Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Fun and Games > Books
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 25-Apr-2012, 03:04 PM
Lord of the Laser Bears

Thanked 5,588 Times in 2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASmith View Post
Probably more-so with the non-Howard ones but even the Howard ones suffer from it a little I think.
Actually there is one non-Howard one (can't remember which one but it's one of the better ones) where Conan goes back to Cimmeria and in the process defeats a bull barehanded. But...he gets so badly beaten up he has to go to bed for a few days. Obviously he recovers fairly quickly from something that would have killed a lesser man but he still got damaged and paid the price.
Whereas in the one I'm reading at the moment (the Conquerer) he fights a giant ghost ape in a dungeon, is described has having his tendons wrenched and being crushed, but then just carries on like he'd just stubbed his toe.
Stuff like that.
Yeah, that's true. I know the story you're talking about, though I can't remember the title. But yeah, he's definitely a superhero in many ways. That's one of the things I like about "Beyond the Black River." There's another character who's also heroic and certainly not Conan's caliber, but still manages to carry much of the story.
Old 25-Apr-2012, 03:04 PM
Lord of the Laser Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP View Post
You guys might like this site, lots of good debate and info

http://www.conan.com/invboard/index.php
I've spent a fair amount of time there myself.
Old 25-Apr-2012, 10:09 PM
Ka nama kaa lajerama!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASmith View Post
Probably more-so with the non-Howard ones but even the Howard ones suffer from it a little I think.
Actually there is one non-Howard one (can't remember which one but it's one of the better ones) where Conan goes back to Cimmeria and in the process defeats a bull barehanded. But...he gets so badly beaten up he has to go to bed for a few days. Obviously he recovers fairly quickly from something that would have killed a lesser man but he still got damaged and paid the price.
Whereas in the one I'm reading at the moment (the Conquerer) he fights a giant ghost ape in a dungeon, is described has having his tendons wrenched and being crushed, but then just carries on like he'd just stubbed his toe.
Stuff like that.
Thats always been a thing for Conan, I went on a Conan reading spree when I was incapacitated and I must admit I got annoyed at the amount of times when we are told about how he moves with the ferocity of a jungle cat, or that "savages" were greater than civilized people, or the blood mad haze he underwent etc. They are fun books but I need to take them in small doses now.

The First Sword of Braavos does not run!!!!
Old 26-Apr-2012, 09:12 AM
Cactus Schlong

Thanked 9,692 Times in 4,460 Posts
Quote:
I know the story you're talking about, though I can't remember the title.
It's Conan the valourous. After "Conan the Warrior" (because it contains the best Conan story - Beyond the black river) it's one of my favourite Conan books. I love the Cimmerian tribes (the Gwalla (I think?) with their knotted clubs) and the way that Conan is considered soft compared to other Cimmerians because he scoops up some snow to make a pillow.
ap Oweyn (26-Apr-2012)
Old 15-May-2012, 08:39 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap Oweyn View Post
I don't think so. Though, coincidentally, the very first Conan story (The Phoenix on the Sword) begins with text taken directly from the first Kull story (By This Ax, I Rule!). Kull apparently didn't take off straight away, so Howard recycled some of his own material to kick start another character idea, which DID take off. Both stories begin with an attempt on the main character's life in the royal bedchambers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kull_the_Conqueror

Quote:
It is a movie adaptation of Howard's Conan novel The Hour of the Dragon, with the protagonist changed to the author's other barbarian hero Kull.
Quote:
The film was originally intended to be a third Conan film, Conan the Conqueror. The protagonist was changed due to Arnold Schwarzenegger's refusal to reprise his role as Conan and Kevin Sorbo's reluctance to redo a character already played.
Old 16-May-2012, 01:07 PM
Lord of the Laser Bears

I stand corrected, by Crom.