Wushu Training Drills Part 2 ( Amazing Tornado Kick)

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by stonze, Jun 22, 2013.

1. stonze

stonze Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dnja7YmS2k"]Wushu Training Drills Part 2 ( Amazing Tornado Kick) - YouTube[/ame]

I take you through my warm up drills that I do before I start my class. In this video, I do some more punching drills on the bag. I do a "Wing Chun" chain punching drill on the bag as well.

I also execute an amazing "Tornado Kick", and one of my "Sibaks" makes a little cameo in this video as well. I do at least 30 movements or steps with Tai Chi with the "Golden Rooster" form.

Martial Art - Northern Wushu

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You looking for anything in particular with posting this or are you just show-casing a video?

3. stonze

stonze Valued Member

I'm looking for feedback to help me improve on things while i'm not at the dojo

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Alright. I don't ever like to offer critique unless asked, so I thought I would ask first :p

I'm limited to what I can comment on because I'm not big into kicking, but there were two big things that popped out to me that I think would benefit you a lot to work on.

1.) Work on distancing. It's a constant practice and is a skill/awareness constantly in development but is absolutely vital in performance when sparring or fighting. It's also a skill you can really make gains in with heavybag/dummy work. A lot of your punches are stopped short of your full reach while hitting the Wavemaster bag. You have a good foot of distance you're not using on your reach. One thing I show guys at the gym to help them with this is standing in front of the bag, extend the jab hand (elbow/shoulder almost fully extended and twist in the hips/feet) and where your knuckles touch the bag is the distance you need to burn in your memory. You can do that with every punch too. Then comes throwing thousands of punches from a stationary position, probably some slight elbow hyper-extensions from extending a little too far (not serious enough to stop though), and then transitioning into moving while throwing punches at that range.

The reason for doing this is because your punch is the stronger when it gains the most velocity/speed towards your target and that is at the end of the punch. If you have the distance you need to be at to strike burned into your memory you'll be able to punch people a LOT harder and faster, and you're in a better position to get out of the way of a counter attack.

2.) I noticed you leaning into the Wavemaster while punching. I'm assuming you were simulating punching somebody at close range.

I guarantee you that you will not land an effective punch as close as you were to the bag. You have to create a little distance in order to really get those punches in on a live person. This is where an understanding in sparring/fighting application helps you use bag work more effectively. The angle of a bag is not the same as the angle of another human being. You could probably go to the BOB dummy to simulate this honestly. Lean in as close to him as you are on the bag and try to punch him, there won't be much to hit!

That's all I noticed off first glance. I don't know if you're doing the kicks good but you're sure as hell doing way better then I am with them :p

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I don't mean to be negative, but several things are bothering me.... I do mean this constructively.

You seem to not be following advice on doing fancy spinning kicks before getting your basic kicks down.

Why are you doing "Wing Chun"punches if that isn't the style you are studying?

Are you actually studying Tai Chi Chuan there ? What style?

I swore I was not going to say anything about your school without you asking first, but you are asking for input. Because I am trying to figure out if some of what I see is your school's teachings or that you are just starting out.

The following is from a Yang style perspective. I can't speak for other TCC styles. Although I am sure some things I say are true in other styles as well.

You never swing your body in TCC (at least Yang style) like that. that is so against the fundamental principles of TCC I REALLY hope your school did not teach you that. Leaning forward and sticking out your tailbone like that should not be happening!

Your one arm is crunched way too close to your body. . Think about your elbow being just above your knee when you think of the extension .The other one should be down by your side- palm down. You are a young flexible guy, your crane stance should be higher. You should be moving more slowly.

To fully comment on a TCC move, we really need to see your whole body. Are your toes pointed down in your crane? How are you stepping?

I don't know this person or lineage. A couple of things especially in the snake creeps low are a bit different than I am taught. But please look at the golden rooster in this video to have a better (not perfect) idea what it should look like. I will try and find some more.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqIW4WrIOtA"]Tai Chi - 11 Golden Rooster Stands on One Leg - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Since you asked, I won't say, "Great job! Keep up the good work." Sometime the negative feed back could hurt, but try to look at this way, instead of paying money to have someone helping you to "polish" your work, you will get all those comments online for free.

1. Try to do your "tornado kick" from a solid stance without helping from your right foot landing. Try not to swing your arms by keeping your right hand on your right waist. Check your flexibility to see if your left hand can touch your right foot at the highest point. Try to lean your body back a little so your kick can reach to the maximum height.

