No gi BJJ. Yay or nay

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by 8limbs38112, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Would you like to post a video of your technique.

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Sent you a PM. I won't make a video for you, but I don't mind being in one with you. Why should you get to sit back and I do all the work ?

3. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Never understood people's resistance to posting a video illustrating their point.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Back when I did BJJ I was, very briefly and jokingly mind, nicknamed "king of the wrist locks" and would shout "Aikido wins!" when I got a wrist lock in sparring. :)
    Exclusively I got them from getting a figure four grip on an arm (going for an armbar) and then slipping my hand down onto the back of the hand, when they were resisiting the armbar, and then tightening everything up.
    So a sort of goose neck type lock.
    I got them from top and bottom positions because the important thing was controlling on arm rather than the whole body.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I told a story about wrist locks Erik Paulson was doing to a brown belt. First one he went to shake the brown belts hand, grabbed it, twisted with his opposite handiness a regular JJJ/aikido wrist lock and rolled slowly over. The brown belt tapped. Then he did another one, but I can't remember the technique now :/

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I don't really trust people to not be jerks about it, if I am being completely honest. And I've had it with those kind of people on MAP. Firstly right now I train evening in a park, so it is dark. I also am currently working with one person regularly on that evening. Having been around this forum, I can pretty much expect people will not be happy with this/ him, they'll say oh he's not a real grappler or whatever.

That will never work against me or so and so, never work in competition. Your partner is too co operative - the possibilities for this are long.

I would rather leave no room for that crap and just do it with one of you who lives in or around London. If you want a point proved, then I don't understand why no one will at least meet half way on it. That's a reasonable request, asking someone to prove their point by making a video is a reasonable request and it's also reasonable that I decline. But, it's not that I think I can't, or don't want to.

I think I can demonstrate my point and I want to, I just want it done without any of the kind of BS that these things can bring about.

I'm also unsure what "point" I am supposed to be proving and exactly the best way to satisfy that. So rather than takes shots at it and risk more prolonged discussions and debates, let's a couple of us get together and run through the technique together and then we can test how it works and how it doesn't together. No BS, just friendly training.

Otherwise I really have little motivation to prove a "a point" if I can use a technique the way I claim I can. I have little to gain by claiming such a thing and nothing to lose by it either. Like I really am bothered if you guys believe it or not. I'm still surprised at what exactly is so hard to believe.

You and Pointy say you recognise the technique. What is the problem with what I have supposed to have claimed can be done with it ?

And while you are at it, what is the problem with saying it's not a submission, given that that is what is used to describe fight enders/ contest enders in arts like BJJ.

If I feel like my words are not being straw-maned and twisted or taken for things they shouldn't, then I might feel more trusting to members of the board to not act like children over a clip.

Let's face it, on here, you're either "friend" or "fodder". If I at least understood what is so hard to believe and what you want from a demo by me exactly I might open up to the idea. Still it might have to wait until the clocks change/ gets lighter. And I would also need to check if I still have my Gi top somewhere.

I just have better things to do than worry about little BS like this. No offence, but I have a lot more real things going on to care too much about satisfying the curiosity of a bunch of strangers requesting I prove something I said to them with a clip...

Not making promises, but if it happens it happens. But I need more specifics from people. What points needs proving and how should they be proved ?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

double post

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This might be pertinent

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdD3ut4M1RA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdD3ut4M1RA[/ame]

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

From now on whenever I show a lock I will pause, look the person in the eye and say...."pressure". :)

10. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

It's a discussion about mechanics. Nothing needs to be proved so much as explained. Sometimes that's easier to do in a concrete and accurate way using video. If you actually believe something, just say (or post it) it and stand by it. Maybe people will disagree, maybe you'll actually be wrong. Who cares?

Your point, as I understand it, is that the locks function differently when finished suddenly with intent to break immediately rather than gradually increasing pressure to provide opportunity to tap. I haven't made any comment on this, yet you've already counted me as an opponent. It doesn't need to be a confrontation.
    Now if you actually expect what you put up to not stand on its own, then obviously there are bigger issues, but if that's not the case, it doesn't matter if someone tries to pick it apart. That's all I commented on.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In Chinese wrestling, both of the following joints attack are allowed.

In Judo, if I

- grab on your upper lapel. can you drop your elbow over, use your arm to wrap around my grip over and over until my fingers get caught by your Gi and won't be able to pull out?

- grab on your cross lapel, can you also grab my cross lapel below my arm, spin your body, and put pressure on my elbow joint?

[​IMG]

12. Dead_pool

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

The categorisation and terminology side of this standing "Chinna" comes from my background in CMA, so that's where I draw some of my distinctions from. That shouldn't be a problem. maybe I didn't explain myself fully or in a perfect way, but let's be frank I was being aggressively challenged and hounded. I would need to write out a post explaining the CMA terminology, the kind of techniques etc.

If I was given the chance I would, but I wasn't. I appreciate your being reasonable and your reply is an example of what is needed for any of this to be worth it. Good on you :cool:

I think I will maybe write a post about some of this and put it in the CMA forum and link to it here. I might possibly find examples of clips and links out there to illustrate my "points", if at some stage I feel it's worth doing a clip I will.

Ps. I wasn't really counting you as an opponent, it was more reaching out to understand the issue here and get feedback. You commented so it was an opportunity to ask you flat out. It was not unnoticed the nature of your replies which I thought were reasonable so yeah, I didn't intend to come across as being confrontational to you personally.

cheers

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

15. Hannibal

16. Hannibal

For those who lack sophistication and culture and don't watch puroseau.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEzylTX2pt0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEzylTX2pt0[/ame]

17. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Nice. Getting me to think I need to use my jj toolbox more when doing bjj.

18. Hannibal

They certainly aren't mutually exclusive...although I have to be pedantic and say that it is technically CACC :)

19. Dead_pool

Dropping Into waki gatamae is also classic kodokan judo, interestingly Its similar in application to the classic JJ standing outside straight armbar.

20. Hannibal

Yes it is - I was always struck by the similarity between this move and those of antiquity

[​IMG]

Obviously it is not identical, yet the essential mechanics are similar