FAQ - Can I Teach Myself Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by aikiwolfie, Oct 11, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

What about at 2, once they've learnt to walk, amongst many other complex skills?

I'm still not getting why wrestling is more innate than any other way of fighting.

Flailing limbs is innate. After that, trying to discern between innate and learned behaviour becomes incredibly nebulous. Not just for humans, but any primate and many mammals.

I need sources before I'll accept this assertion.

And, are we defining the palmar grasp reflex as "wrestling" now?

2. David Harrison

Also, I am very interested in the distinction between learning to control the extremities and fighting.

3. Kave

Kave Lunatic

No, but it does suggest that grabbing (which is an important component of wrestling) is instinctive. Most strikes from very young children look like failed attempts at pushing by someone who has little control over their limbs. This is quite different from striking as an instinctive form of rough-housing or fighting.

4. David Harrison

But the palmar grasp reflex is lost after 5 or 6 months of age.

When kids wrestle, it looks like a failed attempt at wrestling, when they strike with hands, elbows, feet or knees, it is more likely to elicit an effect. When they use an improvised melee or missile weapon, it has an even greater chance of eliciting an effect.

Kids do all of the above.

What is your reasoning for asserting that wrestling is somehow more innate?

5. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I posted all the science I need to know. Some boys are pure natural graplerz. My Daugher was born to kick. I don't need to have a.PhD to know that most of this argument is BS. Kids will.do what comeshe natural to them. Some strike or grapple even use blunt weapons . Others are pure scholars. I work with kids.have 3 of my own. One of them is the best dirt eater you will ever see.

6. David Harrison

And this is exactly what I see in students; some take naturally to using their arms or legs as weapons, and some take naturally to grappling (and some are natural dirt eaters :) ).

7. David Harrison

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  8. Dario86

Dario86 New Member

nice post!

9. GotYourPants

GotYourPants New Member

Alright, I know I *shouldn't* try to teach myself, but I just can't help it. I eventually want to compete in MMA. I don't need to learn anything too fancy, but I really want to start working out the kinks in my most basic striking moves. The only local martial art I could take is Tae Kwon Do. I took it off and on for years, and if I'm staying in the area, I'll start going again, but I got really discouraged by the bad reputation TKD gets. There are virtually no striking strikes with the hands. The round kick is fast, but weak. I've been trying to relearn my round kick in the Muay Thai style, but it feels really weird. Anyway, even though I'm sure I'm adding tons of flaws into my muscle memory, I've at least made some rather significant headway, for instance actually shifting my weight when the move requires it.

So I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make the best of what I have available. I've just been looking up several different opinions on how to do each move, and sort of blending them together in the way that seems best suited to me.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Your options are,
    1) Travel to train or
    2) give up or
    3) book an MMA match and get a kicking.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If you want to compete in mma you need to be training one style of striking, and one of grappling. No ifs no buts no "I can't afford it" or "It's too far away". If you want it badly enough you can train. Stop drinking, get a job, get a mode of transport. That is what serious people do. Otherwise you are just fantasising.

Thomas likes this.
  12. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

TLDR: Yes you can, but you will undoubtedly teach yourself bad habits and re-invent the wheel. Start with a few arts and learn their foundation, then experiment and see what works for you...only then, attempt to see if it also works for others.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you wanted to compete in tennis tournaments, would you learn badminton just for now?

Mitch

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If there is nowhere suitable to train the style you want, you have 2 choices:

1. Train whatever is near you, at least you will learn correct techniques and timing.

2. Don't train in a martial art for the time being, but work on your strength training, conditioning and cardio so when you can eventually train these won't hold you back.

15. Petson

Petson New Member

Amen. There's nothing to add. I was trying to teach myself at first, but it doesn't make sense without someone who will introduce you to basic.

16. Dave Sing

Dave Sing New Member

Nowadays there are lots of websites and video tutorials online from professional coaches and fighters. I taught myself boxing and martial arts first then I started to enroll in a local gym. i've become a well-rounded fighter quickly and till now I'm still learning more by myself than the teachings of my coaches :)

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Have you competed yet dave?

18. BrendanCassidy

BrendanCassidy Valued Member

the key is to make a dualism of failure/completion..or otherwise attempting not to make a mistake..

but mistakes are ground into the formal Earth of the world..which is where roots come from..!!\

So what in essence am I trying to say but the key is within you..someone else can point you too it..but there is no reason you cannot understand as good as they can..and in fact...it will only be you via the formula E=MC2..which means energy is the non transferance of matter..which is energy in wave formation..which is mass..at the swinging of the arrow itself..or otherwise electron..proton..and neutron..123..so to speak..

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

So go training?

Cool, glad we're clear on that. :eek:

20. BrendanCassidy

BrendanCassidy Valued Member

bold, to confront the object of lore..which is winning vs losing..you can feel this like yin and yang, circle philosophy, aikido..has a relation to the circle..but the Juijutsu, is formal and commonly Brenchant.. Which is penchant necessarily.. and then and therefore..I am an Adam..means I have the first rite in the fight..so what I extend will be winning..and therefore the winner is Adam!