Women In Martial Arts:

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 47MartialMan, Jun 29, 2011.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Women In Martial Arts:

Nature has made the female gender of most species less dominate than their male counterparts.

Can women become utilitarian in martial arts despite their lesser physical being?

Can they match their male counterparts pound for pound?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

there's no need to match someone pound for pound.

hit first, and hit right. then keep hitting. those three points are good enough to end any purely physical 1-on-1 confrontation, and vague enough for me to defend them by creating exceptions and wild explanations of them when they are challenged :p

3. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I've submitted bigger guys, yes. At least I'm fairly sure I actually did it and wasn't just being handled with kid gloves, if the fact that I have a pulled serratus from resisting a keylock so hard, as well as hurt connective tissue in various places, is anything to go by...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. Fish Of Doom

and as i have said before and will say again. "woman" and "man" are not entities, they are descriptors of biological sexual dimorphism. some women will be better than some men, and some men will be worse than some women at a variety of things, and that's only considering genetics. a man raised without significant physical activity will be no match for a woman of his same height who grew up doing hard physical labour, other factors being similar.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

can a woman do the same training as men and become equally good? Yeah they can. I would imagine the only reason women seem crapper than men at martial arts now is just because they're hideously outnumbered. MMA you have one decent women's division compared to at least 3 major orgs full of men at the best part of 7 different weight cats. Thai boxing you have the same 5 women fighting for every national title. BJJ you have a couple of hours for women's cats compared to 6-8 hours for all the men.

A woman overcoming her natural disadvantages to men is no different than the advantages some men have over others by being naturally athletic. Gender differences mean next to sod all both in training and life in general other than women have breasts and can give birth. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to bring themselves back to the 21st century.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  6. 47MartialMan

Somewhere in another thread, it was mentioned, size does matter. As for pound by pound, the victor, the better prepared

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Eventually yes size willl triumph over everything else but are all women really that small or is just hideously exagerrated? I ghear this whole "women are naturally small" thing all the time but I'm smaller than all the girls I train with...

8. Fish Of Doom

in a duel type situation, yes. there are ways of fighting that do not involve duelling-type combat.

9. Fish Of Doom

southpaw, remind me again how tall you are? because i think i can one-up you on that one :p

also, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38jmm0a6JK4"]YouTube - ‪hand sparring‬‏[/ame]

10. 47MartialMan

I agree. Would this not be a issue of pound for pound?

Without the aid of drugs, can a woman, pound for pound, be as strong as the male?

If the saying goes, that a woman lighter, or less strong, could prevail over a larger adversary, would be like simply stating;

Martial arts was devised for smaller men to defeat larger ones.

(Keep in mind; I am just throwing out information, which doesn't necessarily reflect my opinions at all times)

11. 47MartialMan

You forgot the rest of my post;

As for pound by pound, the victor, the better prepared

12. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

I don't feel you have to match pound for pound. You are better to be lucky then smart. JMHO

13. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

They're probably gonna have certain disadvantages in competing with men in the sporting sense....but self defense...? No problem!

Oh and it would obviously depend on the style.....like mixed gender fencing would go down a lot differently to mixed gender boxing.

14. righty

righty Valued Member

Yes, for sure.

By counterparts here I am taking it to mean a generalised man and a generalised woman with the same level of training, commitment, intelligence and lifestyle etc. And of course the same weight. In this case the man would likely be a 'victor' simply because at the same weight, a larger proportion of the mans total mass will be taken up with muscle. And the composition of that muscle is that it is more likely to be faster and more powerful than the womens muscle.

This is providing you can sort of control or measure over a situation. A straight man vs. woman fight like this sort of thing doesn't happen that often at all.

15. 47MartialMan

I agree.

I make no error, knowing that a woman, can defeat a man.

Could it also be-this sort of thing doesn't happen that often at all?

Defeat is situational

16. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

It is interesting to think about. Body type is very interesting, the fact you can have long and lean 200 lb man or heavy bone more muscle 200 lb woman is interesting. I guess a big factor is who is faster, who gasses faster, who can take body shots better. One good shot to the head or groin.... it doesn't matter who weighs more...no? Good conversation......

17. 47MartialMan

I have seen many odd situations or confrontations. There were a few, which could be avoided, and a few which had unfolded so quickly, that it could not have been prevented.

In my decades of observations, most women could "take shots", but they were emotionally traumatized and this kept them from prevailing. They simply succumbed to emotion rather to continue to battle.

Of course, this was in a different era (70’s-90’s) were females wanted equality, as they fought for per other “Women’s Rights Movements", but as for “fisticuffs”, they left that for males

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Yes, of course they can. As long as they put in the training and commitment, they will develop the skills.

I think this is true of all sports. To generalise a bit, it is only relatively recently that women doing sport has become more acceptable (particularly sports regarded as 'men's' sports - combat sports, weightlifting etc). So the number of women doing these sports is less, therefore it is relatively easier to get to the top. The often means that the observed skill level at the top of the sport in the women's divisions is less than that in the men's. It doesn't mean that the women are any less talented or capable of developing the skills however. There is also the fact that in some sports, women start doing them later in life than the men, so age for age comparisons mean that the men show more skill than the women purely because they have been training longer. I think this is changing, e.g. women's football is becoming more common in schools (it was virtually unheard of when I was in junior school), so women are starting to gain the skills earlier in life. I think martial arts probably still have a way to go. There is definitely still the taboo of women hitting women, and the jokes over female grapplers still make it socially uncomfortable for a lot of women to take up wrestling sports - not to mention social conditioning about rolling with men.

This ^.

I would argue that this is not a lack of ability but social conditioning making it less acceptable for women to fight. The emotional reaction is due to a lack of experience and years of being told women shouldn't be violent. It's a psychological factor rather than a physical inability to fight.

19. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Equal weight, talent, age, etc - the male species wins EVERY TIME! - providing he is alive and breathing...

... I have seen females beat up men - but they were NOT very feminine, and the men - well, they were NOT very manly. :eek:

20. Fish Of Doom

fallacy. equate men with strong and women with weak, and suddenly any strong woman is not feminine, and any weak man is not manly? please stop posting. seriously.