Employers and Facebook

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Gripfighter, May 10, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

http://www.classwarfareexists.com/democrats-third-attempt-so-employers-cant-ask-for-your-facebook-password/

personally id walk out of any job interview that asked this of me and not without telling them what I thought of them. My general feelings on employment and facebook are that the law and the way people view social networking are not moving fast enough compared to how fast its influence is spreading. Facebook is now as integral a communication device to many people as the telephone but with almost no regulation. People are really struggling to accept or catch on to how something that was part of there private life only a few years ago is now very much a part of there public persona. People should have the freedom to call there work crap , but they need to be better educated about there online footprint and realize social networking sites are not what they where 3 or 4 years ago.

2. niftyniffler

niftyniffler Valued Member

I am inclined to agree with you on all counts.
    In addition - people in positions of responsibility over minors (such as teachers) should all be trained/guided in what is good and bad internet etiquette and probably encouraged to avoid social networking. Its really not a good idea to add school pupils as friends for example with things the way they are. I probably would not have a facebook page at all if I were still teaching in school - I would just go ahead and shut it down. Even though there is nothing in my facebook that I feel would need hiding and conduct myself on there as I would publically -its simply not worth the risks.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If I post something that could be considered "a negative view" of my employer, I am liable to get fired.

Since then I've pretty much refrained from mentioning work on Facebook, except in private chat.

4. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Yah my mom's a teacher and she never adds students - teachers avoid that can of worms lol!

5. niftyniffler

niftyniffler Valued Member

Sadly there are some teachers who seem to remain clueless .... and then are surprised when it backfires on them!

6. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

I heard too many cases of a teacher saying something idiotic on Facebook about his/her students and gets canned for it.

I deleted all my social networking accounts. There is no such a thing as online privacy on those sites; even if you're cautious about who you're adding, saying, etc. there's still a risk.

In fact, if you have your email address view-able on your account, it's easily hack-able; almost insultingly easy (I had my account hack not once, but TWICE). There are people who want your personal information to access your bank accounts, etc. and I was surprised on how much personal information I had said online that can be collected from the numerous chats I had with friends over the years.

7. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

put my email to Only Me. Thanks I didnt know that. :)

8. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Hey, no problem! I highly recommend changing the log in email because it's already been seen and can be used to access your account. I would make an email account that no one knows of, not even your closest friends, and make it your bank, etc. account so even if you lose your personal account, important information won't be endangered.

I barely started learning these things too. Hope it helps.

9. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I was addicted to Facebook for about 5 years, I deleted it about a year ago now and have never felt better. I don't care about what someone's dog did or that they ate broccoli for lunch. It's just way too much information, the last straw was my boss at work (whose add I couldn't decline) commenting on my activities and so on. Oh you went out last night, are you sure you should be doing that? :|

11. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I have a friend who put too much information on FB probably just have it bite her in the ass. She was in an auto-accident where someone rear-ended her (Heh. Ahem) a few years ago. Her back has been damaged since and she has been in a legal battle to have her medical bills paid by their insurance company. The insurance company hired a PI who probably used her FB page to document any physical activity she was engaging in to claim she is not really as injured as she actually is.

12. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

I don't use my real last name on FB. I create an account just for FB and I don't use it for anything else.

If an employer insisted I give them my FB account info, I'd just simply say I don't have one. Simple :)

People need to stop posting everything on Fb, tho...