JkD question

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by PFJD, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Bruce never taught Gary Dill so he is off to a loser straight away

Bruce -James Lee- Gary Dill - Rain Burgess - Dan Sorber

This makes him 4th gen and also surprisingly ill informed about his art

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

well i'm just confused. I have looked at some... and only some of Lee's teaching, belief's on simplifying his system. This I think is great. However, I feel that speed is something that is needed to accomplish his. Watching a lot of boxing and yes I know they aren't the same thing, but some guys are gifted with speed and some train and train and get very little... if any faster. I'm lookin for a harder striking art to compliment the CH. My gym does the CH and a form of hybrid type TKD I guess is how I would explain it. It's at the same place so it would be easy to learn. I just feel a Thai leg kick for instance might be more effectice than a TKD kick (no, i'm not trying to knock on TKD at all). Just keep in mind I am taught all kicks should be below the waist. Perhaps there is a better art to compliment what I am doing?

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

" Learn the JKD curriculum as BRUCE LEE taught it in his own schools in Oakland, Seattle and Los Angeles."

Correct me if I'm wrong Old Bean, but wasn't JKD a post Seattle thing?

Hence Lee never taught JKD there,just Jun Fan.

4. Hannibal

He was not certified in JKD true, but was active until 1972 and had been training with Bruce until the end. I consider if basically JFGF, but don't get too bent out if shape if people want to call it JKD, JFJKD or anything else...it's just a name; please don't fuss I've it!

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Oop. Sorry I wasn't clear.I meant Bruce,not James, never taught JKD in Seattle.Nor to my knowledge referred in later years to what he had taught there as JKD.That's why I thought the quoted line was inaccurate. Simply a historical thingie. No fuss,no muss!

Actually I suppose that sentiment could raise fusses. But I'll just refer all fusses to the subtitle of Jesse G.'s 1st book.;)

6. R. Burgess

R. Burgess New Member

Outdated

Hate to troll up an old post but Dan was a student of mine at one time. He was an apprentice instructor under my direct supervision. I am also a JKD Principles through Joe Lewis, so he is not misinformed. I am a second generation instructor and have been involved with JKD since 1997. Gary Dill was under James Yimm Lee at Bruce Lee's Oakland school which was technically his garage. I am just now seeing this for the first time and hoped to clear the air. I mainly travel in Muay Thai circles so it was easy to miss. Dan's school closed down and he is no longer a student of mine. He also no longer lives in Rehoboth Beach.

7. Hannibal

He made a claim that Bruce taught Gary - how is that not misinformation?

To be clear it HIS claim, not the claim of the lineage itself. I have always got on very well with Gary and consider hims a really nice guy

8. R. Burgess

R. Burgess New Member

I did not see where he made that claim. If he did it is misinformation. Gary only trained at Bruce Lee's Oakland school and directly with James. Dan is third generation however, he just failed to list that I am also an instructor under Joe.

9. R. Burgess

R. Burgess New Member

Not going to drop names but I have also seen a few 2nd generation guys call themselves 1st generation because they trained at one of Bruce Lee's kwoons. I do not agree with this. However, JKD and its politics has been an ongoing issue between camps. To me rank or generation does not mean skill.

10. Hannibal

I like you already!

11. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

This is interesting stuff as am just starting JKD, all the politics in ninjutsu used to do my head in too

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm third generation JKD student. I always thought that sounded pretty cool.

13. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Does it help with your comps? Lol