How much money do they make?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by vampyregirl, May 16, 2012.

1. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Anyone know what kind of paydays the MMA fighters get? Is it compromble to boxing where the top guys have multimillion dollar fights?

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

heck not that much. unless you're on TV. even then the pay is crap unless you're winning.

most do it for fun.
    dont quit your day job.

3. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

The top UFC, and Pride fighters make a fair bit. Many a times in fight cards it doesn't matter who wins, there's a price set up before the fight, for example a 60-40 split in a 400k fight. That's not measly.

UFC 145

The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.[10]

• Jon Jones: $400,000 (no win bonus) def. Rashad Evans: $300,000
    • Rory MacDonald: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus) def. Che Mills: $8,000
    • Ben Rothwell: $104,000 (includes $52,000 win bonus) def. Brendan Schaub: $14,000
    • Michael McDonald: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Miguel Torres: $32,000
    • Eddie Yagin: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus) def. Mark Hominick: $17,000
    • Mark Bocek: $46,000 (includes $23,000 win bonus) def. John Alessio: $10,000
    • Travis Browne: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Chad Griggs: $27,000
    • Matt Brown: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus) def. Stephen Thompson: $8,000
    • Anthony Njokuani: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. John Makdessi: $12,000
    • Mac Danzig: $54,000 (includes $27,000 win bonus) def. Efrain Escudero: $10,000
    • Chris Clements: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus) def. Keith Wisniewski: $10,000
    • Marcus Brimage: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Maximo Blanco: $13,000
    Sauce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_145

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  4. Mangosteen

400k fights? didnt realise it was actually close to that for fighting.
    explains how GSP keeps training year round.

fight of the night is only 10000 as is submission. is it more for the awards than the money?

im guessing they have to pay their fight camps a fair bit though

5. CrowZer0

If you look at the last title fight it was a 700k payout, I'm sure other bonuses were involved, managers usually get 10% agents about 10% and if they have a publicist 5%. Usually their nutrition and training costs are all handled by sponsors, a sponsor could basically double a fighters money. So that Tapout shirt or Met Rx label they wear gives them A LOT of money, I'm not talking an average fighter but most of the top 10-20 fighters make a fair amount on sponsorship alone.

6. CrowZer0

Ben Rothwell: $104,000 (includes $52,000 win bonus) def. Brendan Schaub: $14,000 Look at the difference in that one! Ben Rothwell must have one hell of an agent!

7. Mangosteen

damn man, imma put me out some street fight videos like Kimbo and get me an agent.
    15 minute beating where i can throw in the towel anytime for 15,000 bucks doesnt sound that bad!

8. CrowZer0

You need to build up a profile, if you want I can represent you, but because I'm so good I charge 15%.

9. Mangosteen

lets do this!
    im find the biggest friend i know and have him where a tap out t-shirt and tell him to let me win in a bunch of "street fight" vids.
    i'll use kimura variations in all the vids to make it seem like my signature and call it a double wristlock and pretend to be from a catch background.

10. CrowZer0

Best agent ever Ari Gold! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTf3YDNAT70"]Ari Gold: Super Agent? (Part five: Sealing the deal) - YouTube[/ame]

11. jh1

jh1 Valued Member

Peanuts

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Compared to what?

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

the way the UFC is set up, the money is made by the headline acts, ie title fights, and those that win fight of the night, knock out of the night or sub of the night.
    Your pay day can go from £15,000 to £100,000 if you can fight of the night and or knockout of the night, otherwise by the time you have paid your cornermen, camp sparring fighters and managers etc you dont come out with much money.
    Its a way to keep you aggressive in the cage and the fights interesting

if you think about it coming home with $20,000 when you take out the above costs and when you probably only fight 4 or 5 time a year isnt that grerat, hence the need for sponsers

14. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's more like 50,000. For fighters on the undercard it can make a huge difference, a flying armbar can be the difference between 10 grand and 60 grand.

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Bare in mind guys that a lot of that money goes to the training camp, the fighters food bill and mortgage!

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

What, your income doesn't go on your food bill and mortgage?????

17. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

A top fighter like Anderson Silva, GSP, or Randy when he still competed could also command a certain percentage of pay per view buys, which apparently can run into the millions per fight. But this is only for the top echelon.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, compared to boxing they don't make as much, but I think it's okay. It does mean that not every UFC fighter can retire from fighting alone though :/

19. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Bottom level guys in the UFC (keep in mind most people have to spend years building a record just to get into the UFC) will usually earn anywhere from 2k-20k, plus the same as a win bonus. Champs + Top contenders can get 100k+, though this isn't always the case if the fighter has just reached the higher levels. Some fighters negotiate for a higher figure with no win bonus, others still have the same double up win bonus.

In demand fighters also receive signing bonuses and other 'incentives', as well as PPV %'s. There's an article floating about that breaks down Overeem's income from the Brock fight (it had to be released in relation to his court case vs Golden Glory). He was paid something like 250k to fight + 125k to win. With the signing bonus and PPV %'s, the document showed earnings of 1mil+

Unless you're top 10 in your weight class though, don't expect to live the high life.

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I think a lot of the young 'uns forget that in real life there is a lot of overheads ;)

And I don't think many people realise how expensive it is to feed a world class fighter :D