What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Watching the second season of Love, whimsically charming.
    Watched the first season of Killjoys in 3 days, really enjoyed it.

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Coincidentally, I just stumbled across this show this morning, when my youngest was down for her nap, but only made it halfway thru the second episode, by the time she woke up. I found the bickering relationship of the brothers to be kind of clichéd if I am honest, though not to point that it stopped me from enjoying the show.

Travess

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Same here. Can't wait till season 2.

I've also been quite enjoying SS-GB. I was disappointed with The Man In The High Castle (supporting characters are great, main protagonists are pretty bland and I don't care about them), and when I first saw the ad for SS-GB I thought "oh no, how awful, the BBC are doing a Man In The High Castle ripoff". Actually though, the psychology of walking the line between surviving and resisting is handled much better in SS:GB, IMHO. Not amazing, but worth a watch.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm a few episodes of Iron Fist in.

It's not bad, aside from some cheesy dialogue. Which in context is forgivable...

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'm 4 episodes in, and hope to catch a couple more tonight. I'm disappointed. :mad:

What made Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and even Flash work, was that within a few episodes we understand (1) that the protagonist is broken, and (2) why he or she is broken, and (3) and what the protagonist wants, and (4) why the protagonist can't get it. And (5) it all made sense. This is missing from Iron Fist, at least after 4 episodes.

We don't know why Danny returned to America -- what is motivation for being in America. We don't know how he got to America. We don't know if he left with the permission of his monks, or not.

Because he described his training and life as being severe and difficult to the point of abusive, we would expect him to sit and stand and dress like Toshiro Mifune in a samurai movie. Istead, he looks and sits and stands and acts like a homeless hippy surfer dude, and that does not compute. The joke about his shoes failed on me because his dress was never explained. I'm actually very distracted by that dichotomy. And also, after 15 years speaking Chinese in a foreign culture, he should have an accent. Instead, he sounds like a homeless hippy surfer from California.

:bang:

6. Ben Gash CLF

I would say that you certainly weren't that clear on those things 4 episodes in to Jessica Jones, and a lot of it was fuzzy at that point in Luke Cage.
    I would argue his motivation is pretty obvious and simple??
    How he got there is at least hinted at in episodes 3 and 5.
    I agree that it could probably have done with more exposition sooner, but JJ would certainly have benefited from that too.

7. Mushroom

I've just finished Iron Fist. It took me a while to finish the last 2 episodes and thats not a good sign.

I'll try to keep it brief. (as I'm tired and have a 25hr day tomorrow)

- Dodgy Dialogue.

I initially didn't mind the dodgy dialogue of Danny speaking like a cheesy Shaw Bros character. He was dropped in the Himalayas and into a weird Asian monastery when he was a tween and stayed there till he was mid 20s. So sure, his speech and naivety would be acceptable within context.

Much like Thor when he arrives on Earth. Speaking nobility like etc...eventually relaxing in his speech as evident in the end scene with Dr Strange and also with his flat mate, Darrell.

But that wouldn't explain why Colleen speaks like a MAP troll. Constant talk of honour and chi.
    "I am your Sensei! You fight without honour!"
    You're a mid 20's MA teacher from New York. Teaching some generic Japanese art with no name...it's just...Japanese. So throw in a katana and some kendo lessons.

-Everyone fights the same!

Danny and Davos, should have a similar fighting style. Sure. From the same school, same teachings. But no definitive characteristics.
    Looking at my own MA classes and I can probably point out how everyone fights despite under the tutorledge of the same coach. I'm sure everyone here on MAP can say the same.

Colleen, does Japanese arts. As evident of her Katana. Yet fights...like everyone else, but less flips. She does the odd Kendo like downward slice, but she's a silk top and backflip away from an XMAist.
    She does one crappy armbar. Probably because she's a girl, fighting in a cage...ah..just like, someone famous.

Bakuto. Sensei (sorta) to Colleen. An XMAist. (scratches head).

