Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

How did you feel coming back after a bit of a break to let injuries heal? Did you feel like you had more ability/less, more endurance/less, or that your training suffered a significant amount?

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

well, I thought my Osoto Gari was stronger before the break, now I have the same placement and passing too close issues, since it is quite hard to pass someone without them picking it up on the nearside arm.

though, since I haven't been in the gym either and doing like no strength work in some bizarre way it felt better. Randori was probably a little bit solid arm though as much from lack of randori practice since with all you big guys - it's rare to get more than two women in the same class anywhere near my weight category and sometimes even all the guys are significantly heavier too - so I was a bit nervous tbh

3. Princess Haru

Judo 4.30 - 6.30pm

I am so so so so knackered (am I allowed to say that). Everything hurts. It was a small class at first, and usually I equate that with light easy going but one of the black belts was competing tomorrow and we started with a continuation of the newaza chokes. Now I know I'm a bit of a masochist, but even I had to concede my neck was still hurting from Thursday, since I probably tapped late since well I could still breathe :Angel: though the next day I had like lovebite bruises on my neck. Emm, awkward! So more turnover rolls into a lapel choke, then we looked at switching the leg hold for arm to get what I thought was Okuri Eki Jime but now after a bit of searching I know it to be Kata Te Jime from turtle position, and after some other counter/resistance options, added in the arm bar Juji Gatame

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxdZvMH3erk"]Judo Roll TURN OVER STRANGLE ( eri guruma jime ) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-eKT-9qxGA"]break grip for Jujigatame (armbar) - Kashiwazaki Judo - YouTube[/ame]

Then we did some kumi kata looking at release of grip by going over their arm, and pulling the lapel of your gripped side as pre-emptive move for your own attack (alas I can't find a single video featuring this break, maybe I should start making Judo videos). Anyway, we then had a group show and tell when demonstrating what throw we would do following the one arm grip, overgrip break, to throw. Mine was more of a Kaeshi Waza based on Tani Otoshi. Ever since I saw it on the Olympics I've had a little Judo crush on this throw :eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjP62OdRYTg"]Tani Otoshi variation - YouTube[/ame]

Then we did some randori. I think maybe 6 changes, so I partnered a 4th kyu, a 6th kyu tho experienced BJJer, a 1st dan, a 1st kyu, the 6th kyu again and a 3rd dan to finish. I was done! Surprisingly I got in some throws though:)

4. Princess Haru

Judo 8.00 - 9.30pm

After the triple last week I don't feel all that bad (apart from the black eye and a few small bruises). Gary's warmup tonight was a bit of killer. Then it was a joint effort between Gary and Nick working on Kumi Kata, continuing on from the Saturday.

Tonight is the first class when I wore my red belt. I'm so tired of waiting for BJA to send me my red sticker to add to my licence when it has been ages since I graded. Do they mess everyone around like this? I know we've just had the Olympics and so some people could have been more busy than usual but even so...

There were only two women in class today, a brown belt and me, so I didn't get a lot of chances for randori with so many black belts in the class and going hard at it. Frustrated. Hope to push myself more next class. With my time off and later lunch I felt quite lethargic all evening.

In other news: unsurprisingly, the awesome white belt I partnered last week is actually a black belt! Just as I thought. Four people in the club took part in some big competition last weekend. I don't think any medalled but it was a ranking event (whatever that is).

5. Princess Haru

Judo 6-8pm

More work on newaza. Starting with a rolling kata te jime, working in combinations to juji gatame. Turnover with both hands grabbing lapel to pushing one arm behind for kata te jime, the combination leaning back, pushing legs up and pulling your body away so face down while partner is trapped with shoulders held and back on mat. We did some counters too which led to adding the combinations into the movement.

Then a bit of newaza with various partners. I must be improving as at least managed a few recognisable holds, some juji gatame, kneeling and on my back, several chokes, a mune gatame, tried but couldn't get sankaku jime. I got out of a few holds but rarely with the brown belts

I'm just putting this here to remind me of things I hadn't thought of trying for ground work [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94WKnybAcw"]Juji gatame, hara gatame, hiza gatame - YouTube[/ame]

6. Princess Haru

Judo 4.30-6.30

Fairly small relaxed class, with a beginner. Looked at some sacrifice techniques: Sumi Gaeshi and Tomoe Nage. Then a bit of randori. My shoulder is really hurting so going to have to get it checked at GPs. Later continued with some variations on the Turnover to Kata Te Jime. Afterwards we all went to the pub, and I still feel ill:(

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us-aujIYxBc"]Sumi Gaeshi - YouTube[/ame]

7. Princess Haru

Judo 6-8pm

Back after skipping Tuesday class as I thought it would do my shoulder some good (and emm I have another interest which is sometimes on Tuesdays)

Took 400mg ibuprofen before class and it helped. Breakfall practice was a bit sore but after the warmup it was okay, might have kicked in by then.

