Self-Taught Martial Artist.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Solace Gray, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

It's more beneficial than training by yourself. I train with mates outside of the gym with no formal training and I feel like I'm learning quite a bit about about basic grappling- learnt how to put on some chokes properly. I know it's not as good as traing with a qualified bjj guy or an mma guy but it's better than nothing

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

In theory it is a good thing, but in practice it proves to not be. There are a certain breed of people who want to train MA but don't want to go to a school, the money excuse rarely holds water.

But on the flip side, if you consider it from a purely social engagement perspective, like a hobby, or a thing to do on the weekend then its fine, the concern would be when these people get to believe too much of their own nonsense and get themselves into trouble. But that can be true for people who study in a proper school too.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you sure it's not yes and Yes? Yes and yes don't look right to me. Maybe yeS and yEs.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You are not learning anything properly

Get to a proper gym, get some real training

5. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

I go to a proper boxing gym which is my main focus. If what I'm learning from my mates works then whats wrong with that. Just because they havnt been to a judo gym or bjj class doesn't nessesary mean they don't know how to do some techniques does it?

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Think about it like this, if you started having sex with your sister, you would still make babies, but they would, after time, become Tazzies.

It works in theory, but the fallout shows just how wrong it is.

7. Hannibal

Yes it does. They don't know the technique and not do you so how can you train or correct or improve properly?

Full marks on the boxing - one of my favourite martial arts

8. Ero-Sennin

If there was ever something to say to make somebody stop training on their own without plenty of prior formal training, that's probably it.

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Bobby, sorry to be blunt but were are you getting your information...youtube?

You really do need an instructor. go to a Judo dojo and ask to do some randori and you will see there is a big difference between rolling round with equally unskilled individuals and a trained competent Judo/BJJ ka.

You and your mates are gonna get injured messing around with techniques you dont understand.

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Boxing is not a martial art. It is a sport, just like Tiddly Winks.

11. Hannibal

Don't make me come over there!!!!!

12. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

A sport that works better than most martial arts haha

13. Ero-Sennin

I don't get why people just don't understand that! It's kind of like Ninjutsu. That's not a martial art either, it's meant to be a CosPlay/LARP meeting.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I love Supernatural

15. Ero-Sennin

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

My online life is getting RUINED today!

16. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Oh yeah haha I just rememberd that one of the boys did ninjutsu for a couple of years when he was younger. So I spose thats formal training. I don't know anything about it though. Sword fighting ?

17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I can't afford to train but I can afford a kick butt computer, internet connection, and video gaming devices

18. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

:whistle:

Guy, inform me when you're starting the "my style is better than yours" thing, so I know when to take popcorn.

19. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Haha. Bar fights end up in court. Bar fights are dumb.

20. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hands up all of the MAPers who have:

A) NEVER BEEN IN A BAR FIGHT....

B) LOVE THE OLD JOHN WAYNE MOVIES WITH BAR FIGHTS...

C) WANNA BE JOHN WAYNE (IN A BAR FIGHT).

I'll fess up first - I do, I do, I do...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.