2. In the "golden rooster", try to have both of your "tiger mouthes" to open. Extend your upper arm more. Upper hand is used to push your opponent's chin up. Lower hand is used to pull down your opponent's leading arm. The raising knee is to knee into your opponent's belley or groin. Try to add your "intend" into your move even if you are doing solo. You can't grab anything if your thumb and first finger are not open. You can't push up if your arm doesn't extend forward and upward. You can't develop your knee strike if you don't raise your knee to the maximum height.

3. Before the "golden rooster" you have a both side hammer fists, kick punch, and punch combo. That combo can clear tell exactly where you are in your training path. You need to go back to the basic and more basic.

It just seems to me it may be too early for you to cross train WC, longfist, and Taiji at your stage. It's good to cross train but you will need at least one solid foundation built from certain style.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  7. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Not so much a wu shu guy, but during the right crosses, you seem to be jamming yourself in because you are leaning in too much, you lose a good bit of your power because the punch ends short and you cannot get the full shoulder and hip rotation into it. For the tornado kick, a tendency is to stay upright, but you might want to lean back. I couldn't tell if this was consistent or not in the video, I saw it once or twice, but keep your wrist straight when you punch. If it is not straight, you run the risk of breaking your wrist when you punch too hard.

8. stonze

stonze Valued Member

I was actually practicing a new form that we were taught last week called " Chángquán" and I was doing Chángquán - 1.. There are numerous forms of Chángquán, I think we will be taught at least 5-7.

But thanks for the feedback bro

9. stonze

stonze Valued Member

and if you can't pronounce " Chángquán"
    it sound like "Chong-Wong"

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have to be honest and say I wouldn't be very happy if one of my beginners was doing spinning kicks in class and posting the results on you tube.

You are getting ahead of yourself and should spend countless hours on the basics.

The stance(s), first few punches, blocks/parries and kicks you were shown in the first couple of months is where your focus should be.

Don't drill it until you get it right, drill it until it never goes wrong.

Don't be bound by it and re-visit it every now and again to keep it sharp.

11. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Not really a comment on the OP's video exactly, but seeing it reminded me so much of when I was 18 and took Kung Fu lessons. I was very full of enthusiasm and wanted to learn everything I could. Please feel free to skip the nostalgia on my part that follows...

The problem I had back then was that the school I went to was not very good. I don't mean that it was a McDojo, I mean that the instructor (as far as I could tell later) just threw a bunch of stuff he knew together, and taught it as a traditional Kung Fu style with a made up name. I'm sure he had some skill, but it wasn't at the level he claimed. Later one of the other students did some digging, and I think they found he had a rank in TKD. The Kung Fu was all made up or from stuff he had seen as far as I can tell. A mish mash of stuff.

Without a really qualified teacher to rein me in, I know I was all over the place with what I was trying to learn back then. It wasn't until I encountered a good MA teacher in college, who brought me back to reality a bit. He also taught me to really question traditional martial arts, and be extremely skeptical of various MA things I had accepted as gospel before. I learned a bit about how much fakery, and such there is in MA. It showed me how bad the first school I went to really was.

Now I'm back doing Kung fu again (not exactly sure how that happened), and it is totally different than than the first school.

Things are so much better for kids today. The have sites like this one, and Bullshido too. I have to say I actually searched my current Kung Fu school on Bullshido before joining up to see what they said (all good as far as I could see). Not only can you post videos like the OPs for advice, but you can do a lot of research about the styles you are learning, their history, etc.

Anyways, forgive my nostalgic ramblings...

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I think I know which longfist form you are talking about. It's a modern Wushu form. Please notice that the longfist system has a basic requirement that when you punch, your punching arm, front shoulder, and back shoulder should all be in one straight line. This "maximum" extension is the trademark for the longfist system. Since this requirement, the longfist system is contradiction to the WC system. It's very difficult (if not impossible) to cross train longfist and WC at the same time.

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/6242/longfistpunch.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  13. stonze

stonze Valued Member

Its just one of the various forms that we will be taught

14. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

You should be engaging your hips more in your punches. You should not bend at the waist so much when you slip, it should come from your legs. Your coach/sifu/sensei should have told you this. What's his advice on your training?

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you train how to use a sword without holding a sword, you start to pay attention on how to move your body instead of how to move your limbs. IMO, that's intermediate level training stage.

16. stonze

stonze Valued Member

aahhhh.. very very valid point made there ^