There was however a cool-ish fight with a drunken master and of course Episode 6. Which was probably my favourite episode. Scythe (David Sakurai is a friend of a friend).

=
    "I can't bring out the Fist. I have depleted my Chi"

"Do a form you know off by heart"

"Thanks. Oh wow I'm reset"

Lolwut?!
    =

But mostly what got me is. The last episode, 20mins in, I had to double check there was not more episodes. But Danny is still questioning his identity and purpose and a crowbarred reason to fight someone.

Why is the last 45mins, not one big battle? It's a kungfu show after all. Gimme!

=

I'm sorry but the show started great and then it fizzled somewhere. But it was an easy watch for at least 8 / 13 episodes.

I have more rants but I'll leave it at that for the mean time.

I have an idea for the last third of the series, but I'll rant and rave about that later.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  8. Mushroom

Oh and his kung fu poses are dire and it kills me.

9. aikiMac

I finished episode 6, and I've had the same complaint.

Like, when Danny crashed her class and they briefly crossed hands, she was fighting according to Chinese-style choreography, not Japanese-style, but she's supposed to be a karate teacher. Color me a perfectionist, but that kind of stuff bothers me very much. :bang:

I'll finish the series because I'm too far in now, but afterwards, to clean out my eyeballs, I'm going to have to rewatch Daredevil season 1. :mad:

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Watched the BBC 3 part drama The Replacement. It was pretty good to be fair and the tension built up nicely. Good plot well worked; until the end that is. For me it it was too glossed over which could have been a little better explained.

It felt like we could have done with an extra 5-10 minutes, the ending or the 'wrap up' was just a little too thin on details for me. It didn't feel satisfying, in this case it felt like a shame because up till then it had been very good. A small quible overall though.

Also tried to watch SS GB (BBC). Gave up after 15-20 minutes, both myself and the Mrs found it boring.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  11. Ben Gash CLF

Even his Ging Lai looks wrong :(

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Daredevil set the bar high. I think I could have done better fight coreography. Feels like I'm watching 70''s kung fu except everyone is white and unathletic.

MINI SPOILER EPISODE 6
    The drunken boxing guy was atrocious.

13. Mushroom

Chadderz. Drunken dude initially applied to be Iron Fist when there was a call (by the interwebz) to have Danny Rand as Asian.

But he kinda turned out to be a weird Jack Sparrow..

14. aikiMac

Finished episode 11, and to be fair to the show -- episode 10 was really good, not for the acting or lines but for the shocking revelation. I did not see that coming :eek: and it is a very clever idea!

At the same time, though, Bakuto is an idiot.
    He totally could have gotten Danny on his side by pitching a reformation movement inside the Hand. "The Hand is bad. Evil. Nasty. But it doesn't have to be bad. It could be used for good. Look at the lives I've improved here: [list all the doctors, etc -- all those people Bakuto and Colleen were talking about times 100 more of them]. Look at Colleen. Is she evil? This is what the Hand could be, and should be. Help me make it so."

Come on, Danny would have joined Bakuto in a war against Gao. Totally. What an idiot Bakuto is.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  15. Pretty In Pink

Mostly the drunken boxing was just cap. I feel I could have done better. That how dissapiinting that was. Jackie Chan has the monopoly on drunken boxing though.

16. Ben Gash CLF

I kinda liked it as a more "real" depiction of drunken boxing.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I am three episodes in and to be honest can't see why there is so much hate on it. It's a slow burn, true but the action scenes are not that bad at all - although not up to DD "Punisher jail fight" level I have certainly seen MUCH worse

18. aikiMac

It is a slow burn, yes, but I've grown to like it (still at ep. 11). But I disagree as to the action. I'm sure I've seen worse, but, for someone who is supposed to be such a great fighter that he can defend a road all by himself -- no.

Punisher jail fight! :heart: :love:

19. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, very inconsistent. Sometimes he's struggling against one common thug, other times he's dropping ten guys with ease.

20. Ben Gash CLF

Person of Interest season 5.