Knowing the sharks from the guppies

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Napitenkah, Dec 12, 2012.

1. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Crikey. I'm glad you joined the MAP and can share your experiences.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

*Adopts Colonel Nathan R. Jessep voice* You can't handle the truth. ;)

3. savage 77019

savage 77019 Valued Member

If you ever go to jail your martial arts might come in handy.

Martial Arts is great.

A proper self defense class will teach you to recognize a setup.

Anyone can be fooled, if you thing you can't then you're next in the line of victims.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

A better shout than your spamityspamspam one on the intro's thread recently :)

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yeah I wore that one .....it did smell spammy though

6. Simon

Yes thank you. I have been training now for thirty years, so I know a bit about martial arts.

I also am lucky enough to go to a self defence class with an instructor who is recognised at the "go to guy" for self defence training in the UK.

Your trolling won't be tollerated for too much longer. It is clear you don't understand the subject of self defence and we try to keep this forum running along sensible lines.

7. savage 77019

No, I am not trolling. You're right I didn't know much about self-defense. Who in their right mind would purposely tempt criminals by walking close to their car next to a mail box? I wouldn't do that now. I'm not sure if I could jump even one fence now.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

[​IMG]
    \
    Oh yeah? I have the death sentence on twelve systems!

9. savage 77019

Alright, whatever. Believe whatever you want.

10. Simon

savage 77019, I'm sorry but it is the persona you are giving off that has led to the replies so far.

Several stories, none of which sound real and none really related to martial arts.

All of your posts centre around self defence and although you may have been in a few dangerous situations, it is clear you don't understand the subject of self defence.

You are preaching to a community of martial artists of all ages, experiences and levels of skill and we've seen posts like yours before.

Tough guy stories don't tend to go down to well, especially in the self defence section.

11. savage 77019

Tough guy stories? What about me running is tough? Tough how about stupid? When I was young and couldn't control my emotions or body and ended up in jail.

A few tough situations?

I suffer from PTS and don't ever wish what I've experience on anyone who reads my posts.

What I am trying to describe about being setup can be found on this website.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/five_stages.html

12. Napitenkah

Napitenkah Valued Member

I have a question.

To the moderators.

I just read the posting rules, because I did just join.

Though it does say you can comment on what a poster says, or criticize, I believe it does say verbal abuse is not allowed.

What Kuma is saying is more than criticizing what I wrote, but making demeaning assumptions of my life and the value of it.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He really isn't.

14. Hannibal

No it isn't

Saying "you are an idiot" is ad hominem as it is directed at the individual

Saying "you behaved like and idiot" is an opinion offered in light of provided facts/details

Subtle distinction but important

Kuma is offering high level advice to you - advice i 100% endorse - because you acted irresponsibly and only through blind luck managed to escape unscathed.

Your ludicrous claim about "destiny" was being called into question, and rightfully so. You actions were ill advised and your situational and environmental awareness appallingly bad. That is what is being criticized

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Post stupid stuff and you will get called on it.

Whinge about getting called on it and you'll look like an eejit.

So to stop yourself looking like an eejit why don't you highlight exactly what is wrong about Kuma's post?

Seriously grow up a little, or at least get a backbone. If some bloke you don't know calls you on something, on the flippin internet of all places, then engage them in debate and argue your position.

Why the hell is there a need to get all whiny about it all?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Just as a note, this little post has made me make more demeaning assumptions of your life and the value of it than anything else you've written.

If you want to complain to the moderators go ahead, but I would recommend messaging them quietly rather than putting a passive-aggressive untargeted rant in a thread.

Personally to me the situation you describe sounds more like two goldfish rather than having any sharks involved.

17. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

For dealing with a jug full of boiling water and sugar?

18. Napitenkah

Napitenkah Valued Member

Okay, that is how you want it, then the gloves come off.

It is sad that the guy that tried to mug me, over 20 years ago, showed more respect then you members do, when faced with views outside of the fundamentalist ones you learned when you were kids.

Yes, these are the things I heard when I was a kid.

I have been in numerous near encounters before then and after, and dealt with them individually.

