If you were going to live in another country?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by vampyregirl, May 7, 2012.

1. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Ahh yes but Sweden is the only Scandinavian country named after a root vegtable

2. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

My living in the pacific rim area for the last 40 yrs on and off would have a determining fact in where I would live.. But for the purpose of this thread, I think my choice of places to live abroad would have to be either Indonesia, Singapore or even Taiwan.. Taiwan has one of the more stable economies of the pacrim area and since I have lived in the Philippines, korea and Taiwan.. My choice would most definitely be Taiwan for the financial prespective. I passed up on an opportunity to go work on mainland china due to personal reasons, but that is a distinct possiblity also.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm not trying to take the mick at all, but I am genuinely curious about where you thought that Sweden is if not in Scandanavia.

4. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Watch out for harper.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I couldn't live anywhere where people didn't queue properly.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

hahahaha... you'd go batty in Asia then! :p

People... not such a big deal to go to live in another country! Just pack the bags and get your hustle on. I've done it most of my life. Eventually cycle back around to the countries you started in because the statute of limitations is up. :p

7. slipthejab

yeah there are some great things in Taiwan... not the least of which are lots of mountains, awesome selection of green tea, well endowed women, really good surf and close enough to hop around the rest of Asia! Boom!

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

For sure. Even Italy sent me a little squiffy and they queue a little bit.
    I couldn't live anywhere without basic driving protocol too. So that's most capital cities even in the western world and most of Africa and Asia too. :)
    I wouldn't want to live somewhere with only a couple of types of weather. Especially not anywhere that was mostly hot and sunny. Variety is nice.
    New Zealand maybe. Canada perhaps. Norway or another Scandi country.

9. slipthejab

Yeah any of those countries you mentioned... I'd give a go! :D

10. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

For some reason I thought Sweden was south of Scandinavia. I went and looked it up and was surprised it was so far north in Europe. I have no idea why I had this misconception. Sadly, I've taken college geography. It was 17 years ago though, in my defense.

11. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

An Iranian guy i know online wants to emigrate over here. I told him he should wait until he graduates university, as it will make him more in demand in the job market. He is studying finance. There is a pretty affluent Persian community in Vancouver, educated Iranians who didn't want to live under Sharia, so theres opportunities here.
    in order to claim refugee status, which many Iranians, Somalis, Afghans, Sri Lankans do, he would have to prove political or religous oppression or that he is in immediate danger. He told me many Iranians who claim to have tortured, or have family that were tortured by the government are not telling the truth. They just say that to gain asylum in Canada or some other western country.

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Well the political map of Europe has changed a bit over the last couple of decades, lots of new countries been carved out of the old ones and so forth. (I know Sweden hasn't changed in two hundred years, but I'm just trying to make you feel a bit better. :) )

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Why is that surprising?

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I want to visit California, warm, sunny, and the grid system looks like it could be easy to navigate.

Also, lots of ridiculously good martial arts places, and boxing gmys....

15. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'd like to live in Thailand or Brazil.

16. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Flinging Poo since 1978

I'd love to try Canada or New Zealand but to be honest I'm reasonably happy in the UK.

17. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Australia, definetly. Sunny weather, beaches and dangerous animals. Rockzorz.