Looking for a class in Scotland (Dundee)

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by bmlpt, May 19, 2011.

1. bmlpt

bmlpt New Member

Hope someone can help me! I am looking for a Tai Chi class in Scotland (I live in Dundee, but would be happy to travel a bit if a class was worth it).

I have looked at a few options and a lot are not possible as they are during the day while I'm at work.

I also tried a couple and they were very new-agey with no martial content whatsoever.

I studied for a year with Nick Waller in Newcastle (http://www.newcastletaichi.co.uk/Kung_fu.htm) before moving to Scotland, and found his class to be excellent and very practical.

Hope that gives some idea what I'm looking for! Any suggestions would be great :)

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Search Map for Dundee. Must be at least half a dozen threads about the place.

3. bmlpt

bmlpt New Member

I did try the search before I posted, but I couldn't find any real mention of Tai Chi classes (I don't think I mentioned that specifically in my post as it was in the Tai Chi section).

If I've missed something please point it out. Thanks! :)

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Might not be. There's an active member from around those parts, keep checking back. He might know something

5. embra

embra Valued Member

Martial TaiChi in Scotland never mind Dundee is not going to be simple.

Looking at what your Newcastle teacher offers, I can offer the following advice:-

1 TaiChi: best in Scotland is Charlie Gorrie and Billy Leggate (who has a lot of full contact experience) - these are Dan Docherty's guys - in Glasgow and outside Edinburgh. I can post/PM the details later if youre interested.

You can do the same style of Wudang TaiChi with Ian Cameron's guys in Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Personally I prefer Dan's folk - they are much more practical and immerse you quicker.

There was a Yang fellow who used to post on this site who trains in Fife, dont know anything about them though.

2 Baguazhang : there is a Cheng Bagua dude new in Kirkaldy, but I dont know much about him.

In Dundee I think you will find it tough.