We got told to consider the throws for each of our relevant next gradings in randori. And as a starting point we did uchi komi on Seoi Nage, for a little while. Then added in a counter, so it became a combination Seoi Nage - Ko Uchi Gake? for a while. Then switched this to Ko Uchi - Seoi Nage. Then Osoto Gari - Seoi Nage... Seoi Nage - Osoto Gari. Lastly any mix of Seoi Nage, Ko Uchi, Osoto Gari or O Uchi.

After this lot we took it to Newaza for a Throw to Pin, then some transition pins. Then a bit of Randori to finish. My shoulder felt okay but didn't want to push it with little partners my size :(

I was also a bit put out on my last partner change with a unknown new brown belt who just annihilated me on the floor. Was a bit ****ed off, and it had been a good class for me upto that point.:woo:

Edit: Did 14 pullups after class (5, 5, 4), first in ages

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

good combos and counters ..

Dont be PO'd by a brown belt.. learn from each encounter and see where his weaknesses lie ..

Smurf

9. Princess Haru

Judo 4.30 - 6.30pm

Quite a busy class for a Saturday afternoon. Spent all of it focussing on theory for next grading, and by theory I mean practice, just based on what techniques for relevant level instead of the usual mix of anything from red to brown belt level.

So the green belts (going for blue) started with Koshi Guruma, so this is what we practiced in Uchi Komi, followed by more relevant level Ippon Seoi Nage, same hip action, different grip, then O Goshi. And while on O Goshi also did Uki Goshi to show difference.

Then we went to Newaza, starting on Kesa Gatame, then a slight diversion again to Tate Shiho Gatame. Some turtle - Turnover attacks, first with pulling the arms through into Kesa Gatame; gripping a lapel and sleeve and pulling/pushing for Mune Gatame.

I have to chase the BJA and pay over phone for my 6th kyu as they have twice lost my cheque payment, probably be doing my yellow 5th kyu before getting it at this rate...

got on better with that brown belt at the pub after, but I was sensible this time and escaped after a couple as I have stuff to do tomorrow...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBsKtf87cY"]O-goshi, Uki-goshi,Tsuri-goshi, Tsurikomi-goshi, Sode tsurikomi-goshi, Koshi-guruma - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08dWNJzU9z4"]Turtle Turnover - YouTube[/ame]

10. Princess Haru

Missed class to catch up with a friend, well that and he is quite good at massage, and my shoulder feels a lot better, so it's going to help with getting back to being fully fit :)

11. Princess Haru

Judo 6-8pm

Oops, nearly forgot to log this. Mix of working on combination throws with a few partners. Tried Ko Uchi- Osoto Gari, Osoto Gari- Seoi Nage, and Osoto Gari- Ouchi. Then some randori, only two pairs on the mat so plenty of space to move around. Of course I promptly forgot to try them when the randori came as I spent more time trying to get or break grip and avoid getting thrown. Got my first grade back from the BJA, no hassle at all:rolleyes:

At least the shoulder felt fine for the class, I had taken some ibuprofen again just in case.

12. Princess Haru

Judo 4.30 -6.30pm

It was quite a small class though we had Alec who the other guys really respect, as you would a 5th dan. After warmup concentrated on Harai Goshi as a technique, different grips, then with Osoto Gari as opener in combination. Then we did some Nage Komi with Osoto Gari - Harai Goshi, Osoto Gari - Seoi Nage, and Ko Soto Gari - Osoto Gari. To finish we did some newaza. I picked up a tip about attacking with a Juji Gatame to keep the arms close to me. Earlier my white belt uke who I'd thought was quite good at standing technique Tachi waza knew nothing about what went on with Ne waza so I explained the various basic pins and an arm bar.

I'm just back from the pub. Woah those guys can drink.... I hope I'm still alive tomorrow:bang:

13. Princess Haru

Judo - 6-8pm (Thurs)

Another small class, the calm before the storm of freshers week, not long away. We did mainly Uchi Komi with a little Nage Komi and Randori at the end.

I chose as my favoured technique Osoto Gari, just as it's been one I have tried working on for ages. Then we had to try Tai Otoshi, and didn't realise I lean over too much to compensate for a weak pulling action, not getting the tilt in randori so it doesn't throw. Also finding it tricky to get enough body drop so as my trailing leg is below my partners knee at the point of throw. Oddly my Harai Goshi was much better, static and moving about.

14. Princess Haru

Judo - 4.30-6.30 (Sat)

Another small class, mostly concentrating on blue and brown belt syllabus techniques which was interesting as some were things I'd seen in the Olympics like Tani Otoshi (useful counter to Tai Otoshi), or tried in class like Yoko/ Tomoe Nage and Ko Uchi Gake Mata Makikomi (which sometimes get caught when trying for Ippon Seoi Nage), others never attempted before like Kata Hiza te Ouchi Gake Ashi Dori (bit of a mouthful), Yoko Gake. In the warmup did a lot of Seoi Nage uchi komi

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf0rKMS_nLU"]Uki waza Yoko otoshi Tani otoshi Yoko wakare Yoko gake Daki wakare - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omycfCjQaaQ"]Advanced Judo Study - Kodokan Throws - YouTube[/ame]

15. Princess Haru

Judo 8-10pm (Tues)