But let's look at some of the advice people think is correct enough the belittle other ways.

"Be aware of your surroundings"

Okay, if you are in MR. Roger's neighborhood, you can be aware of your surroundings, but to the OP example, at that time I was living in a gang neighborhood, on the south side, but my job was way up on the north side in an area that was no better.

If you live in some middle class suburb, and go into the city for dinner and a movie, be aware of your surroundings, but I was always in an area where something could happen.

After that particular instance, over 20 years ago, I had already thought of everything you guys said and more, way back then.

I thought, that it could have been some guy that could beat me unconscious in seconds, or it could be a car driving by, and they shot me, to prove they were down with their set.

Or that I didn't have a hand injury, and I punched him back into the street, and some guys in a car saw that, and thought I was assaulting him, and jumped on me.

Where being aware of your surroundings may help in some situations, in others it may cause problems.

Looking like you are aware of your surroundings, in the hood, can set people off.
    1. Because they can see you are nervous and think you are not from around there.
    2. Because you are a narc and are scoping the area.
    3. You are challenging people that would not have otherwise minded you.

I jumped, when he was behind me, because I didn't hear him walking on the sidewalk, but in that situation, there was nothing I could do to prevent him from walking behind, anymore than I could about anything else in the area. No amount of being aware would prevent anything from happening when I had to walk several miles through a rough neighborhood, so I could work to pay rent.
    Which follows the the part that I should not have let him get close to me without a response.
    He was walking on the sidewalk behind me in public.
    What kind of deluded person thinks they can control what other people do in a neighborhood.
    My mistake was jumping, which made him think I was nervous of him, but I couldn't control that, because it was just a surprise reaction.
    I know in the old 1940s military training videos they would say something like, "Stand firmly, look them straight in the eye and say firmly, 'stay away from me!'
    But in reality, in these areas, they would take that as you starting with them.
    I was able to avoid numerous encounters, just in the period lived in that city, by not putting on some facade that if they messed with me, I would smash them, because in those areas, that means you are afraid. The people that act tough in those areas, usually end up hurt or dead.
    Look at how Kuma, for instance challenges people here, in those neighborhoods, he would be fighting all the time, until someone pulled out a gun and shot him eventually.
    People like that incite violence in others.
    It is dangerous to think you can take a set of rules like that into any situation, instead of looking at each encounter personally.
    I am 46, and have been in many encounters and near encounters without them leading to violence or worse violence.
    So you'all are marking your limits by judging.
    It is possible to ask for more information without being disrespectful, but that is harder to do, so people on forums rarely do it.
    I got alot a more.

19. Hannibal

Kuma and I see a lot of violence daily - can you guess why? Can you also guess why those tired cliches and excuses you are trotting out fall a little flat? The former will give you the latter

I walk around permanently aware - always have. How many times have. Every area you claim is bad I can probably match - if its that bad all the more reason to switch on.

No one is judging YOU - they are judging your own story and actions contained therein. This is a discussion board not a therapy session

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Uh oh...

So because you were always in dangerous areas you became unaware of dangerous things happening around you? Seems to me that'd be the exact opposite of what you'd do. It took me weeks after returning home from the US from my last deployment to not react to loud bangs like they were an IED or incoming mortar. But hey, because I was in a dangerous area, I was allowed to ignore dangerous things.

No, you can't control where other people go. You can, however, control yourself. If it's a mostly abandoned street and someone gets behind me, I put distance between us (e.g. crossing the street). If they follow me, they're now a threat in my eyes and I react appropriately.

What's funny is you automatically assume so much yet are incorrect in many of your assumptions. The further this thread goes along, the more enjoyable it will be when you realize how deep you put your foot in your mouth. I'd say you're right about at the ankle right now.

Many of us on MAP, as Hannibal already pointed out, deal with violence on a regular basis. Through training and/or experience we might've picked up a thing or two. Nobody could possibly be an expert in violence, but of the tidbits we see we do get a little bit of understanding about it. Sorry if we're not all impressed and on your leg like a Chihuahua that just ate a plateful of oysters over a situation you basically got lucky in yet claim is some kind of insightful encounter.