anyone with legitimate experience should we aware that whatever they think off probably already exists in some form.

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

old school judo.
    japanese jujutsu.
    brazilian jiu-jitsu.
    sambo.
    combat submission wrestling.
    catch as catch can wrestling.
    dumog/ buno/ boltong.
    yudo.
    mongolian jacket wrestling.
    kushti- indian wrestling.
    and so many more that i won't list because i've got things to do.

8. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

19 years old and wants to invent a new martial art???

what experience do you have of life and martial arts? (apart from Naruto!!)

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Timber,

Pay no heed to negative talk like this!

Anyone with a few weeks experience can invent a new martial art, which will be completely different to all the other hundreds of arts which already exist. And the younger you are, the better!

The most important things are the name, the uniform, the website, and getting lot's of clips on YouTube so that people can see how deadly you are.

It's about time the world had a new martial art, so good on you!

;) :D

10. Lily

Lily Valued Member

You know, I have a feeling that the mods created this 'new' account to create some comedy so we have more posts to nominate for the Funniest 2007...

11. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Surely anyone in a position to 'create a whole new art' wouldn't be asking this, on a forum??

:rolleyes:

12. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Your a person, you have a brain, sure you can make up a new martial art, whos to stop you.

I bet it will suck auns cheeks though. :p :D

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Of course, that's what I meant really. :D

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There are two big questions to start with, to my mind:

1) What are your qualifications? (Do you have the background to do this?)

2) What is your plan? (Why do you want to do this? And what is it going to look like? Teaching it? Practicing it solely for your own edification?)

There's no official benchmark for making your own style. But are you talking about naming your own style, being the head of the system, and teaching students of your own? Because that, as people have said, requires a strong background. If you're just talking about a practice that's designed to fit your needs, then that's a natural consequence of experience anyway.

Stuart

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The fact that you can't name any arts that include "breaking joints and hyper extending mucles" means that you aren't qualified to teach an art that already exists let alone create a new one.

I don't need any more information to work that out. It's just obvious.

Go learn an art that includes this stuff and then you'll be in a position to decide if the niche exists for yet another art that does such things.
    Pick one...there are many.

16. MonkeysUncle

MonkeysUncle Shakin' like Bacon

Timber, what types of joint breaking and hyper extending muscles are you looking for? It's all been done physically before, as there are only so many ways a human can break. Japanese Jujutsu includes all of that, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Sambo, and wrestling do that on the ground, Aikido does that using momentum, Judo does that in more of a sport focus, and then there's Chin Na and the Chinese grappling styles that I don't know much about, but have been shown to be effective. If you have had at very least a year of training in all these styles and find none of them sufficient, by all means create your own. However, I highly doubt that, and would just recommend training in one of these tried and true systems instead of creating your own.

That is, unless you mean to use it as an enterprise and become the next Ashida Kim, but that's a whole 'nother conversation.

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I'm innocent guv!!! :eek: And just to prove it, I'm moving this out to General Discussion. Someone with the wealth of experience sufficient enough to create their own brand spanking new style doesn't need to post in Beginners. ;)

18. Timber

Timber New Member

Gez, I didnt think comming on to this forum that states *beginners section* that everybody would be so rude. Yes I'm a beginner, and I'm not looking for fame and fortune in creating or teaching this new art. It was only to suit my needs. Man alive, youd think that people would be a little more open minded.

Gez it was a harmless question. and obv comming from a noob you should expect these questions, because I dont know any better. I'm new to all this.

19. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

If you are new to all of this, why do you think it would be cool for you to create your own art?

20. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Timber, you may not have gotten the memo, but before you are allowed to create a new style of martial arts, you must test your theories and techniques in "The Kumite."

I am not sure if you are ready for that. To be sure, will you come to NY and accept a challenge match against me, so I may assess your new ground-breaking never before seen joint lock techniques, against my antiquated and obsolete BJJ skills?