Some more students back, Freshers Fair next week. Last week of the weird and wonderful techniques before settling on the classics for first term. After the warm up and some Uchi Komi we did a pick up technique only allowed as a secondary. I think it was Kata Uchi Ashi Dori. Starting with Ko Uchi to get the leg up then grabbing it while also holding lapel with other hand. Obviously on its own the technique would lead to disqualification under current IJF competition rules.... then we did lots of Randori. Annoyingly I aggravated a groin strain from Saturday that I forgot about. Still its the most randori I've done in ages.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZfKQiuyQ-Y"]Kata-Ashi-Dori (Ein-Bein-Wegzieher) - Judowurf - YouTube[/ame]

16. Princess Haru

Judo 6-8pm (Thurs)

Started off with a interesting variation on the warmup, going across the mats with pulling, then pushing uke, I particularly liked the alternatives of pushing, pulling and sidewards turn. We continued into Uchi Komi with this, then started on some arm blocking, followed by hip blocking.

This is where I got unstuck when one of the guys I partnered hit me hard enough to dead leg. I could barely walk, and later couldn't sit down. In the next exercise including hip block then immediately following the advantage with a counter throw I was still in a daze and for first time ever left the class with another 45 minutes to go. I was upset:cry:

Alexi, my bestest and prettiest uke* was leaving for Singapore later, so I forced myself to return for the post training drinks.

* I never got that randori throw in, she was good.

17. Princess Haru

Judo 8-9.30pm (Tues)

Another less than impressive performance. I've been slow in buying another gi since been really feeling a crisis of confidence on what I know and the things that happen in class. Today was the first class for some freshers, so lots of new faces, maybe half the class. Got through the warmup okay, did some Uchi Komi and that was okay until we went to Nage Komi with 1/2 throw for throws, some people were doing other throws but I stuck with Osoto Gari. My new partner, a brown belt from France.

First couple of throws a bit hard. Try not to let it show, though mess up my supposedly not resisted throw. Grrrr. One sided, then he ramps up the competition throw, effectively landing on me so I can't get a breakfall in. I've never been so close to actually punching someone in a judo class. Luckily, I didn't, and it was spotted by the instructors. Next was trying to show the difference between proper technique throwing and competition/tactical throwing.

I can see the club's problem. They want new people at grade with competition experience for next year's varsity squad, so hardly want to water down the training. Yet I'm not a brown belt, I'm also nowhere near as young as this guy and he's probably fitter and stronger if maybe close enough to my weight/size. It's the same arrogance I had with my (not so) favourite female randori partner from last year who resisted during the grading, yes nice bit of ukeing that!

Needless to say I was left not wanting to go up for any randori since I really couldn't trust the more experienced students there and there was only one person my size and she's had a lot less training

If it didn't mean travelling out of town to one of the villages 7 miles away I would be tempted to change clubs:confused::(

I wasn't the only one to have a bad class. One of the blue belt guys, quite big did his shoulder during newaza and the class stopped at that point. An old injury I think, maybe he'll be out for a while.

18. Princess Haru

so yesterday trying out my new 16kg kettlebell I did 4 x 50 KB Swings, between 8pm and midnight, just when I got up to make a cuppa :)

Judo 6-8pm (Thurs)

More new people today, I was partnered with one for most of the class, she was good. I felt more like my level was validated, sometimes partnering with a higher grade who doesn't help you at all inspires you to try harder or more likely want to give up.

After the warmup we concentrated most of the class on Tai Otoshi, and boy did mine need work. It was coming along a bit by the end, but is still one of my weak throws. I know that I need that lift and tilt action much more than the turn and try pull them over that often happens in Randori.

I managed a decent counter with the step over and O uchi Gari, though was tempted by Tani Otoshi. I couldn't get an ashi waza with it, my feet fumbling around for the right action or getting it and being let down with no upper body assistance in the right pull/push

All in all (apart from an accidental leakage, lucky I didnt do any Randori at the end) it was a good class!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0BAmgezQWg"]Judo Seminar: Tai Otoshi Body Drop by Neil Adams - YouTube[/ame]

19. Princess Haru

I've been doing more KB Swings with my new kettlebell as and when. Also added in sets of Cleans, and Cleans & Presses.

Judo 4.30-6.30pm (Sat)

Cambridge University Judo Club: post freshers session. There were almost as many girls at this session as guys, I dunno if this is in any way influenced by success at the Olympics as the mat was kinda busy.

So what were they shown? Warmup, some footwork drills. Rolls and breakfalls. Standing throws: Osoto Otoshi and O Goshi. Floorwork: Kesa Gatame and Mune Gatame. Demo of Randori and Nage Komi

20. Princess Haru

New beginners class. Helping out the new influx. Techniques covered: front and back rolls. Side breakfall, front rolling breakfall. Tai Otoshi, Osoto Otoshi. Kesa Gatame. Transition from Osoto Otoshi to Kesa Gatame. Escapes from Kesa Gatame.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARDeMEP_V1k"]Osoto otoshi - Osto guruma - Osoto gaeshi - O guruma - Ashi guruma - Uchi mata - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012