Meat eater reviews. Faux meat.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kframe, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i don't know what to think of lab-grown meat. but i'm considering eating bi-valves.

2. Giovanni

ben, just an additional note on my comment here. also, i love to quote myself. lol

i will say this though, as someone that competes in bjj, i am going to be looking to supplement here. i'm ramping up for 2-3 competitions next year, including the world masters (as a blue belt). i've been thinking that as i ramp up my activity to even greater heights, i'm going to need supplementation. i've found several vegan supplements that i'm going to consider using.

i haven't yet competed as a vegan, so i'm wary of getting what i need. i'm 46, and far from a high-performance athlete. :) but it's something i'm on the lookout for.

regards.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It's really not that hard to get all the protein and other nutrients you need from plant based foods. The addition of more legumes will likely cover you in the protein area.

I went over a lot of this stuff with the dietitian I was seeing as far as taking meat out of a diet and getting all the macros you need. The conclusion of our discussion was that as long as you are covering your basic metabolic rate (BMR - how many calories you burn doing nothing, you can find a calculator for it pretty easily online), and then cover your activity/exercise levels, there's really not a whole lot of extra math (book keeping 0_0) involved.

The only important thing with an all plant based diet is to make sure you eat a lot of variety. That way you make all the complete proteins. It's not as big an effort as most people make it out to be either. Literally just eat different kinds of plant based products throughout the day that aren't in the same category. Get some grains, get some legumes, get some foliage.

The only other important thing to note is you also have to eat a lot more of it because plant based foods aren't as calorie dense. Or just eat a couple teaspoons of Crisco with it all ^_^ (Crisco solves everything)

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Another weird measurement of a man is how big a #2 you can take. Vegans/Vegetarians have that over meat eaters by far with all that fiber.

So next time you run into "I'm more of a man because I eat meat!" just bring up how grunting and turning red to pass a tiny pebble for a stool is more emasculating than a consistent diet of properly scolded foliage that lets you drop it like a boss.

Males are weird.

5. Giovanni

i agree. this is what i'm trying to tell people. it's really not that hard. i was much more intimidated and scared about it beforehand, but once i dove in, it really just works quite easily.

but i'm new to this, so i'm keeping an eye out and making sure i get enough of what i need. i am also willing to say that this may not work for me if it doesn't--just trying to keep an open mind about it

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I once had a long and rather drunken chat with my father in law about whether it was morally ok for me to eat road kill.

After a long evening we decided
    1 it probably was
    2 you probably wouldn't want to
    3 whisky is nice

Mitch :D

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Did you include human road kill in the discussion? Youd probably get the opposite answer to 1 & 2.

You must have been very, very drunk to get that answer for 3.

8. Giovanni

i love the fact that beer, wine and spirits are in fact vegan. ha!

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

If it's good enough for Pandas (carnivores who kinda choose to be vegan, eat carcasses).. :google:

I read this article last year. It's about a 300lb NFL player who went full vegan. His main issue, mostly due to him being an athlete, is that he needs over 10,000 calories worth, which means he has to eat almost every 2hrs just to maintain his size and energy levels.

http://www.gq.com/story/vegan-diet-of-nfl-player-david-carter

Obviously scale it down for non athletes like myself. And I have toyed with the idea of going a bit more vegetarian as I get older.

As I mentioned before, the science and understanding of vegetarian food today is so much better. Now if we can only get rid of the "I'm a vegan" clothing....

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'm afraid not! A fair few wines use fish products and some beers use animal products in the brewing process.

You can check if a brand is vegan here: http://www.barnivore.com

It's a bit of a minefield. I just checked some ales and it's possible for the bottles to be vegan but not the casks in some cases.

11. Bozza Bostik

Not always. There's sometime bits of stuff from animals in some of them. You have to research the product.

Edit: David "speedy fingers" Harrison has already answered that. Sorry DH!

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I find it interesting how many people here on MAP are some type of vegetarian.

13. David Harrison

It's an unfortunate nick name in the current political climate :eek:

[​IMG]

14. Giovanni

OH NO!!!

15. David Harrison

I think spirits are pretty much all okay. That website I linked to is really comprehensive though, I suggest bookmarking it :)

16. Bozza Bostik

I had not thought of the possibility of someone reading something naughty into that post at all.....honest.

I believe a lot of Pagans are veggie or vegan, right? - The whole Mother Earth thing and all that. Or at least the ones I have met over the years.

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Eh, not in my experience any more than any other group.

But I live in California where there are lots of vegetarians all over various circles.

18. Bozza Bostik

Could be a UK thing. But yeah, the vast majority have been...but then again, they have also been connected to the punk or Goth thing so that could have been the influence. :dunno: