Pick your trainer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Simon, Aug 10, 2014.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Dan Inosanto fanboy answer: Dan Inosanto. Duh.
    English major me: Krishna. Seemed to work for Arjuna in the Bhagavad Gita.
    Pragmatic, sensible me: Depends very much on the format of fight we're talking about. Not that I'm an MMA guy. But if I were, I'd say Greg Jackson. There was a terrific article on the Jackson Winkeljohn Gym in Sports Illustrated once (the one time I've ever read Sports Illustrated). Made Greg Jackson sound like a fascinating trainer. And you can't argue with the track record.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Real answer - my instructor. Really, she has gotten me this far. Or her instructor, my Sifu. I can do things I never imagined before starting this journey. Why mess with success?

Fantasy answer - Xena! Woman can take on an army. And she took that little annoying peacenick sidekick - Gabrielle - and made her a warrior on the same level as her.

Second fantasy choice - Ben Kenobi- Made Luke a worthy adversary able to to amazing things more advanced students couldn't in a short period of time. And he can keep teaching after death.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Erik Paulson - because he's Erik Paulson

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How many fighters has greg made from scratch vs how many come to him after learning a solid foundation?

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh I don't know, mate. Is it really that serious a thread? Seriously, people get to say Ben Kenobi and Bruce Lee. And you're questioning Greg Jackson?

:)

p.s. I loved the Ben Kenobi answer.

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Screw it, I'm changing mine.

Deadpool.

:D

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Stu Hart?

8. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Depends, if it's a fight to the death, probably Katherine janeway. Because if I couldn't outfight my opponent she'd come up with a clever, probably ruthless, way to win. Or at least not die.

If it's just a fight and I wanna be honorable about it, worf. He could teach me some awesome Klingon techniques that would take my opponent by surprise.

9. slasha

slasha Banned Banned

Or maybe Dangermouse

He's the greatest
    He's the best

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I keep scouring gyms looking for this fellow to train me (RIP)

[​IMG]

But I swear, all I seem to find is this

[​IMG]

:cry::cry::cry:

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Great wrestler, terrifying coach!

Actually let me change my above (no disprespect to Erik) - Ed "Stangler" Lewis or Billy Robinson

Gene Lebell and Karl gotch both said Ed Lewis was pretty much untouchable as a wrestler

12. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Maybe Hannibal... so we can punch each other in the face while talking about religion.

13. LemonSloth

Some say it can be difficult to discuss anything with a face full of Hannibal.

Others say that every time someone spouts some utter nonsense about JKD to Hannibal, Justin Beiber writes some lyrics for a new song.

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Chuin. Master of Sinanju -- oh, yeah. Chuin even beats Batman. :D
    Morihiro Saito, a late great aikido master (to match my current m.a.)

And for someone living, maybe Freddie Roach for boxing. You can't ever go wrong with boxing.

15. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Goku his power level is over 9000.

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mickey.

An old boy who knows the game from the ground up.

Been there, seen it, done it.

Someone who's words and life teachings live with you long after the training is done.

A teacher, a father, a friend.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC6sMFbL288"]Rocky Balboa Speech - Motivation - YouTube[/ame]

17. LemonSloth

Ok, I'm going to bite - why him specifically? Why not O'Sensei or (my favourite) Gozo Shioda?

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

LOL, I actually have a copy of this at home somewhere [​IMG]

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

CLC of pak mei fame best fighter in southern china in his day and a man who would have handed yip man his backside in a fight

Rickson because..well its rickson and who wouldn't want to learn bjj from the man who understands it like non other

Ernesto Hoost because he was Mr perfect when it came to Thai boxing and k1

Neil Adams probably the greatest judo player and coach the west has seen

Billy Robinson, because well who wouldn't learn from him?

(i have been lucky enough to learn from two of the above)

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Gozo was a badass, but Yoshinkan aikido is too different than mine (my chief instructor studied under Seiseki Abe Sensei, 10th Dan). In this fantasy I'd rather have something a little closer to home.

I almost picked O'Sensei, but Saito's reputation for purity in form, and being very intimidating as a fighter, wins me over. O'Sensei changed his aikido over the decades, whereas Saito (and Shioda, too) did not. That consistency, and his intimidating presence, is pretty cool to me.

Oh, I have several dozen of the books! :D